Crash in Java 1.6.0_13 ImageIO PNG decoder (and possibly later versions) loading large interlaced PN

Discussion in 'Java' started by dy/dx, Nov 12, 2012.

  1. dy/dx

    dy/dx Guest

    Using Java 1.6.0_13 -server -Xmx1100M what do you get if you run this code?

    import java.lang.ref.SoftReference;
    import java.io.File;
    import javax.imageio.ImageIO;

    public class Crash {
    public static void main (char[] args) {
    File f = new File("path-to-any-24-megapixel-RGB-PNG-goes-here");
    SoftReference a = new SoftReference(ImageIO.read(f));
    SoftReference b = new SoftReference(ImageIO.read(f));
    SoftReference c = new SoftReference(ImageIO.read(f));
    SoftReference d = new SoftReference(ImageIO.read(f));
    SoftReference e = new SoftReference(ImageIO.read(f));
    System.out.println("" + (a.get() == null) + (b.get() == null)
    + (c.get() == null) + (d.get() == null) + (e.get() == null));

    It should be easy for any of you with a digital camera to adapt this --
    just change the filename string to point to a 24-megapixel image you have
    laying around. Failing that, there's one linked at the bottom left of
    http://aerialphotographysandiego.com/samples-aerial-photography-san-diego.html

    The above will work fine with jpegs and noninterlaced pngs, reporting
    falsefalsefalsefalsefalse if you have more than a few hundred megs of mem
    and the -server VM. Convert the image to an interlaced png and point the
    above at the png, though, and it seems to behave as if System.exit was
    called, at least on my system, which is clearly incorrect behavior. (I
    tested it with the file from that link, converted to interlaced png with
    Photoshop CS2, in case that somehow makes a difference -- with a decoder
    bug, who knows? With the png created as described, it crashes with five
    copies loaded, but not with four.)

    Curiously, this change seems to prevent it:

    import java.lang.ref.SoftReference;
    import java.io.File;
    import javax.imageio.ImageIO;

    public class Crash {
    public static void main (char[] args) {
    File f = new File("path-to-a-24-megapixel-RGB-PNG-goes-here");
    SoftReference a = new SoftReference(ImageIO.read(f));
    System.gc();
    SoftReference b = new SoftReference(ImageIO.read(f));
    System.gc();
    SoftReference c = new SoftReference(ImageIO.read(f));
    System.gc();
    SoftReference d = new SoftReference(ImageIO.read(f));
    System.gc();
    SoftReference e = new SoftReference(ImageIO.read(f));
    System.out.println("" + (a.get() == null) + (b.get() == null)
    + (c.get() == null) + (d.get() == null) + (e.get() == null));

    That's clearly buggy, because System.gc() added or removed is not supposed
    to alter program semantics, only maybe performance; PLUS if it was running
    out of memory some SoftReferences should have been cleared to make more
    room without anything else in the way of consequences; PLUS if it somehow
    ran out of memory anyway it should have thrown an OOME rather than
    pretended the code called System.exit.

    As near as I can tell from this, the ImageIO png decoder in Java 1.6.0_13
    contains a crash-inducing bug that requires the png it's decoding to be
    interlaced *and* requires heap space to be running low to trigger it.

    I'm curious to know what other Java versions reproduce this buggy behavior.

    If it's present in 1.6.0_13 but absent in a later version, then obviously
    I'd especially like to know that.

    But I don't feel like going to a huge effort downloading a hundred megs of
    later-Java-version, installing it, rebooting, fixing everything I'd need to
    fix to make stuff use the later version, fixing broken links because the
    binary pathname changed, and so forth, only to find out that the bug's
    still there in the current version. :) So I'd like confirmation that it's
    gone in some later version before I spend an hour or two of my life on such
    a task.
    dy/dx, Nov 12, 2012

  2. dy/dx

    dy/dx Guest

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 23:36:09 -0500, dy/dx wrote:

