    CPAN.pm has made module maintenance SOOOOOO easy, yet some modules can't
    be easily updated without parsable version numbers.

    Steve Kelem
    Steve Kelem, Aug 17, 2004

  2. Steve Kelem

    Anno Siegel Guest

    Steve Kelem <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > When I run CPAN.pm and type the option "r" (reinstall recommendations),
    > I get the message
    >
    > 106 installed modules have no parseable version number
    >
    > Why so many modules without version numbers?

    Ask the authors. There is no enforcement to have a version number,
    so some modules don't have one.

    > CPAN.pm has made module maintenance SOOOOOO easy, yet some modules can't
    > be easily updated without parsable version numbers.

    It's a question of quality. Before you install a module, check if
    it has a version number. If it doesn't, think twice.

    Anno
    Anno Siegel, Aug 17, 2004

  3. In article <cfsmch$9r1$-Berlin.DE>,
    Anno Siegel <-berlin.de> wrote:
    >Steve Kelem <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    >> When I run CPAN.pm and type the option "r" (reinstall recommendations),
    >> I get the message
    >>
    >> 106 installed modules have no parseable version number
    >>
    >> Why so many modules without version numbers?

    >Ask the authors. There is no enforcement to have a version number,
    >so some modules don't have one.

    Ultimate responsibility does rest with the authors, but...

    How difficult would it be for CPAN to reject versionless modules?
    I don't think it would set off too many flames if this were enforced.

    (On a much less important, but it still bugs me, note, anyone who
    leaves in the "Perl extension for blah blah blah" synopsis should
    be flogged. Err, i mean, should have their module rejected. Yeah,
    that's what i meant.)

    --
    -john

    February 28 1997: Last day libraries could order catalogue cards
    from the Library of Congress.
    John M. Gamble, Aug 18, 2004