country of origin of a given IP

Mel

i know its not an exact science but...

is there a way to guestimate the country from IP address ?

thanks

Evertjan.

Mel wrote on 18 apr 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:
i know its not an exact science but...

is there a way to guestimate the country from IP address ?

USA, 50% right ?

Michael Winter

i know its not an exact science but...

is there a way to guestimate the country from IP address ?

You can use a IP-to-country database. No names spring to mind at the
moment, but they do exist.

Mike

Grant Wagner

Mel said:
i know its not an exact science but...

is there a way to guestimate the country from IP address ?

Possibly, but what are you going to do with that information?

For example, I may be viewing your Web site from a computer with an IP
address in Germany, but it does not mean I want the language on your Web
site to appear in German.

Mel

i would like to disallow certain countries where my company information
maybe restricted

Grant Wagner

Mel said:
i would like to disallow certain countries where my company information
maybe restricted

I suppose doing what you propose would be an attempt to show "due
diligence" at preventing people in countries where your content is
restricted from seeing that content, but it certainly won't stop someone
in a country where your information is restricted from seeing the
content of your Web site.

A user could use a proxy server in the US to view your Web page from
China. A user in the UK could save a copy of your Web site and e-mail it
to a user in Israel.

Once content is made available on the public Internet, it's distribution
can not be restricted.