cpan

greymausg

I start CPAN, and enter, say, "i /^Text/". How do
I stop the deluge of answers, as in 'more'?

Rainer Weikusat

greymausg said:
I start CPAN, and enter, say, "i /^Text/". How do
I stop the deluge of answers, as in 'more'?

The CPAN shell supports | and > with their 'usual' (shell) meaning you
can do a

i /^Text/ | less

in order to pipe the result to the less program (according to the
documentation, there has to be a space in front of the |).

NB: In contrast to the documentation, at least the CPAN shell I used for
testing doesn't ignore SIGPIPE which meant that it suddenly exited when
terminating the pager before it read of the output. An explicit

! $SIG{PIPE} = 'IGNORE'

could be used to work around that.

Rainer Weikusat

greymausg said:
I start CPAN, and enter, say, "i /^Text/". How do
I stop the deluge of answers, as in 'more'?

The CPAN shell supports | and > with their 'usual' (shell) meaning you
can do a

i /^Text/ | less

in order to pipe the result to the less program (according to the
documentation, there has to be a space in front of the |).

NB: In contrast to the documentation, at least the CPAN shell I used for
testing didn't ignore SIGPIPE which meant that it suddenly exited when
terminating the pager before it read all of the output. An explicit

! $SIG{PIPE} = 'IGNORE'

could be used to work around that.

greymausg

The CPAN shell supports | and > with their 'usual' (shell) meaning you
can do a

i /^Text/ | less

in order to pipe the result to the less program (according to the
documentation, there has to be a space in front of the |).

NB: In contrast to the documentation, at least the CPAN shell I used for
testing didn't ignore SIGPIPE which meant that it suddenly exited when
terminating the pager before it read all of the output. An explicit

! $SIG{PIPE} = 'IGNORE'

could be used to work around that.

Thanks.