CPAN shell as plain user

Matija Papec

I want to install some modules and everything goes well until "make install"
as there are some test errors. Should I "force install Net::SFTP"?

o conf makepl_arg "LIB=~/myperl/lib INSTALLMAN1DIR=~/myperl/man/man1
INSTALLMAN3DIR=~/myperl/man/man3"

install Net::SFTP

================
Test returned status 2 (wstat 512, 0x200)
Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail Failed List of Failed
t/01-load.t 2 512 1 2 200.00% 1
t/06-circular.t 2 512 ?? ?? % ??
Failed 2/2 test scripts, 0.00% okay. 1/1 subtests failed, 0.00% okay.
make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 2
/usr/bin/make test -- NOT OK
Running make install
make test had returned bad status, won't install without force

cpan>

Richard Gration

I want to install some modules and everything goes well until "make install"
as there are some test errors. Should I "force install Net::SFTP"?

o conf makepl_arg "LIB=~/myperl/lib INSTALLMAN1DIR=~/myperl/man/man1
INSTALLMAN3DIR=~/myperl/man/man3"

install Net::SFTP

================
Test returned status 2 (wstat 512, 0x200)
Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail Failed List of Failed
t/01-load.t 2 512 1 2 200.00% 1
t/06-circular.t 2 512 ?? ?? % ??
Failed 2/2 test scripts, 0.00% okay. 1/1 subtests failed, 0.00% okay.
make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 2
/usr/bin/make test -- NOT OK
Running make install
make test had returned bad status, won't install without force

cpan>

My guess is that the test suite is trying to listen on a privileged port
(< 1024) which can only be opened by root, which you are not (a 2nd
guess, based on your makepl_arg setting) so the test fails. If these are
correct guesses, and nothing else is wrong, then you will be OK with a
force install. It's probably worth a try. You could also edit the tests to
try and make it use a non-privileged port.

Rich

Matija Papec

Richard Gration said:
My guess is that the test suite is trying to listen on a privileged port
(< 1024) which can only be opened by root, which you are not (a 2nd
guess, based on your makepl_arg setting) so the test fails. If these are
correct guesses, and nothing else is wrong, then you will be OK with a
force install. It's probably worth a try. You could also edit the tests to
try and make it use a non-privileged port.

Tnx, I found later that tests didn't finish because they were unable to find
some of the modules (through @INC). I'm sure that makepl_arg is fine and did
"o commit" with them. Is it possible that tests are written only to function
properly with root user in mind? Anyway, I did forcing and everything is in
place now and working. :)

Richard Gration

Is it possible that tests are written only to function
properly with root user in mind?

It's possible, but very unlikely I think. I have seen modules fail tests
for reasons other than that the module isn't working though, for example
Apache::Test.

Anyway, I did forcing and everything is in
place now and working. :)

Always worth a try :)