Could you tell me how to start Tomcat?

Jenny

Hi,

I unzipped the tomcat 4.1.2.4 and changed the folder to c:\tomcat. I
am using windows 2000 server. I setup JAVA_HOME to j2se 1.4 folder and
CATALINA_HOME to C:\tomcat;. (The computer displays: CATALINA_HOME
C:\tomcat;).

When I am under C:\tomcat\bin at the DOS and enter startup, it gave me
error saying the CATALINA_HOME environment variable is not properly
set. When I type
%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\startup at C:\ prompt, it gave me error saying
'C:\tomcat' is not recognized as an internal or external command
operable program or batch file.

The installation guide I used is here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/RUNNING.txt
Could you tell me how to start Tomcat?

Thanks a lot.

Wendy S

Jenny said:
I unzipped the tomcat 4.1.2.4 and changed the folder to c:\tomcat. I
am using windows 2000 server. I setup JAVA_HOME to j2se 1.4 folder and
CATALINA_HOME to C:\tomcat;. (The computer displays: CATALINA_HOME
C:\tomcat;).

Get rid of the semicolon after c:\tomcat and see if that fixes it.

hilz

Jenny said:
Hi,

I unzipped the tomcat 4.1.2.4 and changed the folder to c:\tomcat. I
am using windows 2000 server. I setup JAVA_HOME to j2se 1.4 folder and
CATALINA_HOME to C:\tomcat;. (The computer displays: CATALINA_HOME
C:\tomcat;).
try to remove the ;. at the end.
simply, set CATALINA_HOME to c:\tomcat

HTH
hilz

Juha Laiho

Jenny said:
I unzipped the tomcat 4.1.2.4 and changed the folder to c:\tomcat. I
am using windows 2000 server. I setup JAVA_HOME to j2se 1.4 folder and
CATALINA_HOME to C:\tomcat;. (The computer displays: CATALINA_HOME
C:\tomcat;).

CATALINA_HOME is not a PATH-like variable, so lose the ";.". Just
use "C:\tomcat".