cProfile taking up too much memory?

Dysgraphic Programmer

I am attempting to profile my project in python, but I am running out
of memory.

My project itself is fairly memory intensive, but even half-size runs
are dieing with "MemoryError" when run under cProfile.

Doing smaller runs is not a good option, because we suspect that the
run time is scaling super-linearly, and we are trying to discover
which functions are dominating during large runs.

Why is cProfile taking so much memory? Can I make it take less? Is
this normal?