cpan update: 106 installed modules have no parseable version number

Steve Kelem

When I run CPAN.pm and type the option "r" (reinstall recommendations),
I get the message

106 installed modules have no parseable version number

Why so many modules without version numbers?
CPAN.pm has made module maintenance SOOOOOO easy, yet some modules can't
be easily updated without parsable version numbers.

Steve Kelem

Anno Siegel

Steve Kelem said:
When I run CPAN.pm and type the option "r" (reinstall recommendations),
I get the message

106 installed modules have no parseable version number

Why so many modules without version numbers?

Ask the authors. There is no enforcement to have a version number,
so some modules don't have one.
CPAN.pm has made module maintenance SOOOOOO easy, yet some modules can't
be easily updated without parsable version numbers.

It's a question of quality. Before you install a module, check if
it has a version number. If it doesn't, think twice.

Anno

John M. Gamble

Ask the authors. There is no enforcement to have a version number,
so some modules don't have one.

Ultimate responsibility does rest with the authors, but...

How difficult would it be for CPAN to reject versionless modules?
I don't think it would set off too many flames if this were enforced.

(On a much less important, but it still bugs me, note, anyone who
leaves in the "Perl extension for blah blah blah" synopsis should
be flogged. Err, i mean, should have their module rejected. Yeah,
that's what i meant.)