cperl-mode and emacs-21.4 brocken?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Mike Dowling, Feb 18, 2005.

  1. Mike Dowling

    Mike Dowling Guest

    I had no problems with cperl-mode with emacs-21.3.
    With emacs-21.4, it still works, but only if started manually (M-x
    cperl-mode). Starting automaticall with

    (autoload 'perl-mode "cperl-mode" "alternate mode for editing Perl
    programs" t)

    in the .emacs file fails. Instead, I get the message:

    File mode specification error: (error "Autoloading failed to define
    function perl-mode")

    Any clues, anybody?

    Cheers,
    M. Dowling

    --
    Sorry, after years of fighting spam, I've given in. I changed
    my email address, and don't want to reveal it to spammers. I
    Mike Dowling, Feb 18, 2005

    Mike Dowling
    <>], who wrote in article <>:
    > I had no problems with cperl-mode with emacs-21.3.
    > With emacs-21.4, it still works, but only if started manually (M-x
    > cperl-mode). Starting automaticall with
    >
    > (autoload 'perl-mode "cperl-mode" "alternate mode for editing Perl
    > programs" t)
    >
    > in the .emacs file fails. Instead, I get the message:
    >
    > File mode specification error: (error "Autoloading failed to define
    > function perl-mode")
    >
    > Any clues, anybody?

    Maybe you are using "my" cperl-mode.el with 21.3, and "their" with
    21.4? IIRC, with "their" version you need a different way to
    auto-associate, since it won't overwrite perl-mode...

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya
    Ilya Zakharevich, Feb 18, 2005

  3. Mike Dowling

    Mike Dowling Guest

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:18:44 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich <> wrote:
    > Mike Dowling
    ><>], who wrote in article <>:
    >> I had no problems with cperl-mode with emacs-21.3.
    >> With emacs-21.4, it still works, but only if started manually (M-x
    >> cperl-mode). Starting automaticall with
    >>
    >> (autoload 'perl-mode "cperl-mode" "alternate mode for editing Perl
    >> programs" t)
    >>
    >> in the .emacs file fails. Instead, I get the message:
    >>
    >> File mode specification error: (error "Autoloading failed to define
    >> function perl-mode")

    > Maybe you are using "my" cperl-mode.el with 21.3, and "their" with
    > 21.4? IIRC, with "their" version you need a different way to
    > auto-associate, since it won't overwrite perl-mode...

    Perhaps! I used the cperl-mode that came with emacs ("theirs") but it
    appeared to have been authored by you, but its probabale old. Where can
    I get the latest version, could you perhaps post it here?

    Here's the blurb in the commentary in the beginning:

    ;;; cperl-mode.el --- Perl code editing commands for Emacs

    ;; Copyright (C) 1985, 86, 87, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 1997
    ;; Free Software Foundation, Inc.

    ;; Author: Ilya Zakharevich and Bob Olson
    ;; Maintainer: Ilya Zakharevich <-state.edu>

    So it looks like it's yours, but

    (defvar cperl-tips 'please-ignore-this-line
    "Get newest version of this package from
    ftp://ftp.math.ohio-state.edu/pub/users/ilya/emacs
    and/or
    ftp://ftp.math.ohio-state.edu/pub/users/ilya/perl
    Subdirectory `cperl-mode' may contain yet newer development releases
    and/or
    patches to related files.

    For best results apply to an older Emacs the patches from
    ftp://ftp.math.ohio-state.edu/pub/users/ilya/cperl-mode/patches
    \(this upgrades syntax-parsing abilities of RMS Emaxen v19.34 and
    v20.2 up to the level of RMS Emacs v20.3 - a must for a good Perl
    mode.) You will not get much from XEmacs, its syntax abilities are
    too primitive.

    But these FTP URLs apparently no longer exist, so I deduce the
    cperl-mode distributed with emacs is ancient. A google search for more
    recent sources drew a blank.

    Cheers,
    Mike Dowling

    Mike Dowling, Feb 19, 2005
    Mike Dowling
    <>], who wrote in article <>:
    > > Maybe you are using "my" cperl-mode.el with 21.3, and "their" with
    > > 21.4? IIRC, with "their" version you need a different way to
    > > auto-associate, since it won't overwrite perl-mode...

    > Perhaps! I used the cperl-mode that came with emacs ("theirs") but it
    > appeared to have been authored by you, but its probabale old. Where can
    > I get the latest version, could you perhaps post it here?

    One which comes with Emacs is a tiny bit dumbed down to be more
    compatible with the "common ideology" of the Emacs package. See
    ilyaz.org/software/emacs for the "point-and-shoot" version.

    What do people think: is the presense of two versions hurting more
    than availability of a version "which just works" no matter what
    version of Emacs you are using (I use 19.33 ;-)?

    Yours,
    Ilya
    Ilya Zakharevich, Feb 19, 2005
  5. Mike Dowling

    Mike Dowling Guest

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:28:08 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich <> wrote:
    > Mike Dowling
    ><>], who wrote in article <>:
    >> > Maybe you are using "my" cperl-mode.el with 21.3, and "their" with
    >> > 21.4? IIRC, with "their" version you need a different way to
    >> > auto-associate, since it won't overwrite perl-mode...

    >> Perhaps! I used the cperl-mode that came with emacs ("theirs") but it
    >> appeared to have been authored by you, but its probabale old. Where can
    >> I get the latest version, could you perhaps post it here?

