CreateObject error

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Minny, May 6, 2004.

  1. Minny

    Minny Guest

    I've got an asp page using CDONTS for mail. It's running on an NT4
    server with the latest updates. I don't have any problems with the
    page except I want to convert it to a vbscript (.vbs) file so that I
    can schedule it to run with Task Scheduler. So the original page
    works fine.

    I've copied the page code and edited it to scripting standards and
    saved it as a .vbs file. It's on the same server as the original asp
    page.

    But I get this error when it runs:
    ActiveX component can't create object: 'CDONTS.NewMail'

    I launch it thru a mapped drive on my local machine and a double
    click.

    I've searched the www high and low and can't find any solution that
    works - or makes sense to me.

    Any help is appreciated.
    Minny, May 6, 2004

  2. Minny

    Steven Burn Guest

    Might help if you posted the code causing the error? (including the first
    few lines before and after)

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, May 6, 2004

  3. > I launch it thru a mapped drive

    Why? If it's running on the local machine, and scheduled from the local
    machine, use a local drive letter.

    If you're trying to run it from another machine, you need to make sure it
    can actually run *on that machine* -- that's where CDONTS.NewMail needs to
    be available (and you need sufficient privileges to instantiate it
    remotely). If the other system is Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, it
    doesn't have CDONTS.NewMail. CDONTS has been deprecated anyway, so you
    should use CDO.Message (see http://www.aspfaq.com/2026).

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP
    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, May 6, 2004
  4. Minny

    Dominique Guest

    do a check c:\winnt\system32 folder for cdosys.*

    if you say you got all the latest updates i bet it should be there.. so use

    Dominique, May 6, 2004