Create and mount partitions

m.smith_1999

Hello,
I'm a student software developer.
As a part of an excerise I'm doing I'm trying to build a program to
create "mount files" and mount them.
Something like Sarah Dean's OTFE but really really basic, just to
create partitions and mount them. Nothing else.
All I want to do is be able to create a hidden partition inside an
existing partition (by providing an offset just like in FreeOTFE) and
be able to mount and dismount it.
Without anything else, no encryption, no other tools. Just that.

I downloaded Sarah's code, but it's in Delphi and I got really lost in
it. I hoped maybe someone here can help me and direct me. I already
sent her e-mail, but I got no reply.

I have no idea where to start with something like this, I wanna do in C
++.
But I have really hard time to start, I can't find proper
documentation in MSDN on how to do it, or available stuff on-line.

I hoped you can help me, give me a rough idea on what APIs I need to
use, I saw Sarah is using drivers, but for my basic needs I don't
think I need any drivers - what do you think? Do I need special
driver's to create and mount "hidden" partitions?

Please help me find some API or anything to get me started, even open-
source C++ app would help.

Thanks alot!
Michael

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

[...]

First of all, where did you get the idea to ask this question here
when it basically has nothing to do with C++? Platform specific
questions should be asked in platform specific forums, you'll have
better luck in one of the microsoft.public.windows.* groups.

As to your question: I'm not familiar with OTFE but it sounds like a
method to mount the content of a file as a filesystem. Since I don't
know of any existing programs that does this I would suspect that
you'd have to write at least the file system driver (this can be quite
a task) or a driver which takes a file and makes Windows treat it like
a disk (in which case you can use the built-in filesystem drivers in
Windows.

As to hiding a partition, if you use normal PC partitions then you
can't hide one since they are made to be visible. So you would have to
create some partition scheme of your own and rewrite all that logic
too.

Michael DOUBEZ

Erik Wikström a écrit :
Hello,
I'm a student software developer.
As a part of an excerise I'm doing I'm trying to build a program to
create "mount files" and mount them.
[snip]

I have no idea where to start with something like this, I wanna do in C
++.
But I have really hard time to start, I can't find proper
documentation in MSDN on how to do it, or available stuff on-line.

I hoped you can help me, give me a rough idea on what APIs I need to
use, I saw Sarah is using drivers, but for my basic needs I don't
think I need any drivers - what do you think? Do I need special
driver's to create and mount "hidden" partitions?

Please help me find some API or anything to get me started, even open-
source C++ app would help.

First of all, where did you get the idea to ask this question here
when it basically has nothing to do with C++? Platform specific
questions should be asked in platform specific forums, you'll have
better luck in one of the microsoft.public.windows.* groups.

You can get a relevant list of newsgroups at:
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9
As to your question: I'm not familiar with OTFE but it sounds like a
method to mount the content of a file as a filesystem. Since I don't
know of any existing programs that does this I would suspect that
you'd have to write at least the file system driver (this can be quite
a task) or a driver which takes a file and makes Windows treat it like
a disk (in which case you can use the built-in filesystem drivers in
Windows.

There is Explore2fs but it is in Delphi.
Part of the driver is in C, you can have a look:
http://www.chrysocome.net/downloads/
As to hiding a partition, if you use normal PC partitions then you
can't hide one since they are made to be visible. So you would have to
create some partition scheme of your own and rewrite all that logic
too.

My windows sometimes looses a partition or two. I could expect to be
able to hide one :)

Michael

Thomas J. Gritzan

Hello,
I'm a student software developer.
As a part of an excerise I'm doing I'm trying to build a program to
create "mount files" and mount them. [...]
I downloaded Sarah's code, but it's in Delphi and I got really lost in
it. I hoped maybe someone here can help me and direct me.

The device driver is written in C. Only the GUI components are written in
Delphi. There is also a similar project called TrueCrypt which is in C and C++.

If you want to create a real drive (with drive letter), you'll also need a
device driver. Ask in a windows device driver or kernel programming group.