Counting Lines of Code

Frankie

I have an ASP.NET Web application that has dozens of aspx pages, associated
code-behind classes, class modules, etc.

I'm wondering how I can quickly count the number of lines of code I've
written - including HTM, C#, etc (Designer-generated code can be counted).

Any suggestions?

John

Frankie said:
I have an ASP.NET Web application that has dozens of aspx pages, associated
code-behind classes, class modules, etc.

I'm wondering how I can quickly count the number of lines of code I've
written - including HTM, C#, etc (Designer-generated code can be counted).

Any suggestions?

I wasn't going to respond to this, but seeing as how you aren't getting much
response, I'll add my mediocre ideas.

Way back in 97, I had been programming for 3 years by myself, and had no
idea how I stacked up to other programmers, so I started tracking LOCs,
thinking I could find some kind of industry benchmark. Other than some
simple insight into my own work habits, it never did yield much value ...
but I'm sure you've heard that before and you either don't care or it
doesn't apply in your situation.

What I did, was set up a batch file to append all files matching a file
extension into a huge file called something like /Temp/AllCode.txt. Then
search on semi-colons (it was C++) ... I felt that semi-colons would be as
good as LOCs or better. I also recorded the number of lines all together,
and the number of comments. I ran this at the end of every day & entered
the values into an XL file.

Semi colons are probably still a good search item for C#, and as for html,
maybe you could use "</".

I hope this gives you some ideas. But in all honesty, I hope you can find a
better bench mark than LOCs.

Good luck,
John