CreateMHTMLBody with local ASP URL doesn't work

Braky Wacky

Here's my scenario. I have an ASP page that I call on my server, say:

http://myserver.com/firstPage.asp

In this first ASP page, I want to send a MIME email that has the
contents of another ASP page which is located on the same server. So
the code looks like:

<%
Set objCdoMesg = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")
objCdoMesg.CreateMHTMLBody("http://myserver.com/secondPage.asp")
objCdoMesg.To = "(e-mail address removed)"
objCdoMesg.From = "(e-mail address removed)"
objCdoMesg.Subject = "Testing MIME messages"
objCdoMesg.Send
%>

This process will hang on the CreateMHTMLBody() method call. If I
move the second page to another server and reference it there, it's
fine. If I rename the second page to "secondPage.html" and leave it
on the local server and reference it that way (the second page doesn't
have any ASP code in it at this point, just HTML), it's fine.

It seems like the only time the hang occurs is when the requested file
is an ASP page and is located on the local server.

Anyone seen anything like this? I'm running on Windows 2000 Server
with all the current security updates. Seems like it may be something
in the way the process(es) are running.

Thanks,
Kevin

Braky Wacky

I was thinking it was probably something along those lines, i.e. a
threading issue with the process. I've since backed out of the plan
to use that functionality in favor of a reasonable workaround. Thanks
for the link. I knew I had seen something similar with XMLHTTP, but
had forgotten about it.

I may revisit, building the functionality inside of .NET with COM
interop, to see if the .NET runtime plays any nicer with it. But
that's an exercise for another day.

Kevin

Braky Wacky

Yeah, I tried that. I had high hopes for that solution. :) Alas, it
was not meant to be; I saw the same behavior there too. Thanks for
the suggestion though.

Kevin