    this?

    Thanks
    John

    john, Jul 22, 2009

  2. john

    john Guest

    Hi,

    No, There is an 16 channel analog multiplexer that have maximum
    switching frequency of 500khz. The output of the multiplexer is
    connected to the ADC input. I did not understand the how I will be
    hosed and how the ADC will have gooey paste?

    JOhn

    john, Jul 22, 2009

  3. john

    Marty Ryba Guest

    "john" <> wrote in message
    > No, There is an 16 channel analog multiplexer that have maximum
    > switching frequency of 500khz. The output of the multiplexer is
    > connected to the ADC input. I did not understand the how I will be
    > hosed and how the ADC will have gooey paste?

    Well, this is more like sci.electronics.design material as opposed to VHDL,
    but Rob's comment has some merit. Unless you do some serious analog
    engineering in terms of letting each analog signal settle before the ADC is
    clocked (is it a flash ADC, or does the signal have to hold steady for a
    bit?), you will get a somewhat gooey mess. A long time ago we did build a
    board (running inside an ISA computer) with a couple analog Harris muxes and
    a pair of ADCs running at 20 MHz IIRC. Our main problem was that the grad
    student who did the PCB layout trusted the autorouter, which put some mux
    address lines too close to the analog trace running to the ADC. We were
    sampling noisy signals, so we only needed a few bits dynamic range. If you
    need high quality sampling as is typical for audio, then you really need to
    make sure that signal settles.

    -Marty

    Marty Ryba, Jul 23, 2009