Crashes always on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Python' started by zmagic11@gmail.com, Aug 17, 2012.

    Downloaded ActiveSync ActivePython on my Windows 7 machine. Worked for a little while and now it crashes every time I try to boot the IDLE or open a program, it crashes. Help please? Thanks

    , Aug 17, 2012

  2. Dave Angel Guest

    On 08/17/2012 09:38 AM, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Downloaded ActiveSync ActivePython on my Windows 7 machine. Worked for a little while and now it crashes every time I try to boot the IDLE or open a program, it crashes. Help please? Thanks

    I'm not aware of any boot option for Windows that involves IDLE. And
    why Notepad and Internet Explorer should suddenly crash, I have no idea.

    How about some more details? What messages do you get in your console
    window when you run "a program" ? Please cut and paste the whole
    message, no paraphrasing.

    Also, please tell us the versions involved, and in the case of
    ActiveSync, where you got it.

    http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/unattended/wiki/ActiveSync
    seems to be perl related, not Python.

    Presumably you mean the Microsoft product (no idea what that has to do
    with Python), but according to one source:

    "Microsoft ActiveSync (Superceded By Windows Mobile Device
    Center)"

    --

    DaveA

    Dave Angel, Aug 17, 2012

  3. On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 06:38:16 -0700 (PDT), declaimed
    the following in gmane.comp.python.general:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Downloaded ActiveSync ActivePython on my Windows 7 machine. Worked for a little while and now it crashes every time I try to boot the IDLE or open a program, it crashes. Help please? Thanks

    I sure hope you meant "ActiveState"...

    "ActiveSync" is M$ system for synchronizing PDAs with desktop
    systems (Outlook address/task/appointments, mostly, along with specific
    files).

    Does PythonWin run (included with ActiveState Windows installers)?

    What messages do you get when you enter "python" in a command
    prompt? What do you get for ftype and assoc commands?

    E:\UserData\Wulfraed\My Documents>assoc .py
    ..py=py_auto_file

    E:\UserData\Wulfraed\My Documents>ftype py_auto_file
    py_auto_file="E:\Python25\python.exe" "%1" %*

    E:\UserData\Wulfraed\My Documents>python
    ActivePython 2.5.2.2 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on
    Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Mar 27 2008, 17:57:18) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
    (Intel)] on win32
    >>> exit()

    E:\UserData\Wulfraed\My Documents>

    (My Win7 laptop with Python 2.7.x shows "python.file" where the WinXP
    box is using "py_auto_file")
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Aug 17, 2012

    On Friday, August 17, 2012 9:38:16 PM UTC+8, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > Downloaded ActiveSync ActivePython on my Windows 7 machine. Worked for a little while and now it crashes every time I try to boot the IDLE or open aprogram, it crashes. Help please? Thanks

    Hi Hi, sorry for the confusion. Yes, I meant ActiveState ActivePython. It worked fine for a few hours and now every time I open up the IDLE Shell, it opens fine. Then when I try to open a previously made file, the shell immediately closes and nothing else happens. When I enter Python in the command line, I get the ActivePython information.

    , Aug 18, 2012
  5. On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 20:09:12 -0700 (PDT), declaimed
    the following in gmane.comp.python.general:

    > Hi Hi, sorry for the confusion. Yes, I meant ActiveState ActivePython. It worked fine for a few hours and now every time I open up the IDLE Shell, it opens fine. Then when I try to open a previously made file, the shell immediately closes and nothing else happens. When I enter Python in the command line, I get the ActivePython information.

    Which still doesn't tell us everything...

    HOW are you trying "to open a previously made file"? WHAT do you
    even /mean/ by "open"?

    Gazing into a crystal ball, while on the verge of a drunken stupor
    compounded by lack of sleep..

    I see you <double-clicking> on a .py file icon.