> [...]
    > System.gc();
    > SoftReference e = new SoftReference(ImageIO.read(f));
    > System.out.println("" + (a.get() == null) + (b.get() == null)
    > + (c.get() == null) + (d.get() == null) + (e.get() == null));
    >
    > That's clearly buggy, because System.gc() added or removed is not supposed
    > to alter program semantics, only maybe performance; PLUS if it was running
    > out of memory some SoftReferences should have been cleared to make more
    > room without anything else in the way of consequences; PLUS if it somehow
    > ran out of memory anyway it should have thrown an OOME rather than
    > pretended the code called System.exit.
    >
    > As near as I can tell from this, the ImageIO png decoder in Java 1.6.0_13
    > contains a crash-inducing bug that requires the png it's decoding to be
    > interlaced *and* requires heap space to be running low to trigger it.

    Addendum: if the png is *either* interlaced *or* 32bpp (alpha channel) that
    seems to suffice. Encoding a problem png in Photoshop as a 24bpp
    non-interlaced png seems to make it "clean", i.e. non-bug-triggering for
    Java use. In Photoshop CS2 that involves "flatten image" and then saving to
    another directory and choosing a "none" radio button on a save options
    popup. YMMV with other Photoshop versions -- you're probably all using CS4
    or later. :)

    Similarly, taking a non-troublesome png (or non-png) and reencoding it as a
    png that's interlaced or 32bpp seems to make it crash ImageIO's decoder
    *if* the heap space is low enough at the time of decoding. In particular it
    makes the above code exhibit the crash. The size of the png matters, at
    least insofar as how quickly the above code gets the heap space low enough
    to enable the bug to strike. I pngcrushed a problem png and the number of
    loads I could have without a crash went up from 3 to 5; pngcrush reported a
    27% reduction in size. 5*0.73 = 3.65 so the bug enabling threshold was
    somewhere between 3*original size and 3.65*original size with that png.
    Moreover this was the *same image*; the BufferedImage object would have
    been about 72 megs and identical down to the last byte for both cases.

    So it's not the BufferedImage alone, it's also whatever temporary objects
    the decoder makes that affect the bug on subsequent decodes, through their
    lingering memory use as uncollected-as-yet garbage or some other mechanism,
    and this effect is proportional to the problem png's file size, not its
    uncompressed size, pointing to data structures created early in the
    decoding -- likely, the byte arrays holding successive chunks of the file
    itself.

    Changing the decoder to recycle one array instead of constantly making and
    discarding them might "fix" the bug, then, though it would really only be
    working around it. I'd have to guess that ImageIO's png decoder contains
    native code, and that native code does something to allocate memory on the
    Java heap for something, likely the output's WritableRaster, in a way that
    bypasses some safeguards. In particular, perhaps it doesn't check for heap
    exhaustion, run a stop-the-world collection, try again, and then throw OOME
    on failure like a normal allocation in non-native code, and some idiot put
    if (buff == NULL) { /* Can't happen */ exit(0); } or something similar. In
    any event, the bug should be found and fixed, if it hasn't been already,
    and not simply papered over by finding a way to avoid as easily triggering
    it. It would just end up happening with even
    larger-but-should-still-fit-in-the-heap-space pngs, or even with smaller
    pngs with big enough other data structures lying about.
    dy/dx, Nov 12, 2012

  3. dy/dx

    dy/dx Guest

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 00:40:18 -0500, dy/dx wrote:

    > I pngcrushed a problem png and the number of loads I could have without a
    > crash went up from 3 to 5; pngcrush reported a 27% reduction in size.
    > 5*0.73 = 3.65 so the bug enabling threshold was somewhere between 3*original
    > size and 3.65*original size with that png.

