CPAN shell as plain user

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Matija Papec, Nov 17, 2004.

  1. Matija Papec

    Matija Papec Guest

    I want to install some modules and everything goes well until "make install"
    as there are some test errors. Should I "force install Net::SFTP"?

    o conf makepl_arg "LIB=~/myperl/lib INSTALLMAN1DIR=~/myperl/man/man1
    INSTALLMAN3DIR=~/myperl/man/man3"

    install Net::SFTP

    ================
    Test returned status 2 (wstat 512, 0x200)
    Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail Failed List of Failed
    t/01-load.t 2 512 1 2 200.00% 1
    t/06-circular.t 2 512 ?? ?? % ??
    Failed 2/2 test scripts, 0.00% okay. 1/1 subtests failed, 0.00% okay.
    make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 2
    /usr/bin/make test -- NOT OK
    Running make install
    make test had returned bad status, won't install without force

    cpan>

    --
    Matija
    Matija Papec, Nov 17, 2004

  2. On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 18:29:15 +0100, Matija Papec wrote:

    > I want to install some modules and everything goes well until "make install"
    > as there are some test errors. Should I "force install Net::SFTP"?
    >

    > o conf makepl_arg "LIB=~/myperl/lib INSTALLMAN1DIR=~/myperl/man/man1
    > INSTALLMAN3DIR=~/myperl/man/man3"
    >
    > install Net::SFTP
    >
    > ================
    > Test returned status 2 (wstat 512, 0x200)
    > Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail Failed List of Failed
    > t/01-load.t 2 512 1 2 200.00% 1
    > t/06-circular.t 2 512 ?? ?? % ??
    > Failed 2/2 test scripts, 0.00% okay. 1/1 subtests failed, 0.00% okay.
    > make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 2
    > /usr/bin/make test -- NOT OK
    > Running make install
    > make test had returned bad status, won't install without force
    >
    > cpan>

    My guess is that the test suite is trying to listen on a privileged port
    (< 1024) which can only be opened by root, which you are not (a 2nd
    guess, based on your makepl_arg setting) so the test fails. If these are
    correct guesses, and nothing else is wrong, then you will be OK with a
    force install. It's probably worth a try. You could also edit the tests to
    try and make it use a non-privileged port.

    Rich
    Richard Gration, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Matija Papec

    Matija Papec Guest

    Richard Gration <> wrote:
    >> make test had returned bad status, won't install without force
    >>
    >> cpan>

    >My guess is that the test suite is trying to listen on a privileged port
    >(< 1024) which can only be opened by root, which you are not (a 2nd
    >guess, based on your makepl_arg setting) so the test fails. If these are
    >correct guesses, and nothing else is wrong, then you will be OK with a
    >force install. It's probably worth a try. You could also edit the tests to
    >try and make it use a non-privileged port.

    Tnx, I found later that tests didn't finish because they were unable to find
    some of the modules (through @INC). I'm sure that makepl_arg is fine and did
    "o commit" with them. Is it possible that tests are written only to function
    properly with root user in mind? Anyway, I did forcing and everything is in
    place now and working. :)

    --
    Matija
    Matija Papec, Nov 17, 2004
  4. On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:45:20 +0100, Matija Papec wrote:
    > Is it possible that tests are written only to function
    > properly with root user in mind?

    It's possible, but very unlikely I think. I have seen modules fail tests
    for reasons other than that the module isn't working though, for example
    Apache::Test.

    Anyway, I did forcing and everything is in
    > place now and working. :)

    Always worth a try :)
    Richard Gration, Nov 18, 2004