    Double-clicking a .py file, on a PROPER Python install, will attempt
    to RUN the script. This commonly results in a Windows "command prompt"
    (console window) flashing onto the screen (stdin and stdout are hooked
    to that console). When the script exits (for whatever reason -- likely
    because it has no data to process), the console window will go away.

    To edit the file, you'll need to open whatever editing program you
    favor, and use it's "file/open..." menu to find the file to be edited
    (or, in a fully aware system, drag the .py file icon /to/ the editor
    window).

    Note that IDLE itself is a Python script, so you can not have the
    "open" action of double click on a .py file assigned to run IDLE as an
    editor -- because double clicking on an IDLE.py would try to open IDLE
    for editing /using itself/.

    On my WinXP system, <right-click> on a .py file reveals an "edit"
    command option -- which opens PythonWin with the file in an edit window.
    I can also use the "send to" list to send the file to SciTE for editing
    if I prefer to use that one.

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Aug 18, 2012

    On Friday, August 17, 2012 9:38:16 PM UTC+8, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > Downloaded ActiveSync ActivePython on my Windows 7 machine. Worked for a little while and now it crashes every time I try to boot the IDLE or open a program, it crashes. Help please? Thanks

    Open using File>Open on the Shell

    , Aug 18, 2012
  7. Terry Reedy Guest

    On 8/17/2012 11:09 PM, wrote:

    > Hi Hi, sorry for the confusion. Yes, I meant ActiveState
    > ActivePython. It worked fine for a few hours and now every time I
    > open up the IDLE Shell, it opens fine. Then when I try to open a
    > previously made file, the shell immediately closes and nothing else
    > happens.

    > When I enter Python in the command line, I get the
    > ActivePython information.

    Being specific is really important. The subject line is slightly
    misleading. Python is working fine for you. Idle is too. I *suspect* you
    are trying to open via a Library or Favorite. There is a known issue
    that this does not work on Win 7 and it seems to be a bug in tcl/tk or
    Windows that we have no control or responsibility for. Opening via a
    normal directory works fine. If the above is *not* what you are doing,
    please be exactly specific.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Aug 18, 2012
  8. On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 23:18:40 -0700 (PDT), declaimed
    the following in gmane.comp.python.general:

    > On Friday, August 17, 2012 9:38:16 PM UTC+8, wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >

    > > Downloaded ActiveSync ActivePython on my Windows 7 machine. Worked for a little while and now it crashes every time I try to boot the IDLE or open a program, it crashes. Help please? Thanks

    > Open using File>Open on the Shell

    Well, a step toward more information... I presume by "shell" you
    mean IDLE.

    What is the full path to the file you are trying to open (as someone
    else mentioned, Win7 "Libraries" seem to cause problems).

    Why no open a Windows console (Win7 "search" for "cmd.exe", and hope
    it finds it -- I've not had much luck with that search/run system, and
    run it).

    When you get one open, navigate to the directory containing idle.py,
    and run IDLE from the console, a la:

    E:\>cd Python25\lib\idlelib

    E:\Python25\Lib\idlelib>python idle.py

    E:\Python25\Lib\idlelib>

    Then try opening your file (take note of the full path used in the
    open requester).

    With luck, if IDLE crashes, you will have a Python exception
    traceback in the console window. Cut&Paste that traceback (all of it, up
    to the command that started IDLE)* it into a response here, along with
    the full path of the file you tried to open.

    * Windows consoles normally don't honor <ctrl-c>/<ctrl-v> -- right
    click in the console, select "mark", click-select the text (you'll have
    to select the full width of the console, it uses rectangular select
    area, not logical line select), then right-click again to "copy". You
    can use <ctrl-v> to paste into the reply window.

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Aug 18, 2012
  9. Terry Reedy Guest

    On 8/18/2012 2:18 AM, wrote:

    > Open using File>Open on the Shell

    The important question, as I said in my previous post, is *exactly* what
    you do in the OpenFile dialog. Some things work, others do not.
    And we (Python) have no control.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Aug 18, 2012