Creating a "Be Patient" window b4 calling a perl cgi script?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Lisa, Dec 14, 2004.

  1. Lisa

    Lisa Guest

    I have a Perl script that's called as a CGI to handle the form
    submission from a browser, thru which a user from the web can up load
    an image file. I would like, when the user clicks the "Send Image"
    button, to pop up a small window containing an animated (working -
    please be patient) .gif while the image is uploaded from thier computer
    to the server, once the transfer is complete, I would like to close the
    pop up window and then load the new page in the original window.

    That being the said, the Perl script won't be called at all until the
    upload is finished, at which point its too late to do something like
    what I am describing here.

    Is there a way to open this popup window as possably a child of the
    current window (inwhich the user clicked the button) so that the "Be
    patient window" displays the gif, then once the upload is complete and
    the Perl script is finaly called, which would then update the original
    window causing the popup to close automaticly?

    If so how would one do this, or some such other reasonably close
    sequence of events?

    Lisa

    Lisa, Dec 14, 2004