CreateObject question

Casey Brown

Hi. I posted this on a VB group but was advised to move it here to .NET, so
my apologies if you frequent both groups.

In VB6 I made a DLL that uses CreateObject to work with Powerpoint. I am
getting
Error Number 70: Permission Denied when CreateObject is called from a .NET
web service. Powerpoint makes some registry edits to HKCU (Current User),
and it won't let the user ASPNET make those changes.

My DLL is going to reside on a machine with PPT installed and is going to
receive calls from the web service, which will likely be on a different
server. Seems to me that in order to make those calls successful, I either
need to change the permissions on the registry keys so that ASPNET can
change them OR else ASPNET would have to be given adminstrator privileges
for the machine with PPT installed. This will be on a corporate machine,
and I highly doubt sysadmin will like either option.

Are there other ways to solve this? Can I somehow A)Prevent powerpoint from
writing to registry or B)Call powerpoint as if I was the current user or C)
Do something wiser? I'm not sure option B will work, because there won't
necessarily be any user logged on.

Thanks in advance for any insights or advice you have!
-Casey