Create website with user acounts for downloading songs?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by YEAH, Sep 12, 2004.

  1. YEAH

    YEAH Guest

    Hi!

    I want to create a website from which people should be able to request a
    piano accompaniment for Christian songs they want to use in their worship
    services. The idea is that they say what song they want, I play and record
    it, and make it available for them as an mp3-file to download it. And all
    that for free! :)

    Technically, it should work like the following:

    - The user signs up for my service and creates a user account with password

    - The user fills a form through his user acount to request a song they want
    me to play

    - I should see that form somewhere in an administrator account

    - I record the song in mp3-format

    - I upload it somewhere to the website

    - I make that song available to the user by posting the link to that song
    into the user's account

    - The user logs in, sees the link and downloads the song

    My question is: how can I do that :) I know, a very broad question... I have
    basic html skills, I have created a website before, but only using html
    files. For this project I would need much more than that, I just don't know
    what :) I know how to program in C++ and Java, if that's an advantage...

    I basically want to ask you guys to tell me roughly how I can approach such
    a project. I am willing to learn new stuff (CGI, Perl, PHP, ...) if
    necessary, but it would be easiest and fastest for me to just use some stuff
    that is already available, if there is something for my needs.

    Thanks for your help!

    Cristian
    YEAH, Sep 12, 2004

  2. YEAH

    Neal Guest

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 06:23:39 GMT, YEAH <> wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I want to create a website from which people should be able to request a
    > piano accompaniment for Christian songs they want to use in their worship
    > services. The idea is that they say what song they want, I play and
    > record
    > it, and make it available for them as an mp3-file to download it. And all
    > that for free! :)
    >
    > Technically, it should work like the following:
    >
    > - The user signs up for my service and creates a user account with
    > password

    Can be done with a CGI or even PHP as I understand, though I'm not an
    authority.

    > - The user fills a form through his user acount to request a song they
    > want
    > me to play

    Simple with a Perl script (CGI) emailed to you.

    > - I should see that form somewhere in an administrator account

    How about your email address?

    > - I record the song in mp3-format

    No advice needed.

    > - I upload it somewhere to the website

    Again...

    > - I make that song available to the user by posting the link to that song
    > into the user's account

    Might want to post it to a random URL and email them the link.

    > - The user logs in, sees the link and downloads the song

    Not even needed with my solution!

    > I know how to program in C++ and Java, if that's an advantage...

    Advantage over me. I can't program a microwave.

    > I basically want to ask you guys to tell me roughly how I can approach
    > such
    > a project. I am willing to learn new stuff (CGI, Perl, PHP, ...) if
    > necessary, but it would be easiest and fastest for me to just use some
    > stuff
    > that is already available, if there is something for my needs.

    Keep it simple. You're not going to get immense traffic, right? Seriously,
    how many people need this? So you could get by with a simple email-sending
    CGI for song requests.

    If it's bound to be more complicated than that, then I'll shut up.
    Neal, Sep 12, 2004

  3. "YEAH" <> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > I want to create a website from which people should be able to request a
    > piano accompaniment for Christian songs they want to use in their worship
    > services. The idea is that they say what song they want, I play and record
    > it, and make it available for them as an mp3-file to download it. And all
    > that for free! :)

    Since its all being done for free...why not take requests and then post them
    on a public "download" page for everyone?

    --Tina

    --
    FREE: Web hosting accounts
    HOSTING: Cpanel, Multi-domains, Resellers
    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Sep 12, 2004
  4. YEAH

    Sam Hughes Guest

    "YEAH" <> wrote in news:LXR0d.2184$5t4.1473@trnddc01:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I want to create a website from which people should be able to request
    > a piano accompaniment for Christian songs they want to use in their
    > worship services. The idea is that they say what song they want, I
    > play and record it, and make it available for them as an mp3-file to
    > download it. And all that for free! :)
    >
    > Technically, it should work like the following:
    >
    > - The user signs up for my service and creates a user account with
    > password
    >
    > - The user fills a form through his user acount to request a song they
    > want me to play

    Instead, have no user accounts, just a form for requests, including a
    field for the user's email address.

    > - I should see that form somewhere in an administrator account

    Okay. Or an email box of yours (because that solution is easier to do,
    since scripts already exist)

    > - I record the song in mp3-format

    Okay.

    > - I upload it somewhere to the website

    Okay.

    > - I make that song available to the user by posting the link to that
    > song into the user's account

    Since there are no user accounts by my model, post them in an
    alphabetized repository, and email the user the location of the file.
    It's not enjoyable for people to have 20 zillion places that may have
    messages they need to check; it's much simpler to have it sent to their
    email address. And this way, with a publicly accessible repository
    (possibly made with some PHP and a database), you won't get multiple
    requests for the same song.

    > My question is: how can I do that :) I know, a very broad question...
    > I have basic html skills, I have created a website before, but only
    > using html files. For this project I would need much more than that, I
    > just don't know what :) I know how to program in C++ and Java, if
    > that's an advantage...

    That's a great advantage, because now you have much less to learn. Other
    languages just require a different syntax. PHP should be easy to pick
    up... Just start at http://us2.php.net/tut.php for an introductory
    tutorial.
    Sam Hughes, Sep 12, 2004
  5. YEAH

    Cristian Guest

    Thanks for all your responses! I think I'm going to use an email form for
    the requests, as all of you suggested.

    I have one more question though: I want the requester to be able to send me
    the sheet music of the song as an image file, if available. How can this be
    accomplished? The user should be able to send the file through the form. I
    should receive then the file as an attachment in my email inbox. Is that
    possible?

    Thanks!

    Cristian

    Cristian, Sep 13, 2004