    I have tried searching with Google and I haven't been able to figure out
    a search string that wouldn't give me 100s of citations to full-blown
    installs of the Ruby library.
    Wesley Rishel, Mar 31, 2008

  2. Wesley Rishel

    Guest

    Hey Wesley,

    There's currently two available out there, in which allows you to
    create a Self-Contained Application, each with different methods of
    doing it. The first one, is rubyscript2exe (http://
    www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/). This lets you gather all of
    your libraries and the Ruby Interpreter executable itself, puts them
    all into an tar archive, then attaches it to what Erik describes as an
    Environment Embedding Executable. When it's run, it'll extract the
    files in the tar archive to a temporary directory, and run the ruby
    script, as if it was a normal executable. This solution works on
    Windows, and Linux, but takes a bit more trickery to make it work for
    MacOS X.

    There's also Exerb (http://exerb.sourceforge.jp/index.en.html), which
    does a similar method, however, it's only for Windows, and it only
    extracts the Extensions to a temporary file, so that they can be
    linked to, your script and such still remains within the executable
    file itself. Exerb uses Microsoft's Resource format, to store the
    files within the executable, which, like I said before, only the
    extensions are extracted, the rest stays in the executable.

    Hope this helps out,

    Mario Steele

    On Mar 31, 12:35 am, Wesley Rishel <> wrote:
    > Although I have started to use Ruby instead of Python, I very much miss
    > one feature that I have not been able to find in Ruby.
    >
    > There is a Python utility that takes a python script, and creates a
    > single installable file that contains the Python interpreter, the input
    > script and a stripped down version of the Python library with just
    > enough stuff to support the script.
    >
    > With it, I can share my treasures with people who might not be willing
    > to do a full-blown install of Python. As far as they know, my script
    > comes as just another EXE file for installing a program.
    >
    > Is there such a utility for Ruby?
    >
    > I have tried searching with Google and I haven't been able to figure out
    > a search string that wouldn't give me 100s of citations to full-blown
    > installs of the Ruby library.
    , Mar 31, 2008

  3. Wesley Rishel

    Marc Heiler Guest

    This question keeps on appearing over time :)
    Most often one is pointed to rubyscript2exe but does anyone know if Erik
    still maintains it?
    Marc Heiler, Mar 31, 2008
  4. > ... does anyone know if Erik still maintains it?

    Yes, he still maintains it. Actually, there will probably be a new
    release in a couple of days (read: weeks).

    gegroet,
    Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/
    Erik Veenstra, Mar 31, 2008
  5. Erik Veenstra wrote:
    >> ... does anyone know if Erik still maintains it?

    > Yes, he still maintains it. Actually, there will probably be a new
    > release in a couple of days (read: weeks).
    >
    > gegroet,
    > Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/

    Hello Erik:

    Please pat yourself on the back for me. I haven't used rubyscript2exe
    yet but I'm grateful that you've provided the option.

    Michael
    Michael Brooks, Apr 1, 2008
  6. Wesley Rishel

    James Britt Guest

    wrote:
    > Hey Wesley,
    >
    > There's currently two available out there, in which allows you to
    > create a Self-Contained Application, each with different methods of
    > doing it.

    You can also use JRuby, then bundle up your app in a jar and use Java
    Web Start to deploy it. Installation is a matter of clicking a link on
    a Web page.

    Fellow Happy Camper Logan Barnett gave a demo of this at last weekend's
    MountainWest RubyConf.

    --
    James Britt

    "Tear it up and start again."