Create users using aspnet_Membership_CreateUser sp from sql

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by LA_Guy, Aug 2, 2006.

  1. LA_Guy

    LA_Guy Guest

    Hi,

    I've been frustrated by not understanding how to replicate the hashing
    / encryption behaviour
    in the Membership class that does the CreateUser method.

    The associated stored procedure aspnet_Membership_CreateUser assumes
    that the parameters

    password
    passwordsalt
    security answer
    there fields have to be hashed/encrypted

    1. How is the passwordsalt created ?
    2. password is set from EncodePassword method
    3. security answer is hashed with the passwordsalt above

    My question is how to do the hashing of fields from a custom Users
    table
    so that I can add Users to the membership tables without using the
    Membership.CreateUser method in .NET 2.0

    Thanks, LA_Guy
    LA_Guy, Aug 2, 2006

  2. Hi,

    this is "propriety". If you want to use Sql membership to validate, then
    the fields must be in the format that is expected by the provider. Otherwise
    you need to write you own provider.

    You are of course free to use Reflector to "inspect" the algorithm and formats
    used.

    dominick

    Dominick Baier, Aug 2, 2006