    Bah. Late night. 4*0.73 = 2.92 (no crash) while it crashed at 3, so the
    threshold was between 2.92*original size and 3*original size -- a pretty
    narrow range. That file was about 10MB on disk before crushing and about
    7.3MB afterward, so between 29.2 and 30 megs of interlaced-or-32-bpp png
    lies the triggering threshold, at least in my system's case. Again, that
    might vary even on systems that have the bug: try replacing the individual
    SoftReference variable initializers and println with something like List a
    = new ArrayList(); for (int i = 0; i < 50; i++) { System.out.println("" +
    i); a.add(ImageIO.read(f)); } and run it. If you get OOME, the bug isn't
    happening for you; if Java just exits, it is.
    dy/dx, Nov 12, 2012
  4. dy/dx

    markspace Guest

    Re: Crash in Java 1.6.0_13 ImageIO PNG decoder (and possibly laterversions) loading large interlaced PNGs with low memory

    On 11/11/2012 9:50 PM, dy/dx wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 00:40:18 -0500, dy/dx wrote:
    >
    >> I pngcrushed a problem png and the number of loads I could have without a
    >> crash went up from 3 to 5; pngcrush reported a 27% reduction in size.
    >> 5*0.73 = 3.65 so the bug enabling threshold was somewhere between 3*original
    >> size and 3.65*original size with that png.

    > Bah. Late night. 4*0.73 = 2.92 (no crash) while it crashed at 3, so the
    > threshold was between 2.92*original size and 3*original size -- a pretty
    > narrow range. That file was about 10MB on disk before crushing and about
    > 7.3MB afterward, so between 29.2 and 30 megs of interlaced-or-32-bpp png
    > lies the triggering threshold, at least in my system's case. Again, that
    > might vary even on systems that have the bug: try replacing the individual
    > SoftReference variable initializers and println with something like List a
    > = new ArrayList(); for (int i = 0; i < 50; i++) { System.out.println("" +
    > i); a.add(ImageIO.read(f)); } and run it. If you get OOME, the bug isn't
    > happening for you; if Java just exits, it is.

    Could you load the offending files on a photo sharing service? I'd like
    to check them out.
    markspace, Nov 12, 2012
  5. Re: Crash in Java 1.6.0_13 ImageIO PNG decoder (and possibly laterversions) loading large interlaced PNGs with low memory

    In <k7pubs$rff$> dy/dx wrote:

    > Using Java 1.6.0_13 -server -Xmx1100M what do you get if you run this code?
    >
    > [...] I don't feel like going to a huge effort downloading a hundred megs of
    > later-Java-version, installing it, rebooting, fixing everything I'd need to
    > fix to make stuff use the later version, fixing broken links because the
    > binary pathname changed, and so forth, only to find out that the bug's
    > still there in the current version. :)

    Please confirm that your internet connection is a 110 baud telex line on
    Antarctica, and that you need to copy every byte by hand from the telprinter
    paper to your terminal prompt to write them to disk. I'd be happy to assist if
    I knew downloading 70 - not a couple of hundred - megabytes was a substantial
    chore for you.

    Also, tell me you're not running a 6u13 based service that exposed to the
    internet? There are remotely triggerable DOS issues that has been resolved
    since u13. The latest patch release is update 37, that's a whopping 24
    security and stability improving patch releases ahead of your environment.

    Besides, if your source code, build system, and service configuration is so
    fragile it requires several hours of work just to upgrade the JDK, I recommend
    that you take some time to fix that. Changing your $PATH and $JAVA_HOME
    variables shouldn't be that much work. And while you're at it, consider
    upgrading to JDK 7, as JDK 6 (non-for-pay) has a scheduled EOL in November 2012.

    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html
    https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/updated_java_6_eol_date

    --
    Fredrik Jonson
    Fredrik Jonson, Nov 12, 2012
  6. Re: Crash in Java 1.6.0_13 ImageIO PNG decoder (and possibly laterversions) loading large interlaced PNGs with low memory

    Fredrik Jonson wrote:

    > And while you're at it, consider upgrading to JDK 7, as JDK 6
    > (non-for-pay) has a scheduled EOL in November 2012.
    >
    > http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html
    > https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/updated_java_6_eol_date

    I apologise. You've got another three month of time to upgrade to
    JDK 7. Public releases of JDK 6 wont go away until February 2013.

