CPAN & Date::Time

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by check, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. check

    check Guest

    Hi,

    Can't find anything similar to this problem in these groups, so I'm
    hoping someone can help me...

    I'm trying to install the Date::Time module and it dependencies via
    CPAN.

    When I enter:

    # perl -MCPAN -e 'install Date::Time'

    I get the message:

    The module Date::Time isn't available on CPAN.

    So, in a CPAN shell I then enter:

    i /Date::Time/

    ....and the module is listed correctly. What am I doing wrong?

    TIA,

    check.

    check, Jan 30, 2004

  2. On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:30:49 -0800, check wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Can't find anything similar to this problem in these groups, so I'm
    > hoping someone can help me...
    >
    > I'm trying to install the Date::Time module and it dependencies via
    > CPAN.
    >
    > When I enter:
    >
    > # perl -MCPAN -e 'install Date::Time'
    >
    > I get the message:
    >
    > The module Date::Time isn't available on CPAN.
    >
    > So, in a CPAN shell I then enter:
    >
    > i /Date::Time/
    >
    > ...and the module is listed correctly. What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > check.

    DateTime, instead of Date::Time ... I think ;-)

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is
    time to reform. -- Mark Twain

    James Willmore, Jan 30, 2004

  3. check

    Ben Morrow Guest

    (check) wrote:
    > I'm trying to install the Date::Time module and it dependencies via
    > CPAN.
    >
    > When I enter:
    >
    > # perl -MCPAN -e 'install Date::Time'
    >
    > I get the message:
    >
    > The module Date::Time isn't available on CPAN.
    >
    > So, in a CPAN shell I then enter:
    >
    > i /Date::Time/
    >
    > ...and the module is listed correctly. What am I doing wrong?

    cpan> i /Date::Time/
    Module id = Date::Time
    DESCRIPTION Lightweight normalised datetime data type
    CPAN_USERID TOBIX (Tobias Brox <>)
    CPAN_VERSION undef
    CPAN_FILE Contact Author Tobias Brox <>
    DSLI_STATUS idpO (idea,developer,perl,object-oriented)
    ^^^^
    INST_FILE (not installed)

    So, as it said, the module is not available via CPAN.

    Ben

    47 nodes and 63 links. [ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/arpaprob.txt] *

    Ben Morrow, Jan 30, 2004
  4. Ben Morrow wrote:
    > So, as it said, the module is not available via CPAN.

    But it can of course be downloaded from CPAN...

    http://search.cpan.org/~tobix/OO-DateTime-0.01/

    This is the top of the Time.pm file:

    package Date::Time::UnixTime;

    # Some methods dealing with Unix timestamps are to be
    # implemented here.

    1;

    package Date::Time;

    Maybe that explains the failure to download it using CPAN.pm?

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jan 30, 2004
  5. Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
    > Ben Morrow wrote:
    >> So, as it said, the module is not available via CPAN.

    > But it can of course be downloaded from CPAN...
    >
    > http://search.cpan.org/~tobix/OO-DateTime-0.01/

    On the other hand, the module does not do anything. When it was
    uploaded at 2 March 2000, it was said to be "at the idea/design stage"...

    So OP should better find some other module, anyway. :)

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jan 30, 2004
  6. check

    check Guest

    James Willmore <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:30:49 -0800, check wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Can't find anything similar to this problem in these groups, so I'm
    > > hoping someone can help me...
    > >
    > > I'm trying to install the Date::Time module and it dependencies via
    > > CPAN.
    > >
    > > When I enter:
    > >
    > > # perl -MCPAN -e 'install Date::Time'
    > >
    > > I get the message:
    > >
    > > The module Date::Time isn't available on CPAN.
    > >
    > > So, in a CPAN shell I then enter:
    > >
    > > i /Date::Time/
    > >
    > > ...and the module is listed correctly. What am I doing wrong?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > >
    > > check.

    > DateTime, instead of Date::Time ... I think ;-)

    Thanks, you are correct. Got myself in a bit of a muddle about this -
    Your help is much appreciated.

    check.

    check, Feb 2, 2004