    > One which comes with Emacs is a tiny bit dumbed down to be more
    > compatible with the "common ideology" of the Emacs package. See
    > ilyaz.org/software/emacs for the "point-and-shoot" version.

    Great! Works out of the box! Just the gear!

    > What do people think: is the presense of two versions hurting more
    > than availability of a version "which just works" no matter what
    > version of Emacs you are using (I use 19.33 ;-)?

    Well, it hurts a bit. Obviously the version with emacs 21.4 is broken,
    and that hurts.

    As for the version, I always need the latest version of all useful Linux
    software. This is because I have been developing my own Linux directly
    from the sources ever since kernel version 0.7 (? I ferget exactly, but
    it's close). If I ever stop continually upgrading to latest versions,
    I'd be overwhelmed. I could then only catch up by reverting to a
    distribution.

    Cheers,
    Mike Dowling

    Mike Dowling, Feb 20, 2005
    Mike Dowling
    <>], who wrote in article <>:
    > On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:28:08 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich <> wrote:
    > > What do people think: is the presense of two versions hurting more
    > > than availability of a version "which just works" no matter what
    > > version of Emacs you are using (I use 19.33 ;-)?

    > Well, it hurts a bit. Obviously the version with emacs 21.4 is broken,
    > and that hurts.
    >
    > As for the version, I always need the latest version of all useful Linux
    > software.

    The "mine" and "their" versions have the same "version number"; *this*
    is the problem I had in mind. (*If* "their" version has any version
    number at all - they have some opposition to RCS strings in .el files...)

    Yours,
    Ilya
    Ilya Zakharevich, Feb 20, 2005
  7. Mike Dowling

    Radomir Hejl Guest

    "Mike Dowling" <-bs.de> pí¹e v diskusním pøíspìvku
    >I had no problems with cperl-mode with emacs-21.3.
    > With emacs-21.4, it still works, but only if started manually (M-x
    > cperl-mode). Starting automaticall with
    >
    > (autoload 'perl-mode "cperl-mode" "alternate mode for editing Perl
    > programs" t)
    >
    > in the .emacs file fails. Instead, I get the message:
    >
    > File mode specification error: (error "Autoloading failed to define
    > function perl-mode")
    >
    > Any clues, anybody?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > M. Dowling

    I installed emacs 21.4.2 on solaris and was surprised to have only
    cperl-mode 4.32 version.
    So I replaced it with 5.0 version from
    http://math.berkeley.edu/~ilya/software/emacs/
    and it works seamlessly. Most annoying thing for me was ignoring \(a,b,..)
    syntax which I suppose was fixed in 4.35.
    In .emacs I have
    (defalias 'perl-mode 'cperl-mode)
    (setq cperl-syntaxify-by-font-lock t)

    Radek
    Radomir Hejl, Feb 24, 2005
  8. Mike Dowling

    David Combs Guest

    In article <cvb777$2h72$>,
    Ilya Zakharevich <> wrote:

    >The "mine" and "their" versions have the same "version number"; *this*
    >is the problem I had in mind. (*If* "their" version has any version
    >number at all - they have some opposition to RCS strings in .el files...)
    >
    >Yours,
    >Ilya

    PLEASE, Ilya, prevail on the (gnu-?)emacs preparers/bundlers to
    place in:

    (1) "their" cperl-mode

    (2) the release-notes

    (3) the emacs manual (and .info)

    this:

    A *LOUD* notice that "their" cperl-mode is a hacked-by-them
    *version* of *your* cperl-mode.

    How "theirs" and yours differ, and why.

    Where to get *yours* -- and either why some
    (many) people prefer yours, or the url
    of that opinion.

    Ilya -- being as cperl-mode is ***YOUR*** code (even if not "legally",
    due to gnu-license?), you REQUIRE that they do the above.

    (also, doesn't the gnu/fsf-"license" *require* that they
    do this revealing of how to get the original, ie yours?)

    Thanks (from us all?)

    David

    (and much! thanks, from us all, for creating cperl-mode!)
    David Combs, Mar 7, 2005
    David Combs
    <>], who wrote in article <d0ghb3$4pa$>:

    Thanks for your advices on how I should/could lean on FSF...

    > Ilya -- being as cperl-mode is ***YOUR*** code (even if not "legally",
    > due to gnu-license?), you REQUIRE that they do the above.

    Maybe I'm getting tired too quick now? ;-) Anyway, I'm very grateful
    that now (after 10 years of bitching) "End" key does by default what
    it should have done from the beginning. Now if Emacs would reliably
    work with 8-bit input, I may even upgrade from the version 19.33 I'm
    running now. ;-) ;-)

    > (also, doesn't the gnu/fsf-"license" *require* that they
    > do this revealing of how to get the original, ie yours?)

    Interesting question. I do not recollect anything like this;
    I would not be surprised if I'm the only person who is ready to stand
    to the pressure and do not make the package "conform". ("Conformance"
    is very useful in some modes of deployment; but it is not
    *universally* better...)

    > (and much! thanks, from us all, for creating cperl-mode!)

    Actually, I did not create it; when I started it was in a reasonable
    shape already (similar to what other good Emacs packages are ;-). And
    a lot of thanks to everybody how helped me to improve it to the
    current state!

    Yours,
    Ilya
    Ilya Zakharevich, Mar 9, 2005