Country list with iso1366 codes and local country names

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Zyron, Nov 8, 2005.

  1. Zyron

    Zyron Guest

    Hello!

    I'm developing a web page that has a goal of providing personal
    content, which means that all information should be written in their
    own language.

    I'm about to finish my Geo targeting system that will identify where
    the users are coming from based on their IP address, and for this
    project I would really like to replace the English country list with a
    list of the country in the local language. I'm been around on
    Internet, but so far I have only been able to find the list in various
    languages like French and Japanese, instead of every country listed in
    the local name.
    The list country names should also be combined with the iso1366 code.

    http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/fields/2142.html
    This link give me almost what I want, but it doesn't include
    international characters. I would like to have the list in UTF-8
    encoded format.

    The kind of list I want is more like this:
    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuer...-path=2/6868&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=28394

    Which contains the names the way they are written in the local country,
    with all the international characters, but that list is far from
    complete.

    Finding this appears to be more difficult than I expected, I would be
    grateful if anyone can help me. Thanks!
    Zyron, Nov 8, 2005

  2. Zyron

    Zyron Guest

    Hi Neil!

    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

    Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] wrote:
    > >I'm about to finish my Geo targeting system that will identify where
    > >the users are coming from based on their IP address,

    > In fact you're *not* about to finish this. You're just about to dive
    > into a deep, brown-water filled hole. The reason is that IP address
    > blocks are regularly reallocated, and there's no authoritative list of
    > IPs. In addition, providers like AOL regularly report as USA IPs,
    > though they *can* be in the UK, Europe, Australasia or elsewhere.

    Well, I will have to agree with you that it is far from complete,
    especially considering that I am in the process of improving the
    database to suit my needs.
    The database I have chosen to use is: http://hostip.info/
    which contain city information as well.

    But there are problems with international characters in the city names,
    and only USA is divided into regions.

    For each country I would also like to include which official language
    is each country has, so that Switzerland would be listed with German,
    French and Italian.

    I have a solution in sight for most problems, except a complete list of
    country names in local language.
    So instead of writing Norway, it should say Norge, and instead of
    Germany, it should say Deutschland.

    > >project I would really like to replace the English country list with a
    > >list of the country in the local language. I'm been around on
    > >Internet, but so far I have only been able to find the list in various
    > >languages like French and Japanese, instead of every country listed in
    > >the local name.

    > Can I save you some trouble here, as I've gone round this loop for my
    > videochat site. You actually want to look at the browser's reported
    > i18n language code not the IP address. In general this is set by the
    > users OS, which is (in general) set correctly by the user.

    This is of course something that the framework will take into
    consideration, and also put much faith in.
    But with my personalization project, I want to do everything that is
    possible to make the calculations as precise as possible.
    Myself I am from Norway, but use an English Windows like many other
    Norwegians. So that method would not help in my case.

    > And finally : ***what does this have to do with XML*** which is the
    > subject of this newsgroup ?

    Now that is a good question. Except that my framework will use XML,
    there is no direct connection with XML except that a search on Google
    groups
    showed that this group is knowledgeable about UTF - 8 encoding.

    > HTH
    > Cheers - Neil

    Cheers!
    Zyron, Nov 8, 2005

  3. Zyron wrote:

    > Hi Neil!

    I haven't seen Neil's response, but from what I see quoted, it looks
    quite reasonable.

    You are simply doing the wrong thing. Massive crossposting won't help
    (followups now trimmed). Claiming that you know what you are doing won't
    help either; you don't. And I don't mean just referring to the wrong
    standard in the Subject line.

    >>In fact you're *not* about to finish this. You're just about to dive
    >>into a deep, brown-water filled hole. The reason is that IP address
    >>blocks are regularly reallocated, and there's no authoritative list of
    >>IPs. In addition, providers like AOL regularly report as USA IPs,
    >>though they *can* be in the UK, Europe, Australasia or elsewhere.

    > Well, I will have to agree with you that it is far from complete,

    It is not far from nonsense.

    > The database I have chosen to use is: http://hostip.info/
    > which contain city information as well.

    Do you think you can guess my city from my IP address? You're wrong, and
    besides, you will probably get just a proxy address.

    > But there are problems with international characters in the city names,
    > and only USA is divided into regions.

    _Your_ problem is that you are trying to achieve something completely
    pointless (telling a person where she is from, as if she didn't know
    better) in a wrong way.

    If you are going to _use_ the geographic information for something, then
    you need to _ask_ it from the user. Have do accomplished that? Please
    come back when you have. Then we can discuss whether it would make sense
    to try and find out some probably useful defaults.

    > I have a solution in sight for most problems, except a complete list of
    > country names in local language.
    > So instead of writing Norway, it should say Norge, and instead of
    > Germany, it should say Deutschland.

    I could tell you where you can find the most reliable information on
    such matters, but then I would have to killfile you, since you would use
    it for something absurd.

    >>Can I save you some trouble here, as I've gone round this loop for my
    >>videochat site. You actually want to look at the browser's reported
    >>i18n language code not the IP address. In general this is set by the
    >>users OS, which is (in general) set correctly by the user.

    - -
    > Myself I am from Norway, but use an English Windows like many other
    > Norwegians. So that method would not help in my case.

    The principle of looking at the "i18n language code" (that is, the
    Accept-Language header in HTTP) is right. The practice fails, for more
    reasons than I care to list down. But this does not mean that you should
    use some absurd methods for guessing the language.

    >>And finally : ***what does this have to do with XML*** which is the
    >>subject of this newsgroup ?

    > Now that is a good question.

    The point is that you crossposted pointlessly. As so often, _none_ of
    the groups was the right one.
    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 8, 2005