couldn't run ASP file

william

Hi,
I could run hello.htm, but hello.asp. They are same except the file name.
hello.
I set Execute Permission to Script or Excutable(windows 2000, IIS5.0) from Home directory of IIS property.

Any idea?

Thanks.
william

Jeff Cochran

Hi,
I could run hello.htm, but hello.asp. They are same except the file name.
hello.
I set Execute Permission to Script or Excutable(windows 2000, IIS5.0) from Home directory of IIS property.

Any idea?

Can't tell, at least with what you've posted here. What did you
expect to happen when you browsed to the file? And what did happen?
And why would two identical files work for two different technologies?
(Hint: The Heelo World! file is different in HTML from that in
ASP...)

Jeff

william

Hi Jeff,

Basically, I was trying to implement ASP project on windows 2000 box, but couldn't run it. So I wrote a test file, named it to hello.htm, put it under wwwroot folder to use default web site, and I could run it from IE, no error. Then I changed the file name to hello.asp, I couldn't run it, I got error "There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed. HTTP 500 - Internal server error ". My test file is simple as follows:
HELLO!

Thanks.

william

Jas

Go to internet explorer

click Tools - > Internet Options - Advanced Tab

uncheck the box "Show friendly HTTP error messages"

post the message here or read it carefully it will tell you which line has
the problem

william said:
[...]

Start here:

Why do I get a 500 Internal Server error for all ASP errors?
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2109

My test file is simple as follows:
HELLO!

That's not ASP. Try:

<%
Response.Write "Hello World!"
%>

Obvious other issues:

1) You ran the IIS Lockadown tool or URLScan and didn't enable the
ASP extension

2) You run Norton's or other AV software or personal firewall that
blocks script execution.

Jeff

william

Hi Jas

This is the error message I got
"The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT'. The error was 'No such interface supported'.
For additional information specific to this message please visit the Microsoft Online Support site located at: http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

Thanks

william

Bob Barrows [MVP]

william said:
Hi Jas,

This is the error message I got
"The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT'. The error
was 'No such interface supported'.
For additional information specific to this message please visit the
Microsoft Online Support site located at:
http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp. "
So ... did you follow the link and search for KB articles containing your
error message?

Bob Barrows

william

Jas,
I got
"Server Application Error
The server has encountered an error while loading an application during the processing of your request. Please refer to the event log for more detail information. Please contact the server administrator for assistance."
When I check event view, the message is
The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT'. The error was 'No such interface supported'.
For additional information specific to this message please visit the Microsoft Online Support site located at: http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

thanks

william

william

Hi Bob,

Yes, I did.
I tried click Remove button on "Home Directory" from Properties of Internet Services Manager, and click Create, and ok. Still got error.
On the page, the error is "Server Application Error

william said:
Hi Bob,

Yes, I did.
I tried click Remove button on "Home Directory" from Properties of
Internet Services Manager, and click Create, and ok. Still got error.
On the page, the error is "Server Application Error
The server has encountered an error while loading an application
during the processing of your request. Please refer to the event log
for more detail information. Please contact the server administrator
for assistance."

Thanks.

william

What kb article told you to do that?
Were there other articles returned by the search?
Have you tried using Google to search for the error text?

Bob Barrows

william

Hi

I did everything based on the article(http://www.aspfaq.com/2226), and I could run simple asp, but if I add Server.CreateObject("ADODB.CONNECTION"), got error "error '8002801d' Library not registered. "

Thanks
willia

Jeff Cochran

This is the error message I got
"The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT'. The error was 'No such interface supported'.
For additional information specific to this message please visit the Microsoft Online Support site located at: http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp. "

That's not the entire message, you forgot the Event ID number and
source.

Since it was an Event ID of 36 and a source of W3SVC (Yes, I'm
clairvoyant...), see:

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=36&source=w3svc

Jeff