CPAN ("first time"): how escape "Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:" loop?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Sherm Pendley, Jun 24, 2005.

  1. Re: CPAN ("first time"): how escape "Enter arithmetic or Perl

    (David Combs) writes:

    > Now it's (just after?) "testing",
    >
    > and it keeps asking me:
    >
    > Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:

    Just to pick nits, that's part of the self-test suite for Term::ReadLine,
    which is a module that's specified in Bundle::CPAN.

    > QUESTION: how to tell it that I'm happy enough -- please,
    > no more of those
    >
    > Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:

    Just press enter to accept the default Perl expression "exit".

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jun 24, 2005

  2. Sherm Pendley

    David Combs Guest

    Finally, at LONG last, I'm starting-up CPAN module (on my machine).

    Asked a bunch of question; ok, answered them.

    Now it's (just after?) "testing",

    and it keeps asking me:

    Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:

    Now, it does work: 3 + 5 does give 8.

    (Good enough for me!)

    QUESTION: how to tell it that I'm happy enough -- please,
    no more of those

    Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:

    questions; proceed to finishing-up.

    Thanks!

    David

    David Combs, Jun 24, 2005

  3. Re: CPAN ("first time"): how escape "Enter arithmetic or Perl

    (David Combs) writes:

    > In article <>,
    > Sherm Pendley <> wrote:
    >> (David Combs) writes:
    >>
    >>> QUESTION: how to tell it that I'm happy enough -- please,
    >>> no more of those
    >>>
    >>> Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:

    >>Just press enter to accept the default Perl expression "exit".

    > OK, I tried that, but no luck.
    >
    > Probably has to do with my doing the run out of
    > an emacs *shell*-window.
    >
    > With luck, you too will be an emacs-user, and will
    > be able to suggest a way out!

    Xemacs actually - but close enough. Xemacs' shell doesn't show me the default
    "exit" text either, nor does simply hitting "enter" do any good.

    Typing out "exit", or sending an EOF with C-d both work for me.

    > PS: any idea what module is producing that
    >
    >>> Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:

    > prompt

    I'm pretty sure it's Term::ReadLine::perl. At least, running "test
    Term::ReadLine::perl" runs that test.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jun 24, 2005
  4. Sherm Pendley

    David Combs Guest

    Sherm Pendley <> wrote:
    > (David Combs) writes:
    >
    >> Now it's (just after?) "testing",
    >>
    >> and it keeps asking me:
    >>
    >> Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:

    >Just to pick nits, that's part of the self-test suite for Term::ReadLine,
    >which is a module that's specified in Bundle::CPAN.
    >
    >> QUESTION: how to tell it that I'm happy enough -- please,
    >> no more of those
    >>
    >> Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:

    >Just press enter to accept the default Perl expression "exit".
    >
    >sherm--

    Thanks for that super-fast response!

    OK, I tried that, but no luck.

    Probably has to do with my doing the run out of
    an emacs *shell*-window.

    With luck, you too will be an emacs-user, and will
    be able to suggest a way out!

    Thanks,

    David

    PS: any idea what module is producing that

    >> Enter arithmetic or Perl expression:

    prompt, so I can try to figure out maybe what
    I can kludge-up to feed it.

    (I'm about to set up a huge egrep to look for
    that string -- I haven't found it via a quick
    search of the cpan module (I think).)

    David Combs, Jun 24, 2005