cpan problems with 02packages.details.txt.gz and 03modlist.data.gz

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by David Christensen, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Hello, world!

    I am having trouble with cpan on Cygwin:

    dpchrist@w2k30g:~/.cpan/sources$ cpan

    cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.70_54)
    ReadLine support enabled

    cpan> install Class::Base
    Going to read /home/dpchrist/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
    Going to read
    /home/dpchrist/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
    Warning: Your
    /home/dpchrist/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz does not
    contain a Line-Count header.
    Please check the validity of the index file by comparing it to more than
    one CPAN mirror. I'll continue but problems seem likely to happen.
    Warning: Your
    /home/dpchrist/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz does not
    contain a Last-Updated header.
    Please check the validity of the index file by comparing it to more than
    one CPAN mirror. I'll continue but problems seem likely to happen.
    Going to read /home/dpchrist/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz
    Can't locate object method "data" via package "CPAN::Modulelist"
    (perhaps you forgot to load "CPAN::Modulelist"?) at (eval 24) line 1.

    CPAN::Index::rd_modlist('CPAN::Index','/home/dpchrist/.cpan/sources/modu
    les/03modlist.data.gz') called at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN.pm line 3113
    CPAN::Index::reload('CPAN::Index') called at
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN.pm line 674

    CPAN::exists('CPAN=HASH(0x1049bbac)','CPAN::Module','Class::Base')
    called at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN.pm line 1841
    CPAN::Shell::expandany('CPAN::Shell','Class::Base') called at
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN.pm line 2077
    CPAN::Shell::rematein('CPAN::Shell','install','Class::Base')
    called at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN.pm line 2164
    CPAN::Shell::install('CPAN::Shell','Class::Base') called at
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN.pm line 200
    eval {...} called at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN.pm line 200
    CPAN::shell() called at /usr/bin/cpan line 193

    cpan>

    As best I can tell, cpan thinks the following file is corrupt:

    ~/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz

    and then has trouble processing the following file:

    ~/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz'

    I don't know how to "check the validity of the index file by comparing
    it to more than one CPAN mirror".

    I tried blowing the two files away, restarting cpan, and installing a
    module, but cpan simply downloaded the files again and proceeded with
    the same errors.

    I STFW and came up with a message by a lady who had a same/similar
    problem. She said that it was caused by a rogue "~" file or folder in
    her directory tree. Removing it fixed the problem. I searched my
    system, found "C:\~", and removed it, but no luck.

    Any suggestions?

    TIA,

    David

    David Christensen, Jul 25, 2003

  2. David Christensen

    Randy Kobes Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:11:12 GMT,
    David Christensen <> wrote:
    >Hello, world!
    >
    >I am having trouble with cpan on Cygwin:
    >
    >dpchrist@w2k30g:~/.cpan/sources$ cpan
    >cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.70_54)
    >ReadLine support enabled
    >cpan> install Class::Base
    >Going to read /home/dpchrist/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
    >Going to read
    >/home/dpchrist/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
    >Warning: Your
    >/home/dpchrist/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz does not
    >contain a Line-Count header.
    >Please check the validity of the index file by comparing it to more than
    >one CPAN mirror. I'll continue but problems seem likely to happen.

    [ .. ]
    >I STFW and came up with a message by a lady who had a same/similar
    >problem. She said that it was caused by a rogue "~" file or folder in
    >her directory tree. Removing it fixed the problem. I searched my
    >system, found "C:\~", and removed it, but no luck.

    Perhaps Cygwin perl gets confused with the '~', sometimes
    thinking it a real directory (eg, presence of a C:\~) and other
    times expanding it to a home directory (/home/dpchrist/). It
    might be worth trying to again remove C:\~, and then start
    the CPAN.pm shell but first reconfigure it:
    cpan> o conf init
    and try choosing the build and source directories with a root
    directory of something like C:/.cpan/.

    --
    best regards,
    randy kobes

    Randy Kobes, Jul 25, 2003

  3. "Randy Kobes" wrote:
    > Perhaps Cygwin perl gets confused with the '~', sometimes thinking it
    > a real directory (eg, presence of a C:\~) and other times expanding it
    > to a home directory (/home/dpchrist/). It might be worth trying to
    > again remove C:\~, and then start the CPAN.pm shell but first
    > reconfigure it:
    > cpan> o conf init
    > and try choosing the build and source directories with a root
    > directory of something like C:/.cpan/.

    Thanks for the reply! :)

    Here's what I did:

    1. Blow away C:\~

    2. Run cpan:

    cpan> o conf init
    CPAN build and cache directory? [/home/dpchrist/.cpan] /cygdrive
    /c/.cpan/
    File to save your history? [/home/dpchrist/.cpan/histfile] /cygd
    rive/c/.cpan/histfile

    It worked! :)

    Thank you,

    David