counting

hba2pd

Hello,

I know how to count an access to an index.html file, but I would like
to know:

1. I would like to know how to count the number of times a link is
clicked. A link is to a pdf file.

2. I would like to know how to count the number of time a directory is
accessed. In that directory, I just put various pdf files, but I do not
put index.html file.

Thank you,

J.O. Aho

hba2pd said:
Hello,

I know how to count an access to an index.html file, but I would like
to know:

1. I would like to know how to count the number of times a link is
clicked. A link is to a pdf file.

Easy way is to use a server side script language, best option would be PHP as
you won't get limited to one operatingsystem.

Instead of calling directly the file you want people to download, you make a
"wrapper" script, that keeps the count (save result to a file or to a sql
server, mysql is a popular choice), and then feeds the user with the file. Not
really that advanced to make.

2. I would like to know how to count the number of time a directory is
accessed. In that directory, I just put various pdf files, but I do not
put index.html file.

This works kind of the same as the previous one, you have to include a
index.php file into the directory, the php script will list the files in the
directory, as it lists the files it will also store the number of times the
directory has been accessed to that file or database.
This too is quite easy to do.

You find useful examples in the online manual at www.php.net and there are
loads of script sites, just see to that you get a script that is written to
the version of PHP you are using, or you may have to make some modifications
yourself.