    I stop the deluge of answers, as in 'more'?

    --
    maus

    greymausg, Mar 8, 2014

  2. greymausg <> writes:
    > I start CPAN, and enter, say, "i /^Text/". How do
    > I stop the deluge of answers, as in 'more'?

    The CPAN shell supports | and > with their 'usual' (shell) meaning you
    can do a

    i /^Text/ | less

    in order to pipe the result to the less program (according to the
    documentation, there has to be a space in front of the |).

    NB: In contrast to the documentation, at least the CPAN shell I used for
    testing doesn't ignore SIGPIPE which meant that it suddenly exited when
    terminating the pager before it read of the output. An explicit

    ! $SIG{PIPE} = 'IGNORE'

    could be used to work around that.

    Rainer Weikusat, Mar 8, 2014

  3. greymausg <> writes:
    > I start CPAN, and enter, say, "i /^Text/". How do
    > I stop the deluge of answers, as in 'more'?

    The CPAN shell supports | and > with their 'usual' (shell) meaning you
    can do a

    i /^Text/ | less

    in order to pipe the result to the less program (according to the
    documentation, there has to be a space in front of the |).

    NB: In contrast to the documentation, at least the CPAN shell I used for
    testing didn't ignore SIGPIPE which meant that it suddenly exited when
    terminating the pager before it read all of the output. An explicit

    Rainer Weikusat, Mar 8, 2014
  4. greymausg

    greymausg Guest

    On 2014-03-08, Rainer Weikusat <> wrote:
    > greymausg <> writes:
    >> I start CPAN, and enter, say, "i /^Text/". How do
    >> I stop the deluge of answers, as in 'more'?

    > The CPAN shell supports | and > with their 'usual' (shell) meaning you
    > can do a
    >
    > i /^Text/ | less
    >
    > in order to pipe the result to the less program (according to the
    > documentation, there has to be a space in front of the |).
    >
    > NB: In contrast to the documentation, at least the CPAN shell I used for
    > testing didn't ignore SIGPIPE which meant that it suddenly exited when
    > terminating the pager before it read all of the output. An explicit
    >
    > ! $SIG{PIPE} = 'IGNORE'
    >
    > could be used to work around that.

    Thanks.

    --