CPU temperature

kid joe

Hi,

Is it normal for the temperature of your CPU to increase as time goes on?

I've got an Athlon XP 2100+ and I see that the temp is now at 51C where it
used to be around 42 to 44.

Anyone have any ideas?

Antoninus Twink

Is it normal for the temperature of your CPU to increase as time goes on?

I've got an Athlon XP 2100+ and I see that the temp is now at 51C where it
used to be around 42 to 44.

You could try having a look to see if the CPU fan has got clogged up
with dust - that's the most likely thing.

51 isn't dangerously high though. I wouldn't worry unless it gets above
60C - then you should check your manufacturer's handbook. Modern desktop
CPUs have a maximum recommended temperature of anything between 65 and
85 centigrade.

Keith Thompson

kid joe said:
Is it normal for the temperature of your CPU to increase as time goes on?

I've got an Athlon XP 2100+ and I see that the temp is now at 51C where it
used to be around 42 to 44.

Anyone have any ideas?

This is comp.lang.c, which discusses the C programming language (no,
the C doesn't stand for Celcius). Try asking in a hardware group, or
just doing a Google search.

Lew Pitcher

kid joe said:

This is easy to fix. As you know, all computers are the same at heart, and
they all contain a Thermal Management Parameter block, which is stored in
a file (as you probably know, *everything* in C is a file) and which is
designed to allow you to control the temperature of your CPU. The TMP is
really easy to use. Just open it and write the new value (expressed, would
you believe, in Fahrenheit, which makes for the only hitch, really):

Geez. No wonder I always run hot; I thought that the TMP value was in
degrees Kelvin. I've slagged 5 processors in the last two days, just
running "Hello World" programs.

Thanks for the tip ;-)

--
Lew Pitcher

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

Geez. No wonder I always run hot; I thought that the TMP value was in
degrees Kelvin. I've slagged 5 processors in the last two days, just
running "Hello World" programs.

You're not alone Lew, this ridiculous flaw in the language has
been brought up several times by several different reputable
programmers at the Standards Committee meetings. As far back as 1986
it was proposed to adopt Standard International Units into the C
Standard but the proposal was quickly quenched by the powers that be
for "historical reasons". Come 2008 and we're still destroying our 3.2
GHz quad-cores all because a handful of old fogies can't cop on to
metric.

Bart

Hi,

Is it normal for the temperature of your CPU to increase as time goes on?

I've got an Athlon XP 2100+ and I see that the temp is now at 51C where it
used to be around 42 to 44.

Anyone have any ideas?

Summer?

But, why did you choose comp.lang.c to ask this question?

MisterE

kid joe said:
Hi,

Is it normal for the temperature of your CPU to increase as time goes on?

I've got an Athlon XP 2100+ and I see that the temp is now at 51C where it
used to be around 42 to 44.

Anyone have any ideas?

I think you will find the manual for that CPU will say it can work up to
90C.
The thermal pad that the retail amd kits come with seems to dry out and
loose thermal contract after years. I had a 2000+ that got hotter and hotter
each summer.

Richard

Default User said:
kid joe wrote:

How about, "find an appropriate newsgroup"?

Brian

Unbelievable! A full "good few" hours after the initial objections, in
comes Bwian with his petty admonitions! Of course he will claim he never
saw the other ones!

Only in c.l.c!

Antoninus Twink

The getchar() function will return the temperature at which your processor
begins to burn. Simply compare with tmp, and the pesky units problem will be
solved.

It's just amazing how much nonsense the people in this group will spout.
Can't you all either answer the question seriously or say nothing?

Joachim Schmitz

Antoninus said:
It's just amazing how much nonsense the people in this group will
spout. Can't you all either answer the question seriously or say
nothing?
Why not having a joke once in a while? At least these answers are somewhat
topical here (whereas the question clearly as not)

Bye, Jojo

Kenny McCormack

Why not having a joke once in a while? At least these answers are somewhat
topical here (whereas the question clearly as not)

If you don't see it, I probably couldn't explain it to you.

I had been about to post a fairly long screed, using concepts like
"hypocrisy" and "double standard" and "do so as I say, not as I do", but
then I realized that a) the regs would never get it and b) even if they
did (*), they'd never admit it.

