Createing new ASP.Net application using VB and VS2005

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by ScottB, Feb 19, 2006.

  1. ScottB

    ScottB Guest

    When creating website applications within Visual Studio 2005, I use the File
    System method because it meets the needs of our environment. In choosing the
    location of the directory where the files will reside, I can choose a share
    on a network file server or a local directory on my workstation. I use the
    network file server share because there are others who need access to the
    files as well, plus the files also get backed up.

    The problem I have is when I go to access the “Security†page on the Web
    Site Administration Tool (WAT), I get the following error message:

    An error occurred during the execution of the SQL file 'InstallCommon.sql'.
    The SQL error number is 5110 and the SqlException message is: The file
    "R:\HELLOWORLD\HELLOWORLDAPP\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB_TMP.MDF" is on a network path
    that is not supported for database files.

    If I use the File System method and choose a local directory, I don’t get
    the error message. But, the files need to reside on the network share so
    working locally is not really an option.

    My questions are many. Is there a permissions issue that I’m missing(I’ve
    tried many)? If I stay with the network file share will all web.config
    changes need to be done manually? If I configure the web.config manually,
    will I miss something by not having the ASPNETDB.MDF file in the App_Data
    folder? Do I need the ASPNETDB.MDF file in the App_Data folder or is it just
    backup? Even though I changed SQL providers from the local SQL Express to
    the stand alone SQL 2000 server, I was not able to see any of the
    configuration data in the SQL 2000 server tables so I suspect that the
    ASPNETDB.MDF file has some value. Is there any kind of work around that I
    can configure? The SQL data source has been configured using both the local
    SQL Express as well as an install of SQL 2000 on a stand alone server.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    --
    Scott

    ScottB, Feb 19, 2006

  2. ScottB wrote:
    > When creating website applications within Visual Studio 2005, I use

    While you may be lucky enough to find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who
    can answer your question, you can eliminate the luck factor by posting your
    suggest microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.

    > the File System method because it meets the needs of our environment.
    > In choosing the location of the directory where the files will
    > reside, I can choose a share on a network file server or a local
    > directory on my workstation. I use the network file server share
    > because there are others who need access to the files as well, plus
    > the files also get backed up.
    >
    > The problem I have is when I go to access the "Security" page on the
    > Web Site Administration Tool (WAT), I get the following error message:
    >
    > An error occurred during the execution of the SQL file
    > 'InstallCommon.sql'. The SQL error number is 5110 and the
    > SqlException message is: The file
    > "R:\HELLOWORLD\HELLOWORLDAPP\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB_TMP.MDF" is on a
    > network path that is not supported for database files.

    I think you need to use the UNC path rather than the mapped drive.
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Feb 20, 2006