    Could someone out there point me in the right direction.

    Many thanks in advance,

    Bill.

    William E Hatto, Jun 2, 2004

  2. How about Reporting Services?
    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reporting/default.asp

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    "William E Hatto" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have an ASP process that creates 'reports'. At the moment these reports
    > are output to a semi-comma delimmeted text file that I open in XLS. I then
    > run a macro that formats the page correctly for printing.
    >
    > What I would really like to happen is the ASP page creates either an XLS

    of
    > .DOC file that would open in excel (or word) with the contents

    pre-formatted
    > ready to print.
    >
    > I have been looking, but have been unable to find anything suitable on

    this.

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jun 2, 2004

  3. "William E Hatto" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have an ASP process that creates 'reports'. At the moment these reports
    > are output to a semi-comma delimmeted text file that I open in XLS. I then
    > run a macro that formats the page correctly for printing.
    >
    > What I would really like to happen is the ASP page creates either an XLS

    of
    > .DOC file that would open in excel (or word) with the contents

    pre-formatted
    > ready to print.
    >
    > I have been looking, but have been unable to find anything suitable on

    this.

    > Could someone out there point me in the right direction.

    Put the data into an HTML table instead:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=301044

    To get the formatting right, create an Excel sheet the way you want it to
    look and save it as HTML - then "reverse engineer" the resulting HTML code
    into your ASP.

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Jun 2, 2004
  4. Thanks Araron,

    I'm not using SQL server, just access and can only use technology 'freely'
    available, unfortunately.

    Bill.

    William E Hatto, Jun 2, 2004
  5. Thanks Tom,

    Funny you said that, I was just looking at that this very moment. My god
    there is some extra data to put into the file to get the desired result.

    Cheers, Bill.

    "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (A@T) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
    > "William E Hatto" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I have an ASP process that creates 'reports'. At the moment these

    reports
    > > are output to a semi-comma delimmeted text file that I open in XLS. I

    then
    > > run a macro that formats the page correctly for printing.
    > >
    > > What I would really like to happen is the ASP page creates either an XLS

    > of
    > > .DOC file that would open in excel (or word) with the contents

    > pre-formatted
    > > ready to print.
    > >
    > > I have been looking, but have been unable to find anything suitable on

    > this.
    > >
    > > Could someone out there point me in the right direction.

    > Put the data into an HTML table instead:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=301044
    >
    > To get the formatting right, create an Excel sheet the way you want it to
    > look and save it as HTML - then "reverse engineer" the resulting HTML code
    > into your ASP.
    >
    > --
    > Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    > http://www.iistoolshed.com/ - tools, scripts, and utilities for running

    IIS

    William E Hatto, Jun 2, 2004
  6. update your knowledge about 'free' databases then :)
    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/default.asp

    And while this msde is a stripped down SQL server, you -still- have -much-
    better performance and reliability than when you use Access.

    Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\), Jun 2, 2004
  7. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;169377

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;193332

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;199841

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264143&Product=xlw

    The last two are probably the best for you. But the second is pretty good also.

    --
    George Hester

    George Hester, Jun 4, 2004