    --
    Fredrik Jonson
    Fredrik Jonson, Nov 12, 2012
  7. dy/dx

    dy/dx Guest

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 22:35:55 -0800, markspace wrote:

    > On 11/11/2012 9:50 PM, dy/dx wrote:
    >> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 00:40:18 -0500, dy/dx wrote:
    >>
    >>> I pngcrushed a problem png and the number of loads I could have without a
    >>> crash went up from 3 to 5; pngcrush reported a 27% reduction in size.
    >>> 5*0.73 = 3.65 so the bug enabling threshold was somewhere between 3*original
    >>> size and 3.65*original size with that png.

    >> Bah. Late night. 4*0.73 = 2.92 (no crash) while it crashed at 3, so the
    >> threshold was between 2.92*original size and 3*original size -- a pretty
    >> narrow range. That file was about 10MB on disk before crushing and about
    >> 7.3MB afterward, so between 29.2 and 30 megs of interlaced-or-32-bpp png
    >> lies the triggering threshold, at least in my system's case. Again, that
    >> might vary even on systems that have the bug: try replacing the individual
    >> SoftReference variable initializers and println with something like List a
    >> = new ArrayList(); for (int i = 0; i < 50; i++) { System.out.println("" +
    >> i); a.add(ImageIO.read(f)); } and run it. If you get OOME, the bug isn't
    >> happening for you; if Java just exits, it is.
    >>

    > Could you load the offending files on a photo sharing service? I'd like
    > to check them out.

    I already provided an exact recipe for creating a problem png: download the
    24-megapixel image linked from

    http://aerialphotographysandiego.com/samples-aerial-photography-san-diego.html

    and use Photoshop to create a copy that is an interlaced png. (As long as
    you don't /distribute/ the copy, it shouldn't be copyright infringement, as
    private format-shifting of copyrighted content has been found legal. But
    I'm not about to risk getting sued by uploading the results to imageshack
    or wherever, and the other problem pngs I have are part of some
    confidential work, so...)
    dy/dx, Nov 12, 2012
  8. dy/dx

    dy/dx Guest

    On 12 Nov 2012 09:37:16 GMT, Fredrik Jonson wrote:

    > In <k7pubs$rff$> dy/dx wrote:
    >
    >> Using Java 1.6.0_13 -server -Xmx1100M what do you get if you run this code?
    >>
    >> [...] I don't feel like going to a huge effort downloading a hundred megs of
    >> later-Java-version, installing it, rebooting, fixing everything I'd need to
    >> fix to make stuff use the later version, fixing broken links because the
    >> binary pathname changed, and so forth, only to find out that the bug's
    >> still there in the current version. :)

    > Please confirm that your internet connection is a 110 baud telex line on
    > Antarctica, and that you need to copy every byte by hand from the telprinter
    > paper to your terminal prompt to write them to disk. I'd be happy to assist if
    > I knew downloading 70 - not a couple of hundred - megabytes was a substantial
    > chore for you.
    >
    > Also, tell me you're not running a 6u13 based service that exposed to the
    > internet?

    Nope. Private development machine. And we are making desktop apps --
    shocker, I know.

    > Besides, if your source code, build system, and service configuration is so
    > fragile it requires several hours of work just to upgrade the JDK, I recommend
    > that you take some time to fix that. Changing your $PATH and $JAVA_HOME
    > variables shouldn't be that much work. And while you're at it, consider
    > upgrading to JDK 7, as JDK 6 (non-for-pay) has a scheduled EOL in November 2012.
    >
    > http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html
    > https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/updated_java_6_eol_date

    Nothing is ever just straightforward plug-and-play, whatever is advertised.
    Simply downloading and running an installer for JDK 7 will not be
    sufficient. Either stuff will just chug along merrily using 1.6.0_13 or
    stuff will break. It happened before when our shop finally updated to Java
    6 from Java 1.3, a few years ago. Without a compelling reason it just
    doesn't seem worth the hassle.
    dy/dx, Nov 12, 2012
  9. dy/dx

    Joerg Meier Guest

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 11:30:27 -0500, dy/dx wrote:

    > I already provided an exact recipe for creating a problem png: download the
    > 24-megapixel image linked from
    >
    > http://aerialphotographysandiego.com/samples-aerial-photography-san-diego.html
    >
    > and use Photoshop to create a copy that is an interlaced png.

