Could we send a compressed file (.zip) to server by web service?

ad

I have a compressed file in client.
How could we send this compressed file (.zip) to server by web service?

Martijn Saly

ad said:
I have a compressed file in client.
How could we send this compressed file (.zip) to server by web service?

You might wanna take a look at WSE... it allows for DIME requests which
supports binary attachments to a SOAP request/response, among other things.

ad

What is WSE?
Martijn Saly said:
You might wanna take a look at WSE... it allows for DIME requests which
supports binary attachments to a SOAP request/response, among other
things.

Chris Botha

Any file can be sent as a byte array, so declare the Web service something
like this:
Public Sub UpLoadFile(ByVal FileBytes() As Byte, ByVal FileName As String)
Then on the client side, read the file into a byte array (use
IO.File.OpenRead) and call the Web service.
On the server side write the byte array to disk .

Martijn Saly

Chris said:
Any file can be sent as a byte array, so declare the Web service something
like this:
Public Sub UpLoadFile(ByVal FileBytes() As Byte, ByVal FileName As String)
Then on the client side, read the file into a byte array (use
IO.File.OpenRead) and call the Web service.
On the server side write the byte array to disk .

That would that under water, the file's contents would be B64-encoded on the
client side and B64-decoded on the server side. That's a huge overhead...

ad

My initinal purpose is that:
I have to transfer dataset to server by web service. The rows in the dataset
is so huge(over 8000 records)

Is it worth to compressed before transfer?