counting clicks on a hyperlink...

Mannie

hi,

a person i designed a site for is trading links with a partner to try to
sell a product.

he wants to get a count of how many people click on this partner's link on
his site. He may be featuring the link on a number of pages.

can anyone suggest a not-too-complex way of doing this?

(minimal php or js would be ok, but i'm not well-skilled in either)

someone told me about creating a brief-duration popup window that calls a
GIF file from a particular page that has a counter built in.

thanks for any opinions or pointers to resources...

Mannie

rf

Mannie said:
hi,

a person i designed a site for is trading links with a partner to try to
sell a product.

he wants to get a count of how many people click on this partner's link on
his site. He may be featuring the link on a number of pages.

can anyone suggest a not-too-complex way of doing this?

(minimal php or js would be ok, but i'm not well-skilled in either)

someone told me about creating a brief-duration popup window that calls a
GIF file from a particular page that has a counter built in.

thanks for any opinions or pointers to resources...

Look at your server logs. You can tell the hit came from the partners site
as the referrer will usually point there.

Mannie

rf said:
Look at your server logs. You can tell the hit came from the partners site
as the referrer will usually point there.

Hi Richard,

yes, our partner will be able to count his incoming clicks from server logs,
but we want something on our end as well.

Mannie

John Hosking

Mannie said:
yes, our partner will be able to count his incoming clicks from server logs,
but we want something on our end as well.

Look at *your* server logs. *You* can tell the hit came *from* the
partner's site.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

John said:
Look at *your* server logs. *You* can tell the hit came *from* the
partner's site.

He wants to know how many hits at the partner site came from his link,
not the other way around as y'all have been suggesting.

If 'twas me, I would run the (his) link through a PHP script to count
the clicks going _to_ the partner site.

rf

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
He wants to know how many hits at the partner site came from his link,
not the other way around as y'all have been suggesting.

Yep. Caught me. "click on this partner's link on his site" I read as "to his
site". Had to read it three or four times for the meaning to swap from
inbound to outbound links.
If 'twas me, I would run the (his) link through a PHP script to count
the clicks going _to_ the partner site.

Providing it doesn't break the back button. If it does then the poor viewer
will blame the partners site for being broken which just might upset said
partner.

John Hosking

Beauregard said:
John Hosking wrote:

He wants to know how many hits at the partner site came from his link,
not the other way around as y'all have been suggesting.

Wow. Totally misread it. Repeatedly.
:-(

Harlan Messinger

Mannie said:
hi,

a person i designed a site for is trading links with a partner to try to
sell a product.

he wants to get a count of how many people click on this partner's link on
his site. He may be featuring the link on a number of pages.

The link should point to a page on his own site that does nothing but
redirect to the partner's page. The server logs will then show how many
times that page was requested.