    You think people will buy (or pirate) a $700 product because you're too
    lazy to find an example image for the problem you want people to spend
    their time on for you ?

    Good luck with that ;-)

    Liebe Gruesse,
    Joerg

    ungelesen.
    Joerg Meier, Nov 12, 2012
  10. dy/dx

    dy/dx Guest

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 18:20:51 +0100, Joerg Meier wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 11:30:27 -0500, dy/dx wrote:
    >
    >> I already provided an exact recipe for creating a problem png: download the
    >> 24-megapixel image linked from
    >>
    >> http://aerialphotographysandiego.com/samples-aerial-photography-san-diego.html
    >>
    >> and use Photoshop to create a copy that is an interlaced png.

    > You think people will buy (or pirate) a $700 product because you're too
    > lazy to find an example image for the problem you want people to spend
    > their time on for you ?
    >
    > Good luck with that ;-)
    >
    > Liebe Gruesse,
    > Joerg

    Who said anything about buying or pirating anything? I gave a recipe I knew
    was guaranteed to make a problem png. I doubt very much it's the only one.
    Surely you have access to image conversion tools that can make an
    interlaced png from a jpg.
    dy/dx, Nov 12, 2012
  11. dy/dx

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    On 11/12/12 9:26 AM, dy/dx wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 18:20:51 +0100, Joerg Meier wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 11:30:27 -0500, dy/dx wrote:
    >>
    >>> I already provided an exact recipe for creating a problem png: download the
    >>> 24-megapixel image linked from
    >>>
    >>> http://aerialphotographysandiego.com/samples-aerial-photography-san-diego.html
    >>>
    >>> and use Photoshop to create a copy that is an interlaced png.

    >> You think people will buy (or pirate) a $700 product because you're too
    >> lazy to find an example image for the problem you want people to spend
    >> their time on for you ?
    >>
    >> Good luck with that ;-)
    >>
    >> Liebe Gruesse,
    >> Joerg

    > Who said anything about buying or pirating anything? I gave a recipe I knew
    > was guaranteed to make a problem png. I doubt very much it's the only one.
    > Surely you have access to image conversion tools that can make an
    > interlaced png from a jpg.

    Surely you want to help us help you as much as possible. Provide for us
    a problem image.
    Daniel Pitts, Nov 12, 2012
  12. dy/dx

    dy/dx Guest

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 15:53:32 -0800, Daniel Pitts wrote:

    > On 11/12/12 9:26 AM, dy/dx wrote:

    >>> You think people will buy (or pirate) a $700 product because you're too
    >>> lazy to find an example image for the problem you want people to spend
    >>> their time on for you ?
    >>>
    >>> Good luck with that ;-)
    >>>
    >>> Liebe Gruesse,
    >>> Joerg

    >> Who said anything about buying or pirating anything? I gave a recipe I knew
    >> was guaranteed to make a problem png. I doubt very much it's the only one.
    >> Surely you have access to image conversion tools that can make an
    >> interlaced png from a jpg.
    >>

    > Surely you want to help us help you as much as possible. Provide for us
    > a problem image.

    How? Even supposing I was willing to either expose confidential data or
    infringe San Diego Photos and Prints's copyright, where am I supposed to
    host a 50MB png file on short notice? You might not have noticed, but
    Imageshack and similar such sites emphatically do NOT support hosting
    images that big. I have not been able to find a problem png on the web. And
    is "download this 13MB jpg and then convert it to interlaced png" really
    much more onerous than just "download this 50MB png"?
    dy/dx, Nov 13, 2012
  13. Re: Crash in Java 1.6.0_13 ImageIO PNG decoder (and possibly laterversions) loading large interlaced PNGs with low memory

    On 11/12/2012 4:52 PM, dy/dx wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 15:53:32 -0800, Daniel Pitts wrote:

    >>> Who said anything about buying or pirating anything? I gave a recipe I knew
    >>> was guaranteed to make a problem png. I doubt very much it's the only one.
    >>> Surely you have access to image conversion tools that can make an
    >>> interlaced png from a jpg.
    >>>

    >> Surely you want to help us help you as much as possible. Provide for us
    >> a problem image.

