cpan problems with 02packages.details.txt.gz and 03modlist.data.gz

David Christensen

Hello, world!

I am having trouble with cpan on Cygwin:

dpchrist@w2k30g:~/.cpan/sources$ cpan

cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.70_54)
ReadLine support enabled

cpan> install Class::Base
Going to read /home/dpchrist/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
Going to read
/home/dpchrist/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
Warning: Your
/home/dpchrist/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz does not
contain a Line-Count header.
Please check the validity of the index file by comparing it to more than
one CPAN mirror. I'll continue but problems seem likely to happen.
Warning: Your
/home/dpchrist/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz does not
contain a Last-Updated header.
Please check the validity of the index file by comparing it to more than
one CPAN mirror. I'll continue but problems seem likely to happen.
Going to read /home/dpchrist/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz
Can't locate object method "data" via package "CPAN::Modulelist"
(perhaps you forgot to load "CPAN::Modulelist"?) at (eval 24) line 1.

CPAN::Index::rd_modlist('CPAN::Index','/home/dpchrist/.cpan/sources/modu
les/03modlist.data.gz') called at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN.pm line 3113
CPAN::Index::reload('CPAN::Index') called at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN.pm line 674

CPAN::exists('CPAN=HASH(0x1049bbac)','CPAN::Module','Class::Base')
called at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN.pm line 1841
CPAN::Shell::expandany('CPAN::Shell','Class::Base') called at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN.pm line 2077
CPAN::Shell::rematein('CPAN::Shell','install','Class::Base')
called at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN.pm line 2164
CPAN::Shell::install('CPAN::Shell','Class::Base') called at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN.pm line 200
eval {...} called at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN.pm line 200
CPAN::shell() called at /usr/bin/cpan line 193

cpan>

As best I can tell, cpan thinks the following file is corrupt:

~/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz

and then has trouble processing the following file:

~/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz'

I don't know how to "check the validity of the index file by comparing
it to more than one CPAN mirror".

I tried blowing the two files away, restarting cpan, and installing a
module, but cpan simply downloaded the files again and proceeded with
the same errors.

I STFW and came up with a message by a lady who had a same/similar
problem. She said that it was caused by a rogue "~" file or folder in
her directory tree. Removing it fixed the problem. I searched my
system, found "C:\~", and removed it, but no luck.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

David

Randy Kobes

[...]

Perhaps Cygwin perl gets confused with the '~', sometimes
thinking it a real directory (eg, presence of a C:\~) and other
times expanding it to a home directory (/home/dpchrist/). It
might be worth trying to again remove C:\~, and then start
the CPAN.pm shell but first reconfigure it:
cpan> o conf init
and try choosing the build and source directories with a root
directory of something like C:/.cpan/.

David Christensen

Randy Kobes said:
Perhaps Cygwin perl gets confused with the '~', sometimes thinking it
a real directory (eg, presence of a C:\~) and other times expanding it
to a home directory (/home/dpchrist/). It might be worth trying to
again remove C:\~, and then start the CPAN.pm shell but first
reconfigure it:
cpan> o conf init
and try choosing the build and source directories with a root
directory of something like C:/.cpan/.

Thanks for the reply! :)

Here's what I did:

1. Blow away C:\~

2. Run cpan:

cpan> o conf init
CPAN build and cache directory? [/home/dpchrist/.cpan] /cygdrive
/c/.cpan/
File to save your history? [/home/dpchrist/.cpan/histfile] /cygd
rive/c/.cpan/histfile

It worked! :)

Thank you,

David