createTextNode and IE7

Randy Webb

Peter Michaux said the following on 12/15/2006 11:14 AM:
Hi Randy,

Is this file really working?

I can verify that my local copy works. As for the online copy, I can't
even get the nice wonderful AOL server to even serve me the file to test
it :\

After testing it with the full filename it seems to be loading it for me
now in Opera 9.0 and all of the buttons work as designed.

I emailed you all the files it uses. If it fails to send the files for
some reason, let me know and I will post a .zip file somewhere.
Now I'm getting all failures on the first test in the XP browsers I tried.

I gotta find a better server to put this stuff on.
It is strange though because on the
first two clicks I see no activity, on the third click i see
"Downloading blah blah blah" in the status bar but when it finishes
downloading I don't see the alert. I think the other tests are working
but maybe you can look again before I click about 100 times in 20
browsers.

I think that is more AOCrap's server than anything else.
Off topic but what is the difference with putting urls in <URL: > vs.
just in <> like VK suggested?

Two tests:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...op/author/dhtml/reference/methods/close_0.asp>

Easy enough to test. Let's see what the difference is with a long URL.

Peter Michaux

Randy said:
I can verify that my local copy works. As for the online copy, I can't
even get the nice wonderful AOL server to even serve me the file to test
it :\

After testing it with the full filename it seems to be loading it for me
now in Opera 9.0 and all of the buttons work as designed.

I emailed you all the files it uses. If it fails to send the files for
some reason, let me know and I will post a .zip file somewhere.

The attachments didn't come through on the email. I tried to reply to
you but the AOL postmaster says

<<< 550 hikksnotathome IS NOT ACCEPTING MAIL FROM THIS SENDER

I gotta find a better server to put this stuff on.

If you can post a zipped file I will put it up on my server.

I think that is more AOCrap's server than anything else.

The download times have been slow all along but this strange behavior
is new since you added the last two columns. I don't know what's up but
if you post the zip I imagine all will work.

Peter

Randy Webb

Peter Michaux said the following on 12/15/2006 12:06 PM:
The attachments didn't come through on the email. I tried to reply to
you but the AOL postmaster says

<<< 550 hikksnotathome IS NOT ACCEPTING MAIL FROM THIS SENDER

The email address on this post is indeed blocked. The email address to
use is the one in the FAQ for me. It is in the very last section of the FAQ.
If you can post a zipped file I will put it up on my server.

If it doesn't work, let me know.
The download times have been slow all along but this strange behavior
is new since you added the last two columns. I don't know what's up but
if you post the zip I imagine all will work.

Not sure why adding the last two columns would cause the first three to
stop working as nothing was changed in the code for the first three
columns as far as buttons are concerned.

Randy Webb

Peter Michaux said the following on 12/16/2006 12:13 AM:
I put it up here

It seems to be working more normally.The first column test is working
on the first click in IE5 and IE6 again.

I have 18 hours in the Los Angeles airport to kill. I'll probably find
some time to click a few tests :/

I spent 6 hours in the Las Vegas Airport before spending 4 hours in the
Atlanta airport Tuesday so I can empathize with you. Better you than me
though :)

Peter Michaux

Peter Michaux wrote:

[Re: createTextNode and script insertion]

Below are my results for the XP and OS X 10.4.8 browsers I have. I
tried to be very careful with version numbers. I can test 10.3 browsers
(Mac/IE 5.2 and Safari 1.3.9) in a couple days. It might be interesting
to add NN6.2.1, 6.2.2, 6.2.3 to see when the innerHTML stopped running
script elements <URL: http://sillydog.org/narchive/full67.php>

It looks like IE4 (no XHR) and iCab 3 (no mass popularity) are the only
lost causes for script insertion. A couple strange Opera results I
noticed too.

Peter

Randy Webb

Peter Michaux said the following on 12/16/2006 2:37 AM:
Peter Michaux wrote:

[Re: createTextNode and script insertion]

Below are my results for the XP and OS X 10.4.8 browsers I have. I
tried to be very careful with version numbers. I can test 10.3 browsers
(Mac/IE 5.2 and Safari 1.3.9) in a couple days. It might be interesting
to add NN6.2.1, 6.2.2, 6.2.3 to see when the innerHTML stopped running
script elements <URL: http://sillydog.org/narchive/full67.php>

innerHTML stopped changing it in 7.0PR1,

Results:

Netscape 7.0PR1 Win XP No No Yes Yes Yes
Netscape 6.2.3 Win XP No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Netscape 6.2.2 Win XP No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Netscape 6.2.1 Win XP No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Netscape 6.2.1 Win XP No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Netscape 6.1 Win XP No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Netscape 6.0.1 Win XP No No No No No
Netscape 6.0 Win XP No No No No No

Yes, I was extremely bored. Just don't ask me which versions support XHR
- I won't go through that again to find out :)
It looks like IE4 (no XHR) and iCab 3 (no mass popularity) are the only
lost causes for script insertion. A couple strange Opera results I
noticed too.

I retested it in my O7.54 and got the same results of it only working
the first time.

Duplicated in 8.01 I think what it is doing is executing it when you set
..text and then again when you appendChild the script block. Have to test
it later after sleep and find out.

Duplicated in 7.54

I have an updated index file for this that covers the NS6-8 browsers
along with the additional test results that I will get uploaded later
this afternoon if AOL will cooperate with me.

Peter Michaux

Randy said:
innerHTML stopped changing it in 7.0PR1,

Results:

Netscape 7.0PR1 Win XP No No Yes Yes Yes
Netscape 6.2.3 Win XP No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Netscape 6.2.2 Win XP No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Netscape 6.2.1 Win XP No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Netscape 6.2.1 Win XP No Yes Yes Yes Yes

without the ".1", I imagine.
Netscape 6.1 Win XP No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Netscape 6.0.1 Win XP No No No No No
Netscape 6.0 Win XP No No No No No

Yes, I was extremely bored. Just don't ask me which versions support XHR
- I won't go through that again to find out :)

You can always check the group FAQ :)

To figure that out for the FAQ, I tested 6.0, 6.1 and 6.2 and assume
following point releases of 6.2 have XHR also.

Peter

Peter Michaux

Peter Michaux ha escrito:
Peter Michaux wrote:

[Re: createTextNode and script insertion]

Below are my results for two older Mac browsers.

Randy, what will you make of all these results? Will you upload a
summary?

Peter

Randy Webb

Peter Michaux said the following on 12/18/2006 3:30 PM:
Peter Michaux ha escrito:
Peter Michaux wrote:

[Re: createTextNode and script insertion]

Below are my results for two older Mac browsers.

Randy, what will you make of all these results?

I think the biggest thing it does is give a reference point so that if
someone is testing and wants to insert scripts it is a place to look it
up and see if it is known - or not - whether it works in a particular
OS/Browser combination.
Will you upload a summary?

About the only summary I can think of for it would be an article
(perhaps for the Notes section of the FAQ) on loading JS files and
inserting script blocks dynamically and where it does/doesn't work.
Probably some type of FAQ question along the lines of "Why doesn't my
script get executed when it is inserted after an AJAX request?" type
question. It is what I alluded to when I said I saw it coming and was
trying to stay ahead of the curve on it.