    > How? Even supposing I was willing to either expose confidential data or
    > infringe San Diego Photos and Prints's copyright, where am I supposed to
    > host a 50MB png file on short notice? You might not have noticed, but
    > Imageshack and similar such sites emphatically do NOT support hosting
    > images that big. I have not been able to find a problem png on the web. And
    > is "download this 13MB jpg and then convert it to interlaced png" really
    > much more onerous than just "download this 50MB png"?

    Clearly nobody is going to go to the effort to attempt to diagnose your
    problem without a known bad image file. Surely you can obfuscate one of
    your faulty images and make it available somewhere? The problem is
    intriguing, that's why I haven't Kd this thread. But it is not
    intriguing enough to get me to buy Adobe or to attempt to create a
    defective file without some actual knowledge that it is in fact
    defective. Your choice.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    Knute Johnson, Nov 13, 2012
  14. dy/dx

    dy/dx Guest

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:03:52 -0800, Knute Johnson wrote:

    > On 11/12/2012 4:52 PM, dy/dx wrote:

    >>> Surely you want to help us help you as much as possible. Provide for us
    >>> a problem image.

    >> How? Even supposing I was willing to either expose confidential data or
    >> infringe San Diego Photos and Prints's copyright, where am I supposed to
    >> host a 50MB png file on short notice? You might not have noticed, but
    >> Imageshack and similar such sites emphatically do NOT support hosting
    >> images that big. I have not been able to find a problem png on the web. And
    >> is "download this 13MB jpg and then convert it to interlaced png" really
    >> much more onerous than just "download this 50MB png"?
    >>

    > Clearly nobody is going to go to the effort to attempt to diagnose your
    > problem without a known bad image file. Surely you can obfuscate one of
    > your faulty images and make it available somewhere?

    Once more, with feeling:

    Make it available /where/? Again, the consumer image hosting sites don't
    take images that big. They'll resize it to something much smaller if
    they'll even let me upload it to begin with.
    dy/dx, Nov 13, 2012
  15. Re: Crash in Java 1.6.0_13 ImageIO PNG decoder (and possibly laterversions) loading large interlaced PNGs with low memory

    On 11/12/2012 6:25 PM, dy/dx wrote:
    > Once more, with feeling:
    >
    > Make it available /where/? Again, the consumer image hosting sites don't
    > take images that big. They'll resize it to something much smaller if
    > they'll even let me upload it to begin with.

    Send me an email and I'll give you a place to send it. I can make it
    available to anyone else that wants to work on it.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute2012/
    Knute Johnson, Nov 13, 2012
  16. Re: Crash in Java 1.6.0_13 ImageIO PNG decoder (and possibly laterversions) loading large interlaced PNGs with low memory

    dy/dx <> wrote:

    >> Surely you want to help us help you as much as possible. Provide for us
    >> a problem image.

    > How? Even supposing I was willing to either expose confidential data or
    > infringe San Diego Photos and Prints's copyright, where am I supposed to
    > host a 50MB png file on short notice?

    Fwiw., have you looked at dropbox.com ?

    Here's an example of how download of a dropbox'ed image works for
    others: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ig5yt2v1thsgncd/IMG_0241.JPG

    According to the "help center":
    < Files uploaded through the website [...] have a 300 MB cap.

    that should be enough for the case at hand.

    Now, that the webspace-issue should be solved, you can tile
    up any d-cam photo (if you like, also the one I linked as example)
    to the necessary size, so no need to infringe anyone's copyrights.

    PS: Can't promise any help on the actual bug, though.
    Andreas Leitgeb, Nov 13, 2012
  17. Re: Crash in Java 1.6.0_13 ImageIO PNG decoder (and possibly laterversions) loading large interlaced PNGs with low memory

    On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:25:42 AM UTC+1, dy/dx wrote:

    > Make it available /where/? Again, the consumer image hosting sites don't
    > take images that big. They'll resize it to something much smaller if

    If you have a GMail account you should also have Google Drive.

    Cheers

    robert
    Robert Klemme, Nov 13, 2012