Create IIS Virtual Directory from ASP.NET page...

David Conorozzo

I am running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise. I had
accomplished this by creating a COM+ application (.dll
that uses ADSI) that runs as a higher powered user than
the IIS process. No other method had worked for me (I
tried that LogonUser API and it didn't work).

Now, we set up a cluster. And I don't know how to set up
the COM+ application. I can't do it through Component
Manager, it just yells at me. I have no experience with
this stuff. I basically need a way to add some vrtual
directories to IIS from my web page (on the server side)
and then send the IIS metabase that was altered to all of
the other servers in the cluster (I was using IIS Sync but
before, I knew which server's metabase I was altering).

Thanks for any help.

David Conorozzo

Thanks. I know how to create a virtual directory
already. I did that in the COM+ application. I need to
be able to do it in an ASP.NET page and I am getting
authorization/access errors. I have now tried
impersonation in the web.config file of a XML Web Service
page, but that seems to be failing also. Is there some
ACL that needs to be set? Some registry key?

Natty Gur

OK,

I see, you need to assign user with administrative rights to do it. you
can try to the identity tag user and password of administrator just to
check it out. NOTE : that its extremely dangerous in term of security.

Natty Gur[MVP]
Phone Numbers:
Office: +972-(0)9-7740261
Fax: +972-(0)9-7740261
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

David Conorozzo

Natty Gur said:
OK,

I see, you need to assign user with administrative rights to do it. you
can try to the identity tag user and password of administrator just to
check it out. NOTE : that its extremely dangerous in term of security.

Natty Gur[MVP]
Phone Numbers:
Office: +972-(0)9-7740261
Fax: +972-(0)9-7740261
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

I did that and it worked (I also had to use IIS:\\MachineName instead
of IIS:\\localhost for some reason, localhost didn't work
consistantly). Now the problem is, when I moved this to my live
server it doesn't work. What could I be missing. I have the
impersonate set to an admin account. Is there some registry key
permission?

Natty Gur

Hi,

Probably the user you set with Identity tag doesn’t have administration
rights. Remember that using administrator is extremely dangerous, it’s
better to create special user for that task.

Natty Gur[MVP]
Phone Numbers:
Office: +972-(0)9-7740261
Fax: +972-(0)9-7740261
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

David Conorozzo

Natty Gur said:
Hi,

Probably the user you set with Identity tag doesn?t have administration
rights. Remember that using administrator is extremely dangerous, it?s
better to create special user for that task.

Natty Gur[MVP]
Phone Numbers:
Office: +972-(0)9-7740261
Fax: +972-(0)9-7740261
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

As I said before, I have the impersonate set to an admin account, so I
don't think that it is simply a rights issue.