Counting Char's Within Strings

Tim Slattery

Chris Uppal said:
Arabic too, as I understand it.

My understanding is that written versions of both languages represent
vowel sounds as diacritical marks over the letters.

The oldest versions of the old testament are in Hebrew. They have no
diacritics, therefore no vowels, and no spaces between words!

--
Tim Slattery
(e-mail address removed)

Luc The Perverse

Tim Slattery said:
My understanding is that written versions of both languages represent
vowel sounds as diacritical marks over the letters.

The oldest versions of the old testament are in Hebrew. They have no
diacritics, therefore no vowels, and no spaces between words!

No spaces? Are you sure you aren't think of Latin?

I have seen Hebrew text . . and these has always been . . spaces

Lew

Luc said:
I have seen Hebrew text . . and these has always been . . spaces

Captain's . Log . . Stardate . Fifty-Three - - - Forty- . . . two point .
. . five: ...

- Lew

John W. Kennedy

Oliver said:
I don't know about Hebrew, but I'd imagine it *does* have vowel sounds,
even if you do not explicitly write them.

In modern Hebrew, a couple of now-unused consonants are employed as
vowels, and other vowels are indicated by diacritics (as in Tengwar).

Ancient Hebrew, in common with other West Semitic languages, did not
write vowels because large amounts of West Semitic grammar are handled
by ablaut (like English "sing", "sang", "sung"), so that it is possible
to get a good idea of the meaning of any sentence when it is written
with only the consonants. This was, in fact, of crucial importance in
the evolution of the alphabet. The West Semitic languages received
writing in the form of a syllabary, like Cherokee or Japanese kana, in
which every symbol represented a syllable: ba, be, bi, bo, bu, ga, ge,
gi, go, gu, da, de, di, do, du, and so forth. Because of not needing to
write the vowels, they were able to cut down the number of characters to
a mere twenty-odd, which vastly reduced the amount of memorization
needed to learn to read and write. When the Greeks picked up the West
Semitic alphabet from the Phoenicians, they found that they needed to
write the vowels for their language, so picked a few consonants that
they didn't need to use as vowels instead, created variations on a few
more letters, and then they were ready to go. The Latin and Cyrillic
alphabets, and many more, derive from the Greek.

See the really cool animations at
<URL:http://www.wam.umd.edu/~rfradkin/alphapage.html>.