    i know its not an exact science but...

    is there a way to guestimate the country from IP address ?

    thanks
    Mel, Apr 18, 2005

  2. Mel

    Evertjan. Guest

    Mel wrote on 18 apr 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > i know its not an exact science but...
    >
    > is there a way to guestimate the country from IP address ?

    USA, 50% right ?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Apr 18, 2005

  3. On 18/04/2005 18:36, Mel wrote:

    > i know its not an exact science but...
    >
    > is there a way to guestimate the country from IP address ?

    You can use a IP-to-country database. No names spring to mind at the
    moment, but they do exist.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter
    Michael Winter, Apr 18, 2005
  4. Mel

    Grant Wagner Guest

    "Mel" <> wrote in message
    >i know its not an exact science but...
    >
    > is there a way to guestimate the country from IP address ?

    Possibly, but what are you going to do with that information?

    For example, I may be viewing your Web site from a computer with an IP
    address in Germany, but it does not mean I want the language on your Web
    site to appear in German.

    --
    Grant Wagner <>
    Grant Wagner, Apr 18, 2005
  5. Mel

    Mel Guest

    i would like to disallow certain countries where my company information
    maybe restricted

    Mel, Apr 19, 2005
  6. Mel

    Grant Wagner Guest

    "Mel" <> wrote in message
    > "Grant Wagner" <> wrote in message
    >> "Mel" <> wrote in message
    >> >i know its not an exact science but...
    >> >
    >> > is there a way to guestimate the country from IP address ?

    >> Possibly, but what are you going to do with that information?
    >>
    >> For example, I may be viewing your Web site from a computer with an
    >> IP
    >> address in Germany, but it does not mean I want the language on your
    >> Web
    >> site to appear in German.

    >i would like to disallow certain countries where my company information
    > maybe restricted

    I suppose doing what you propose would be an attempt to show "due
    diligence" at preventing people in countries where your content is
    restricted from seeing that content, but it certainly won't stop someone
    in a country where your information is restricted from seeing the
    content of your Web site.

    A user could use a proxy server in the US to view your Web page from
    China. A user in the UK could save a copy of your Web site and e-mail it
    to a user in Israel.

    Once content is made available on the public Internet, it's distribution
    can not be restricted.

    --
    Grant Wagner <>
    Grant Wagner, Apr 19, 2005