Counter measures to eliminate spammers.

neo

TOASTEDspam.com said:
Return email might not even be used. There are plenty of other ways to
pick up responses than email.

I have been offered 6.2 million US dollars FREE (and I am so stupid
that I have ignored such offers hundreds of time. I lost billion
dollars).

If I had been programmer, I would have created programme to send
automated different replies to inbox of spammer. Somebody like
microsoft, gmail, yahoo should write such software which contain and
update spammers email ID and distribute it freely. If I receive spam
from email id in software, I should be given choice to counter strike,
flood inbox of such spammers.

Millions of legal spammers vs few real spammers. Such spammers will be
eliminated in few days.

Scott Dorsey

neo said:
If I had been programmer, I would have created programme to send
automated different replies to inbox of spammer. Somebody like
microsoft, gmail, yahoo should write such software which contain and
update spammers email ID and distribute it freely. If I receive spam
from email id in software, I should be given choice to counter strike,
flood inbox of such spammers.

It doesn't work. Folks tried that sort of thing, early on in the spam
fight.

If you talk to some of the spammers, you'll see that they are generally
not people who _use_ email. They think of it as a write-only service.
So disrupting their email service effectively is useless.

Now, disrupting their telephone service might be a different thing
altogether.
Millions of legal spammers vs few real spammers. Such spammers will be
eliminated in few days.

I remember hearing that story back around 1996 or so.
--scott

huey.callison

In news.admin.net-abuse.email neo said:
If I had been programmer, I would have created programme to send
automated different replies to inbox of spammer. Somebody like
microsoft, gmail, yahoo should write such software which contain and
update spammers email ID and distribute it freely. If I receive spam
from email id in software, I should be given choice to counter strike,
flood inbox of such spammers.
Millions of legal spammers vs few real spammers. Such spammers will be
eliminated in few days.

You want to eliminate spam by sending a lot more spam?

Do you also hope to eliminate disease by infecting a lot of people with
diseases? Or maybe we could eliminate violence by simply shooting everybody?

user923005

I have been offered 6.2 million US dollars FREE (and I am so stupid
that I have ignored such offers hundreds of time. I lost billion
dollars).

If I had been programmer, I would have created programme to send
automated different replies to inbox of spammer. Somebody like
microsoft, gmail, yahoo should write such software which contain and
update spammers email ID and distribute it freely. If I receive spam
from email id in software, I should be given choice to counter strike,
flood inbox of such spammers.

Millions of legal spammers vs few real spammers. Such spammers will be
eliminated in few days.

My email alias has been used by spammers (who hacked/spoofed the email
headers).

I would not like to get a bazillion emails from angry people and/or
bots because of someone else doing something evil over which I have no
control.

What was your C question, again? I can't quite pick it out of the
tangle.

SneakyP

(e-mail address removed) wrote in

You want to eliminate spam by sending a lot more spam?

Do you also hope to eliminate disease by infecting a lot of people
with diseases? Or maybe we could eliminate violence by simply shooting
everybody?
That would stop it.

Lots of it for sure. Nobody left to kill, or spam, or disease. Nice
scenario.---
meanwhile in the real world, law enforcement and laws do not exist for
this kind of activity to make it stop completely. Spammers are still
making $$$ or nobody would see the volumes of spam that are continuing to
be sent.

It's good to know that Pfizer has been part of the problem, in their own
inept way, so now they cant ignore it as they have in the past.

The total solution to the spam problem appears to hinge on fragmentary
solutions to parts of the same problem. We want to stop the spammers
from spamming, but to do so requires laws and law enforcement which backs
up the law with real force. Then there's the civil side which sues for
tortuous interference of the right of individuals to have their own
mailbox filled with the stuff they asked for and not the intruder's crap
flow.

At this point a good nuke works through all the red tape without the
details and it guarantees the spam will stop.

And yes, this is a runaway theory tried and found deficient. The email
system is rendered useless by both factions ddossing each other out of
the use of email as we know it.

Back to technology and law enforcement. There's a decidedly lack of
cooperation on aprehending and jailing these perps. There are some cases
where spammers have been imprisoned- but far to few of the real total who
are doing it. ramp up the prosecutions, investigations, and quit the
whining - just do it.

--
SneakyP
What's posted in ng stays in ng.

Pambo admits her scorn for MJ victims:

"f'ck the real victims, they don't matter"

<[email protected]>

Keith Thompson

[something about spam]

The original discussion was cross-posted to
news.admin.net-abuse.email, microsoft.public.outlook, and alt.spam.

For some unfathomable reason, this "neo" person chose to expand the
cross-post to comp.programming and comp.lang.c.

If you want to continue this discussion, *please* limit it to
newsgroups where it's topical.

I've redirected followups for this reply to /dev/null; if you must
respond to this, you can reset the newsgroups manually.

Steve O'Hara-Smith

If I had been programmer, I would have created programme to send
automated different replies to inbox of spammer.

This fails for the very simple reason that most spam uses faked
from and reply-to addresses, sometimes these are real addresses that are c
ompletely unconnected with the spammer (I know from failed delivery return
messages that my address has been used). I would be unhappy indeed to
receive an email flood just because some spammer has harvested my address
and used it as the from address for their postings. The real inbox of the
spammer may not even exist.

Richard

neo said:
I have been offered 6.2 million US dollars FREE (and I am so stupid
that I have ignored such offers hundreds of time. I lost billion
dollars).

If I had been programmer, I would have created programme to send
automated different replies to inbox of spammer. Somebody like
microsoft, gmail, yahoo should write such software which contain and
update spammers email ID and distribute it freely. If I receive spam
from email id in software, I should be given choice to counter strike,
flood inbox of such spammers.

if you were a programmer you would realise that these people are not so
stupid and don't give valid return addresses. All you would do it flood
your upload path.
Millions of legal spammers vs few real spammers. Such spammers will be
eliminated in few days.

If only eh?