Crash?

Samuël van Laere

Travis Newbury said:
Well you win the dumbest question award.

Yeah perhaps chrashing IE is a bit to much.
I do remember visiting a website some time ago
that warned me when I was browsing with IE.
But I can't remember where at.
I could allway's print "optimized for Mozilla/Firefox" onscreen ;)

Offcourse I was joking about crashing IE for real world purposes,
just was interested if it could be done.
I support all modern browsers even bad ones.

Regards,
Samuël van Laere

Richard Cornford

Offcourse I was joking about crashing IE for real
world purposes, just was interested if it could be done.
I support all modern browsers even bad ones.

If you are only interested in whether it can be done then yes, there is
one simple line of javascript that will crash all (javascript enabled)
versions of IE 5+, and at least a dozen that will crash IE 4. However,
there is also a simple line of javascript that will crash all
Mozilla/Gecko versions to date, another that does the same for Opera 7,
and others that will crash or hang every javascript capable web browsers
that I have had a chance to examine in that detail. None of them are
lines of code that would have any place in any reasonable browser
script.

It wouldn't be a good idea to start deliberately crashing other people's
browsers because you can never tell where that sort of tactics will end
up.

Richard.

Jeffrey Silverman

Just wondering if there's a way to crash IE,
without affecting other browsers?
Offcourse it needs to be done with prefectly valid HTML.
That way I can blaim it on IE you see.

Regards,
Samuël

I'm suprised no one seemed to mention this one (all various links
describing the same thing):

<http://computercops.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=2410>
<http://www.techspot.com/vb/archive/index/t-5294.html>
<http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/319360/2003-04-20/2003-04-26/0>