Could you tell me how to start Tomcat?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jenny, Jan 4, 2005.

  1. Jenny

    Jenny Guest

    Hi,

    I unzipped the tomcat 4.1.2.4 and changed the folder to c:\tomcat. I
    am using windows 2000 server. I setup JAVA_HOME to j2se 1.4 folder and
    CATALINA_HOME to C:\tomcat;. (The computer displays: CATALINA_HOME
    C:\tomcat;).

    When I am under C:\tomcat\bin at the DOS and enter startup, it gave me
    error saying the CATALINA_HOME environment variable is not properly
    set. When I type
    %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\startup at C:\ prompt, it gave me error saying
    'C:\tomcat' is not recognized as an internal or external command
    operable program or batch file.

    The installation guide I used is here:

    http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/RUNNING.txt
    Could you tell me how to start Tomcat?

    Thanks a lot.

    Jenny, Jan 4, 2005

  2. Jenny

    Wendy S Guest

    "Jenny" <> wrote
    > I unzipped the tomcat 4.1.2.4 and changed the folder to c:\tomcat. I
    > am using windows 2000 server. I setup JAVA_HOME to j2se 1.4 folder and
    > CATALINA_HOME to C:\tomcat;. (The computer displays: CATALINA_HOME
    > C:\tomcat;).

    Get rid of the semicolon after c:\tomcat and see if that fixes it.

    --
    Wendy S

    Wendy S, Jan 4, 2005

  3. Jenny

    hilz Guest

    "Jenny" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I unzipped the tomcat 4.1.2.4 and changed the folder to c:\tomcat. I
    > am using windows 2000 server. I setup JAVA_HOME to j2se 1.4 folder and
    > CATALINA_HOME to C:\tomcat;. (The computer displays: CATALINA_HOME
    > C:\tomcat;).

    try to remove the ;. at the end.
    simply, set CATALINA_HOME to c:\tomcat

    HTH
    hilz

    hilz, Jan 4, 2005
  4. Jenny

    Juha Laiho Guest

    "Jenny" <> said:
    >I unzipped the tomcat 4.1.2.4 and changed the folder to c:\tomcat. I
    >am using windows 2000 server. I setup JAVA_HOME to j2se 1.4 folder and
    >CATALINA_HOME to C:\tomcat;. (The computer displays: CATALINA_HOME
    >C:\tomcat;).

    CATALINA_HOME is not a PATH-like variable, so lose the ";.". Just
    use "C:\tomcat".
    --
    Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland

    Juha Laiho, Jan 4, 2005