Create email message using scripting on webpage

I have an intranet webpage that currently generates new messages with
preloaded SUBJECT, FROM, TO, etc... It works well and it meets the current
needs.

I've just been told of some upcoming changes for the page and I need to be
able to include message content and maybe even attachments. I don't have any
processing ability on the server so ASP is out.

Is it possible to using scripting to generate an object and send an email
this way? I still need to rely on the client software to actually do the
sending.

All the machines are running at least IE6 and have at least MS Office 2000.

Can anyone make any suggestions on how I can do this, or if it's possible?

Travis Newbury

I have an intranet webpage that currently generates new messages with
preloaded SUBJECT, FROM, TO, etc... It works well and it meets the current
needs.

You really need to use form mail. It works a lot better, and is simple
to do. If you google "free form mail" you will find a whole bunch of
services .

rf

N said:
I have an intranet webpage that currently generates new messages with
preloaded SUBJECT, FROM, TO, etc... It works well and it meets the current
needs.

So, you are using mailto? OK for a totally controlled internet.
I've just been told of some upcoming changes for the page and I need to be
able to include message content and maybe even attachments. I don't have any
processing ability on the server so ASP is out.

Is it possible to using scripting to generate an object and send an email
this way? I still need to rely on the client software to actually do the
sending.

All the machines are running at least IE6 and have at least MS Office 2000.

Can anyone make any suggestions on how I can do this, or if it's possible?

Add &body= to the end of what you have. You would have to test it to make
sure the IE Outlook combination works.

BTW I found this by googling for "mailto subject from to", the very first
hit.

Neal

rf:
Ra. IntRAnet. :-(

<cheerleader>
Ra ra ra! Who's got HTML spirit? We do! We do!
</cheerleader>

(Reminds me of an old cheer: Rah rah ree, kick 'em in the knee/Rah rah
rass, kick 'em in the other knee...)

Roy Schestowitz

N said:
I have an intranet webpage that currently generates new messages with
preloaded SUBJECT, FROM, TO, etc... It works well and it meets the current
needs.

I've just been told of some upcoming changes for the page and I need to be
able to include message content and maybe even attachments. I don't have
any processing ability on the server so ASP is out.

Is it possible to using scripting to generate an object and send an email
this way? I still need to rely on the client software to actually do the
sending.

All the machines are running at least IE6 and have at least MS Office
2000.

Can anyone make any suggestions on how I can do this, or if it's possible?

I actually create a proper E-mail using JavaScript.

http://www.schestowitz.com/Feedback/

Prevents spam too!

Roy

rf

Roy said:
I actually create a proper E-mail using JavaScript.

You don't "create a proper email using javascript" here. You are just
sending it off to mailto: using the form action.

Your browser sniffer needs a serious overhall.

It reports Opera, IE5, IE5.5 and IE6 as IE4 whereas it reports IE4 as
nothing.

It reports Firefox as Netscape 5 (Hint, there never was a Netscape 5, just
IIRC a beta).

navigator.appName is a very poor way to determine which browser is being
used.
Prevents spam too!

How? Your email address is there in plain text. More importantly it
immediately follows mailto:. I would think that a harvestor would find it
instantly :)

C.W.

rf:

<cheerleader>
Ra ra ra! Who's got HTML spirit? We do! We do!
</cheerleader>

(Reminds me of an old cheer: Rah rah ree, kick 'em in the knee/Rah rah
rass, kick 'em in the other knee...)

Hehehehe! Or the ever classic, from my school days, "Omph! Ah! Kick
'em in the As ... aphalt"

Carol

Roy Schestowitz

rf said:
You don't "create a proper email using javascript" here. You are just
sending it off to mailto: using the form action.

You interpreted that very literally. JavaScripts assembles some values so
that I get information that I'm after.
Your browser sniffer needs a serious overhall.

It reports Opera, IE5, IE5.5 and IE6 as IE4 whereas it reports IE4 as
nothing.

It reports Firefox as Netscape 5 (Hint, there never was a Netscape 5, just
IIRC a beta).

navigator.appName is a very poor way to determine which browser is being
used.

Yes, I know. Do you think I _really_ mind? *smile*
How? Your email address is there in plain text. More importantly it
immediately follows mailto:. I would think that a harvestor would find it
instantly :)

It's not my E-mail address. Not address you see above either... these are
addresses I try to check once a week. 90%+ is spam.

Thanks Richard.

Roy

Travis Newbury

(Reminds me of an old cheer: Rah rah ree, kick 'em in the knee/Rah rah
rass, kick 'em in the other knee...)

"Hit'em high... Hit'em low...."
"Hit'em where their cherry's grow...."

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Roy Schestowitz ([email protected])
feverishly typed...
[Roy's javascript email form]
It's not my E-mail address. Not address you see above either... these
are addresses I try to check once a week. 90%+ is spam.

So, it goes to an address you only check once a week, which receives over
90% spam, yet you claim your script prevents spam?

And let's read this another way... You are promoting a script that sends
email to an account that is so innundated with spam (surely not helped by
having the address in plain text on the web page, and preceded by "mailto:")
that you only check it once a week?

And one more way... You have a form on a web site that sends the results to
an email account that you only check once a week? The Royal Mail is more
efficient than that!

Cheers,
Nige