(*) My guess is that you're not quite as psychotic as most of the regs,
and that you might actually get it, but, as indicated, your position
(as a reg 2nd grade) will prevent you from being able to own up.

kid joe

OK, so now I don't know when people are being serious or not. Will the
temperature outside in the room really have an effect? I thought the whole
point of CPU cooling was to maintain a constant temp??
But, why did you choose comp.lang.c to ask this question?

Yeah, sorry, I guess it's a bit off-topic... But I reasoned that there'd
be a strong positive correlation between people that program in C and
people that understand general hardware issues.

Kenny McCormack

Antoninus Twink mooted that:

And then asked, rhetorically:

And then, like clockwork, Eric Sosman supplied the proof for the point
mooted, thusly:
What preprocessor symbol should I test to get correct
internationalization in the following code?

(etc, etc)

santosh

kid said:
OK, so now I don't know when people are being serious or not. Will the
temperature outside in the room really have an effect? I thought the
whole point of CPU cooling was to maintain a constant temp??

Yeah, sorry, I guess it's a bit off-topic... But I reasoned that
there'd be a strong positive correlation between people that program
in C and people that understand general hardware issues.

Try alt.comp.hardware or comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips or a similar
group. My server carries 173 groups with "hardware" in their names. You
should be able to find a suitable one. The Web is also useful for such
queries. There must be thousands of computer forums and web sites.

viza

OK, so now I don't know when people are being serious or not. Will the
temperature outside in the room really have an effect? I thought the
whole point of CPU cooling was to maintain a constant temp??

No, it's not that clever. Your refrigerator has temperature sensors and
uses feedback to to only reduce the temperature until it reaches the
desired point, and many laptops also do this (in order to reduce battery
usage and noise) but almost all desktop coolers just reduce temperature
as much as they can, so yes, the external temperature can cause this.

Be aware also, that to explain an eight degree rise in core temperature
the room temperature would not even have to rise by as much as eight
degrees, because the cooler becomes less effective as the temperature
difference decreases (Newton's law).

Also be aware that the sensor temperature is not the core temperature,
and the safe maxima described by Antoninus are core temperatures. Unless
you have a CPU with an on-die sensor, the core might be ten or twenty
degrees hotter than the sensor.

My advice is: (1) clean your fans once a year or so*, (B) don't block the
vents. (C) don't even think about it unless you get crashes.

* Don't use compressed air - it's not air, it's usually a pollutant
petrochemical. Just close your eyes and blow!

Bart

OK, so now I don't know when people are being serious or not. Will the
temperature outside in the room really have an effect? I thought the whole
point of CPU cooling was to maintain a constant temp??

Perhaps also your machine is doing more work (eg. you have a virus),
so maybe look at the CPU load.

-- Bartc

Gestorm

fwrite(&fahr, 1, sizeof fahr, new);
Hey, It should be
fwrite(&fahr, sizeof fahr, 1, new);
doesn't it? ^_^
But the function tmpfile() is used to open a unique temporary file,
the file will be automatically deleted when it is closed or the
program terminates. It does nothing with temperature of CPU.

Ralf Damaschke

Gestorm said:
Hey, It should be
fwrite(&fahr, sizeof fahr, 1, new);
doesn't it? ^_^

Theoretically yes, but since the return value isn't used I don't
see any difference.
But the function tmpfile() is used to open a unique temporary file,
the file will be automatically deleted when it is closed or the
program terminates. It does nothing with temperature of CPU.

Oh dear, are you sure? I just ordered Fahrenheit 451 to learn
about that issue for my note(paper)book.

-- Ralf

Keith Thompson

Gestorm said:
Hey, It should be
fwrite(&fahr, sizeof fahr, 1, new);
doesn't it? ^_^

Perhaps, but it's not likely to matter.
But the function tmpfile() is used to open a unique temporary file,
the file will be automatically deleted when it is closed or the
program terminates. It does nothing with temperature of CPU.

Richard was pulling your leg (joking, if you don't understand that
idiom) because your question really has nothing to do with C.

Other people posted what appear to be more helpful answers, but since
they're in a forum where we don't necessarily know about such things,
there's no guarantee that those answers are any more accurate than
Richard's.

You really really really need to post in a newsgroup that deals with
hardware.