Country and county drop down lists for data-entry.

steve_barker333

Hi guys,

[Apologies if this post is a little off topic. Please let me know if
there is a more suitable place to post this question.]

I'm designing a web-site that will allow users to look up other people,
based on certain criteria. The most important criterion is geographical
location. I've managed to find a really comprehensive country list
(which is great), but I'm a little stuck as to what to do for the
next level down in the hierarchy.

At the moment, I've just got a free text box that the user can type
their area into, but as I expected, this is being misused. Some people
are typing their city, while others are entering their county. This is
a problem, because it relies on users that are trying to find them
second-guessing what was typed into the area box.

It would be great if I could get hold of a list of
counties/states/districts below each country, and maybe even a list
cities/sub-divisions below that. I know these lists exist because
dating sites, for instance, expose them. (I don't fancy sitting there
and ripping off pages of lists from dating sites; this probably isn't
legal anyway!)

Can anyone suggest a good way to provide the user with a list of
counties etc...

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

Bands-Online Steve

Thanks for your help Tom!

That ISO link was exactly what I was looking for, and at £150, it's a
fair bit cheaper than I thought it would be. Once my site has made
£150, I'll consider some reinvestment!

All the best,

Steve.

Tom said:
ISO-standard country and subdivision lists are available from the ISO
organization. You can buy the ISO-3166-1 (country codes) and ISO 3166-2
(country subdivision codes) lists either as PDF files or as Access 2000
databases.

Go here:
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/index.html

HTH,
Tom Dacon
Dacon Software Consulting

[...]

thomson

Hi Steve,
I was also looking for the same information , before
buying i just needed an infor from ur side , Could u let me knw , how
the Subdivisions are maintained for india, just an example

Regards

Thomson