CPU temperature reading with C

Flemming Hansen

Hi,

Here is the deal: I've connected a 2x20 HD44780 based LCD to the parallel
port and trying to program it. I'm using Borland C. I've managed to program
the HD44780. What I want to do is displaying different Mother Board settings
at the LCD. There are plenty of programs doing taht, but I want to make my
own simple DOS program displaying i.e CPU teperature, System temperatur,
system clock etc. I've searched in Google but couldn't find any usefull
stuff. I'm using an Abit IC7-G mother board. Abit has a tool called Abit Eq
showing the values I want to display. I'm a newbee in programming. Abit uses
a super I/O chip called winboard w83627hf. Some people claimed that BIOS
memory maps the values, and if I read the addresses I could get the values,
but I don't know the addresses and how to interprete the values. Could some
body help me with this issue?

Thanks in advance...

Mark Odell

Flemming said:
Hi,

Here is the deal: I've connected a 2x20 HD44780 based LCD to the parallel
port and trying to program it. I'm using Borland C.

[snip]

This question is better ask in comp.arch.embedded since C is hardware
non-specific.

petermcmillan_uk

Mark said:
Flemming said:
Hi,

Here is the deal: I've connected a 2x20 HD44780 based LCD to the parallel
port and trying to program it. I'm using Borland C.

[snip]

This question is better ask in comp.arch.embedded since C is hardware
non-specific.

Embedded? Wouldn't that be fore different architectures? This is a
normal computer, but a low level hardware question.

Mark Odell

Hi,

Here is the deal: I've connected a 2x20 HD44780 based LCD to the
parallel
port and trying to program it. I'm using Borland C.

[snip]

This question is better ask in comp.arch.embedded since C is hardware

non-specific.

Embedded? Wouldn't that be fore different architectures? This is a
normal computer, but a low level hardware question.

"Normal computer" and "embedded" are not mutually exclusive. Many
companies embed PCs in their products. Trust me, we have plenty of
experience with x86 computers and Hitachi LCDs in comp.arch.embedded.

CBFalconer

Mark said:
Flemming said:
Here is the deal: I've connected a 2x20 HD44780 based LCD to the
parallel port and trying to program it. I'm using Borland C.

[snip]

This question is better ask in comp.arch.embedded since C is
hardware non-specific.

Embedded? Wouldn't that be fore different architectures? This is
a normal computer, but a low level hardware question.

If you say so. You just got here, so you must know better than the
regulars what the subject of this newsgroup really is. This has
been confirmed by your extensive lurking and reading here. However
you still aren't going to get a viable answer here.

Walter Roberson

:> Embedded? Wouldn't that be fore different architectures? This is
:> a normal computer, but a low level hardware question.

:If you say so. You just got here, so you must know better than the
:regulars what the subject of this newsgroup really is.

ISTM that Peter isn't questioning whether comp.lang.c is an appropriate
newsgroup, but rather whether comp.arch.embedded was the appropriate
redirect. [Someone clarified that the specific hardware combination
is well known there, so it was appropriate -- it just wasn't
-obvious- to Peter that it was the right place.]

Flemming Hansen

Here is the deal: I've connected a 2x20 HD44780 based LCD to the
parallel

port and trying to program it. I'm using Borland C.

[snip]

This question is better ask in comp.arch.embedded since C is hardware

non-specific.

Embedded? Wouldn't that be fore different architectures? This is a
normal computer, but a low level hardware question.

"Normal computer" and "embedded" are not mutually exclusive. Many
companies embed PCs in their products. Trust me, we have plenty of
experience with x86 computers and Hitachi LCDs in comp.arch.embedded.

My question isn't about LCD and PC, about how to read some BIOS variables,
or some specific port addresses. I've experiences in IO boards embedded in
PC and programming them (controlling step motors, industri robots etc). I've
tried reverse engineering, but couldn't understand ASM codes. If I could
disasm an existing pc health monitor program I could get the addresses and
routines.Some guys gave me a link about some lm_sensors to linux. I couldn't
figure out how to read cpu temp etc.

CBFalconer

Flemming said:
[...]

You were given good advice about where to go for help. Use it,
instead of annoying with this off-topic nonsense. It will only get
you plonked here, and then the help on the C language won't be
there when you need it. Stripping all attributes also won't gain
you friends.

Thomas Matthews

Flemming said:
[...]

Processors that have their ports memory mapped can
be accessed by using pointers; provided that the operating
system allows you to access those addresses.

Again, your best source of information is
--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt