    capabilities to do this? I want to know what to ask for before I make
    the cash plunge. thanks!

    , Jan 26, 2006

    Also, this will NOT be LIVE content. Only pre-recorded. Thanks again

    , Jan 26, 2006

  3. wrote:

    > I want to find a host for my content which will include mp3 and video
    > streaming (to phones etc). Does the HOST have to have certain
    > capabilities to do this? I want to know what to ask for before I make
    > the cash plunge. thanks!

    Since you'll be running a streaming website for audio and video, you'll
    need a hosting provider that allows for rather large transfer amounts
    (bandwidth transfer, that is). If you see the word "unlimited" or
    "unmetered" in regards to the transfer limit (or "bandwidth"), either
    steer clear or read their ToS ("Terms of Service", "Service Agreement",
    "Acceptable Usage Policy", etc) to find out what the actual limit is.

    To find out your bandwidth requirements, multiply the number of users
    expected to use the service by the total file size of the content
    you're serving, and multiply the resulting number by 5. That should
    give you a reasonable amount to work with, considering each user might
    download a specific file more than once.

    Also look into how much a possible hosting provider charges for
    exceeding the set transfer limit, just in case something like that
    should happen.

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Jan 26, 2006
  4. cwdjrxyz Guest

    wrote:
    > I want to find a host for my content which will include mp3 and video
    > streaming (to phones etc). Does the HOST have to have certain
    > capabilities to do this? I want to know what to ask for before I make
    > the cash plunge. thanks!

    There are two ways to stream media. The first is actually progressive
    download which starts playing, or streaming, the media after a short
    buffering time. The bit rate for the media must not greatly exceed
    exceed what the viewing browsers's isp can deliver, or the buffer time
    can become nearly as long as the time for full download. The full
    download is cached by the browser so, that on a second play, you read
    data from the cache rather than from the web - until the temporary
    cache gets erased. For single songs or videos, or for a short playlist,
    you may use an ordinary html server if you do not expect many will
    connect at the same time and your server is not otherwise overloaded.
    Otherwise, for much traffic or for extending selections, you need to
    use a special streaming media server. Here the media is not downloaded
    in full into a cache and is not kept in memory.Hence the download rate
    must be less than the maximum bit rate the viewing browser's isp will
    support or you get dropouts on no playback at all. Streaming servers
    download in a more even manner than an html server and have controls
    that will limit connections to the server if the load becomes too great
    for good, even streaming. There are streaming media hosts. There costs
    usually is determined by the bandwidth used, and it can be rather
    expensive. Be sure you choose one that will allow you to limit the
    bandwidth, or you could get a huge bill if some nut plays your media
    over and over all day, every day. Many sites with streaming content
    keep their regular html server for web pages and then link to their
    streaming server for media content only.

    cwdjrxyz, Jan 26, 2006