    ad Guest

    I have a compressed file in client.
    How could we send this compressed file (.zip) to server by web service?
    ad, Sep 10, 2005

  2. ad

    Martijn Saly Guest

    ad wrote:
    > I have a compressed file in client.
    > How could we send this compressed file (.zip) to server by web service?

    You might wanna take a look at WSE... it allows for DIME requests which
    supports binary attachments to a SOAP request/response, among other things.

    --
    Thanks,

    Martijn Saly
    Martijn Saly, Sep 10, 2005

  3. ad

    ad Guest

    What is WSE?
    "Martijn Saly" <>
    ???????:...

    ad, Sep 11, 2005
  4. ad

    Chris Botha Guest

    Any file can be sent as a byte array, so declare the Web service something
    like this:
    Public Sub UpLoadFile(ByVal FileBytes() As Byte, ByVal FileName As String)
    Then on the client side, read the file into a byte array (use
    IO.File.OpenRead) and call the Web service.
    On the server side write the byte array to disk .

    Chris Botha, Sep 11, 2005
  5. ad

    Martijn Saly Guest

    ad wrote:
    > What is WSE?
    > "Martijn Saly" <>
    > ???????:...
    >
    >>ad wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a compressed file in client.
    >>>How could we send this compressed file (.zip) to server by web service?

    >>You might wanna take a look at WSE... it allows for DIME requests which
    >>supports binary attachments to a SOAP request/response, among other
    >>things.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Martijn Saly

    See here:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/webservices/building/wse

    It's a library that has to be installed on the server, so I hope that's not
    a problem.

    --
    Thanks,

    Martijn Saly
    Martijn Saly, Sep 11, 2005
  6. ad

    Martijn Saly Guest

    Chris Botha wrote:
    > Any file can be sent as a byte array, so declare the Web service something
    > like this:
    > Public Sub UpLoadFile(ByVal FileBytes() As Byte, ByVal FileName As String)
    > Then on the client side, read the file into a byte array (use
    > IO.File.OpenRead) and call the Web service.
    > On the server side write the byte array to disk .

    That would that under water, the file's contents would be B64-encoded on the
    client side and B64-decoded on the server side. That's a huge overhead...

    --
    Thanks,

    Martijn Saly
    Martijn Saly, Sep 11, 2005
  7. ad

    ad Guest

    My initinal purpose is that:
    I have to transfer dataset to server by web service. The rows in the dataset
    is so huge(over 8000 records)

    Is it worth to compressed before transfer?

    "Martijn Saly" <>

    ad, Sep 11, 2005