Crashes always on Windows 7

zmagic11

Hi,

Downloaded ActiveSync ActivePython on my Windows 7 machine. Worked for a little while and now it crashes every time I try to boot the IDLE or open a program, it crashes. Help please? Thanks

Dave Angel

Hi,

Downloaded ActiveSync ActivePython on my Windows 7 machine. Worked for a little while and now it crashes every time I try to boot the IDLE or open a program, it crashes. Help please? Thanks

I'm not aware of any boot option for Windows that involves IDLE. And
why Notepad and Internet Explorer should suddenly crash, I have no idea.

How about some more details? What messages do you get in your console
window when you run "a program" ? Please cut and paste the whole
message, no paraphrasing.

Also, please tell us the versions involved, and in the case of
ActiveSync, where you got it.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/unattended/wiki/ActiveSync
seems to be perl related, not Python.

Presumably you mean the Microsoft product (no idea what that has to do
with Python), but according to one source:

"Microsoft ActiveSync (Superceded By Windows Mobile Device
Center)"

Dennis Lee Bieber

Hi,

Downloaded ActiveSync ActivePython on my Windows 7 machine. Worked for a little while and now it crashes every time I try to boot the IDLE or open a program, it crashes. Help please? Thanks

I sure hope you meant "ActiveState"...

"ActiveSync" is M$ system for synchronizing PDAs with desktop
systems (Outlook address/task/appointments, mostly, along with specific
files).

Does PythonWin run (included with ActiveState Windows installers)?

What messages do you get when you enter "python" in a command
prompt? What do you get for ftype and assoc commands?

E:\UserData\Wulfraed\My Documents>assoc .py
..py=py_auto_file

E:\UserData\Wulfraed\My Documents>ftype py_auto_file
py_auto_file="E:\Python25\python.exe" "%1" %*

E:\UserData\Wulfraed\My Documents>python
ActivePython 2.5.2.2 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on
Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Mar 27 2008, 17:57:18) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32
E:\UserData\Wulfraed\My Documents>

(My Win7 laptop with Python 2.7.x shows "python.file" where the WinXP
box is using "py_auto_file")

zmagic11

Hi,

Downloaded ActiveSync ActivePython on my Windows 7 machine. Worked for a little while and now it crashes every time I try to boot the IDLE or open aprogram, it crashes. Help please? Thanks

Hi Hi, sorry for the confusion. Yes, I meant ActiveState ActivePython. It worked fine for a few hours and now every time I open up the IDLE Shell, it opens fine. Then when I try to open a previously made file, the shell immediately closes and nothing else happens. When I enter Python in the command line, I get the ActivePython information.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Hi Hi, sorry for the confusion. Yes, I meant ActiveState ActivePython. It worked fine for a few hours and now every time I open up the IDLE Shell, it opens fine. Then when I try to open a previously made file, the shell immediately closes and nothing else happens. When I enter Python in the command line, I get the ActivePython information.

Which still doesn't tell us everything...

HOW are you trying "to open a previously made file"? WHAT do you
even /mean/ by "open"?

Gazing into a crystal ball, while on the verge of a drunken stupor
compounded by lack of sleep..

I see you <double-clicking> on a .py file icon.

Double-clicking a .py file, on a PROPER Python install, will attempt
to RUN the script. This commonly results in a Windows "command prompt"
(console window) flashing onto the screen (stdin and stdout are hooked
to that console). When the script exits (for whatever reason -- likely
because it has no data to process), the console window will go away.

To edit the file, you'll need to open whatever editing program you
favor, and use it's "file/open..." menu to find the file to be edited
(or, in a fully aware system, drag the .py file icon /to/ the editor
window).

Note that IDLE itself is a Python script, so you can not have the
"open" action of double click on a .py file assigned to run IDLE as an
editor -- because double clicking on an IDLE.py would try to open IDLE
for editing /using itself/.

On my WinXP system, <right-click> on a .py file reveals an "edit"
command option -- which opens PythonWin with the file in an edit window.
I can also use the "send to" list to send the file to SciTE for editing
if I prefer to use that one.

zmagic11

Hi,

Downloaded ActiveSync ActivePython on my Windows 7 machine. Worked for a little while and now it crashes every time I try to boot the IDLE or open a program, it crashes. Help please? Thanks

Open using File>Open on the Shell

Terry Reedy

Hi Hi, sorry for the confusion. Yes, I meant ActiveState
ActivePython. It worked fine for a few hours and now every time I
open up the IDLE Shell, it opens fine. Then when I try to open a
previously made file, the shell immediately closes and nothing else
happens.
When I enter Python in the command line, I get the
ActivePython information.

Being specific is really important. The subject line is slightly
misleading. Python is working fine for you. Idle is too. I *suspect* you
are trying to open via a Library or Favorite. There is a known issue
that this does not work on Win 7 and it seems to be a bug in tcl/tk or
Windows that we have no control or responsibility for. Opening via a
normal directory works fine. If the above is *not* what you are doing,
please be exactly specific.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Open using File>Open on the Shell

Well, a step toward more information... I presume by "shell" you
mean IDLE.

What is the full path to the file you are trying to open (as someone
else mentioned, Win7 "Libraries" seem to cause problems).

Why no open a Windows console (Win7 "search" for "cmd.exe", and hope
it finds it -- I've not had much luck with that search/run system, and
run it).

When you get one open, navigate to the directory containing idle.py,
and run IDLE from the console, a la:

E:\>cd Python25\lib\idlelib

E:\Python25\Lib\idlelib>python idle.py

E:\Python25\Lib\idlelib>

Then try opening your file (take note of the full path used in the
open requester).

With luck, if IDLE crashes, you will have a Python exception
traceback in the console window. Cut&Paste that traceback (all of it, up
to the command that started IDLE)* it into a response here, along with
the full path of the file you tried to open.

* Windows consoles normally don't honor <ctrl-c>/<ctrl-v> -- right
click in the console, select "mark", click-select the text (you'll have
to select the full width of the console, it uses rectangular select
area, not logical line select), then right-click again to "copy". You
can use <ctrl-v> to paste into the reply window.

Terry Reedy

Open using File>Open on the Shell

The important question, as I said in my previous post, is *exactly* what
you do in the OpenFile dialog. Some things work, others do not.
And we (Python) have no control.