    Put Your Voice Message Online at:
    The ShoutOut Page
    http://members.aol.com/Roseb441702/shoutout.htm

    Roseb441702, Aug 16, 2003

  2. On 16 Aug 2003 05:43:56 GMT, ospam (Roseb441702)
    wrote:

    >I've seen varied opinions on having a counter on a web page. Not personal web
    >pages but others like business pages. The only bad thing I see really about
    >having a counter on the web page is that the counter may be un-reliable - you
    >could have like a million visits to your site but something happens to the
    >counter and it goes back to 1 (or worse yet 0!)
    >
    >I'm just curious as to what some of you think about having counters on web
    >pages.

    Most members of the collective group-think will tell you that hit
    counters look "unprofessional" without giving an intelligent reason
    for this opinion. As an individual in charge of his own mind, I don't
    see anything wrong with them.

    William Starr Moake, Aug 16, 2003

  3. Roseb441702

    Talc Ta Matt Guest

    Are you talking about one of those counters that displays the count right on
    the page, or 3rd party stats?

    I'd never put the actual page count right on the page. If the site is good but
    has a low count, that kills your credibility.

    Use server side stats if your host has them.

    Use something like Extreme Tracking for free detailed stats.

    Talc Ta Matt, Aug 16, 2003