CPAN install failure - help?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by ChiTownBob, Sep 28, 2005.

  1. ChiTownBob

    ChiTownBob Guest

    I'm pretty much a newbie; used Perl very casually over the years, but
    never got too deep. Right now I'm trying to convert my company's docs
    into the Wikipedia format (MediaWiki), and I found a package
    http://search.cpan.org/~diberri/HTML-WikiConverter-0.30/WikiConverter.pm
    that promises to do that for HTML.

    (btw, if someone has a better way to do this, regardless of whether it's
    perl or not, *please* speak up).

    Anyway, CPAN fails to install it, and I am clueless as to why. Here's
    the relevant part of the output:

    HTML-WikiConverter-0.30/README Removing previously used
    \.cpan\build\HTML-WikiConverter-0.30 CPAN.pm: Going to build
    D/DI/DIBERRI/HTML-WikiConverter-0.30.tar.gz

    Checking if your kit is complete...

    Looks good

    Writing Makefile for HTML::WikiConverter
    -- OK
    Running make test

    'test' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
    program or batch file.

    test -- NOT OK

    Running make install

    make test had returned bad status, won't install without force
    =============================

    I've tried going back in and saying "force install HTML::WikiConverter"
    but that just fails in the same way. This is all on Windows XP. Help?
    Bob

    ChiTownBob, Sep 28, 2005

  2. ChiTownBob <> wrote in

    > Anyway, CPAN fails to install it, and I am clueless as to why. Here's
    > the relevant part of the output:

    > HTML-WikiConverter-0.30/README Removing previously used
    > \.cpan\build\HTML-WikiConverter-0.30 CPAN.pm: Going to build
    > D/DI/DIBERRI/HTML-WikiConverter-0.30.tar.gz
    >
    > Checking if your kit is complete...
    >
    > Looks good
    >
    > Writing Makefile for HTML::WikiConverter
    > -- OK
    > Running make test
    >
    > 'test' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
    > program or batch file.
    >
    > test -- NOT OK
    >
    > Running make install
    >
    > make test had returned bad status, won't install without force
    > =============================
    >
    > I've tried going back in and saying "force install
    > HTML::WikiConverter" but that just fails in the same way. This is all
    > on Windows XP. Help? Bob

    I am not sure which Perl distribution you are using. Unless you are
    using cygwin, you very likely do not have the proper tools to compile
    Perl modules from scratch.

    Now, the good news is that the module does not seem to contain any XS
    code, so you don't really need a C compiler.

    Just extraction the files from the archive, and manually copying the
    files to the appropriate locations should work. That is:

    c:\Perl\site\lib\HTML\WikiConverter.pm
    c:\Perl\site\lib\HTML\WikiConverter\DocuWiki.pm
    .... etc
    bin\html2wiki => c:\Perl\bin\html2wiki.pl

    assuming you have vanilla AS Perl installation in C:\Perl

    Or, you can put the files in a separate location, and then put a use lib
    in your scripts.

    See perldoc -q lib

    Sinan

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Sep 28, 2005

  3. ChiTownBob

    ChiTownBob Guest

    A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    > ChiTownBob <> wrote in
    >

    >>Anyway, CPAN fails to install it, and I am clueless as to why. Here's
    >>the relevant part of the output:
    >>
    >>========================================

    >>HTML-WikiConverter-0.30/README Removing previously used
    >>\.cpan\build\HTML-WikiConverter-0.30 CPAN.pm: Going to build
    >>D/DI/DIBERRI/HTML-WikiConverter-0.30.tar.gz
    >>
    >>Checking if your kit is complete...
    >>
    >>Looks good
    >>
    >>Writing Makefile for HTML::WikiConverter
    >>-- OK
    >>Running make test
    >>
    >>'test' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
    >>program or batch file.
    >>
    >>test -- NOT OK
    >>
    >>Running make install
    >>
    >>make test had returned bad status, won't install without force
    >>=============================
    >>
    >>I've tried going back in and saying "force install
    >>HTML::WikiConverter" but that just fails in the same way. This is all
    >>on Windows XP. Help? Bob

    > I am not sure which Perl distribution you are using. Unless you are
    > using cygwin, you very likely do not have the proper tools to compile
    > Perl modules from scratch.
    >
    > Now, the good news is that the module does not seem to contain any XS
    > code, so you don't really need a C compiler.
    >
    > Just extraction the files from the archive, and manually copying the
    > files to the appropriate locations should work. That is:
    >
    > c:\Perl\site\lib\HTML\WikiConverter.pm
    > c:\Perl\site\lib\HTML\WikiConverter\DocuWiki.pm
    > ... etc
    > bin\html2wiki => c:\Perl\bin\html2wiki.pl
    >
    > assuming you have vanilla AS Perl installation in C:\Perl
    >
    > Or, you can put the files in a separate location, and then put a use lib
    > in your scripts.
    >
    > See perldoc -q lib
    >
    > Sinan

    thanks to Sinan and Abigail for the extremely quick response. Re
    Abigail's question, no, I didn't have make.ext in my DOS environment,
    but I do have Cygwin installed. Running it in Cygwin got much, much
    farther, but it still failed in many horrible ways, deep inside the
    dependencies. (I tried capturing the output to a file, but it just hung
    and the errors didn't make it to the output file.)

    I did do what Sinan suggested, and html2wiki is working now! (as I
    said, I'm pretty much a Perl neophyte.) So thanks again.

    Interestingly enough, I've also got Fedora Core 3 on another machine,
    and on that one, once I su'ed to root, the install worked the first time.

    Bob

    ChiTownBob, Sep 28, 2005