Counting characters in a string

Bill

I have several isbn's that are eather 10 or 12 charcters long. I need
to insert a dot . after the fifth character if it is 10 long, and
after the 6th character if it is 12 long. How do I count through the
string and find out if it is 10 or 12 charaters long, then insert the
dot . after the first 5 if it's 10, or after the first 6 if it's 12?

Thanks,

Bill