CPAN install from a local directory

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Matt C, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. Matt C

    Matt C Guest

    Hi All,

    is it possible to have the CPAN util install packages from a local
    dir, rather than a mirror?

    I need to install an application on a load of client machines that
    needs quite a few perl modules to do its thing. I'd like to download
    all the perl modules as tar.gz files and then put them on an install
    cd with the other parts of the app. I will script up a basic
    installer that will, amoungst other things, install the perl mods onto
    the target machine.

    Can I get CPAN to do this for me? Can I call it, tell it to install
    and point it at the dir full of tar and gzipped perl mods?

    Is there a better way to do this?

    cheers in advance

    matt

    Matt C, Jul 26, 2004

  2. Matt C

    Anno Siegel Guest

    Matt C <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > is it possible to have the CPAN util install packages from a local
    > dir, rather than a mirror?
    >
    > I need to install an application on a load of client machines that
    > needs quite a few perl modules to do its thing. I'd like to download
    > all the perl modules as tar.gz files and then put them on an install
    > cd with the other parts of the app. I will script up a basic
    > installer that will, amoungst other things, install the perl mods onto
    > the target machine.

    You can use a local mirror. Place a "file" URL that points to the
    mirror in the urllist of your CPAN configuration.

    Also consider building a bundle of the modules you want to install.

    > Can I get CPAN to do this for me? Can I call it, tell it to install
    > and point it at the dir full of tar and gzipped perl mods?

    Yes, as described in the CPAN doc.

    Anno

    Anno Siegel, Jul 27, 2004

  3. (Matt C) writes:

    > is it possible to have the CPAN util install packages from a local
    > dir, rather than a mirror?

    You can put local directories to the list of repositories that CPAN.pm is
    to use. For details RTFM.

    > I need to install an application on a load of client machines that
    > needs quite a few perl modules to do its thing. I'd like to download
    > all the perl modules as tar.gz files and then put them on an install
    > cd with the other parts of the app. I will script up a basic
    > installer that will, amoungst other things, install the perl mods onto
    > the target machine.
    >
    > Can I get CPAN to do this for me? Can I call it, tell it to install
    > and point it at the dir full of tar and gzipped perl mods?

    You can create a "bundle" module that is nothing but a list of
    dependancies and install that.

    --
    \\ ( )

    Brian McCauley, Jul 28, 2004