Counting active users

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Sajid, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. Sajid

    Sajid Guest

    Hi,

    I'm developing an online shopping cart. Usually the site
    administrator modifies products etc in the "Store". I want
    a mechanism for the administrator such that he should be
    able to view or at-least count the customers or visitors
    in my "Store" (only in store), users of the other sections
    should not be counted.

    Whenever a user in my store signs out or closes the
    browser (not properly sign out) or even leaves the "Store"
    the count should decrement. Any solutions.

    Note: For cart, I'm creating a session whenever a visitor
    adds an item from the store. The session is destroyed when
    visitor properly signs out.

    Regards

    Sajid
    Sajid, Dec 19, 2003

  2. > Whenever a user in my store signs out or closes the
    > browser (not properly sign out) or even leaves the "Store"
    > the count should decrement. Any solutions.

    Depending on how you're storing it, the count won't decrement immediately
    because no event is raised when the user closes their browser or moves to
    another site. You can wait for the session.timeout event (though
    Session_OnEnd is not reliable; see ) or you can have a job that cleans up
    sessions it believes are idle (which also needs to wait for session.timeout
    to be accurate and not kill someone's session when they were just reading a
    page for 10 minutes). See here for ideas: http://www.aspfaq.com/2491

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP