Creating a byte[] of long size

ClassCastException

Unless these features are tied to the syntax, then people will prefer a
language with those features and a more standard syntax.

Perhaps. If there is one.

As for tying features to syntax, macros are especially difficult to pull
off well in a language with a non-Lispy syntax. The other features I
mentioned are mostly not so strongly influenced by, or influencing,
syntax.
Sure. But not enough to make the language a success.

At least for now.
Probably James Cameron.

Oho!

Arne Vajhøj

Perhaps. If there is one.

If there is none, then one will be created.
As for tying features to syntax, macros are especially difficult to pull
off well in a language with a non-Lispy syntax. The other features I
mentioned are mostly not so strongly influenced by, or influencing,
syntax.

Arne

Lew

ClassCastException said:
Well, pardon me for being more humorous than exactingly precise in a MADE-
UP EXAMPLE.

You are pardoned. Go and sin no more.

As for "exactingly precise", a phrase by which you hope to indicate that your
comments were in some fashion related to reality and only off by the humor
factor, you weren't even in the same set of physical laws.

Arne Vajhøj

Faith-based "reasoning" doesn't sway me; sorry. Show me one and then I
might believe you.

It is not faith based.

It is strongly empirical that if a lot of people
want something then somebody will create it.

It is the basis of the economy in almost
all the world.

Arne

ClassCastException

It is not faith based.

It is strongly empirical that if a lot of people want something then
somebody will create it.

Oh? Then where is it?

Or perhaps you're wrong and most people who want that combination of
features are perfectly happy with Lispy syntax.

Lew

Oh? Then where is it?

You've completely and utterly missed his point, which is precisely that it
does not exist. Ergo one must conclude that a lot of people don't want it.
Or perhaps you're wrong and most people who want that combination of
features are perfectly happy with Lispy syntax.

And again the point just went flying past you, didn't it,
"ClassCastException". Arne was saying that that set of people is rather
small. You both can be correct if virtually no one wants those features, and
those few who do are not necessarily "perfectly happy with Lispy [sic] syntax"
(for which you provide no evidence whatsoever), but are at least unwilling or
insufficiently numerous to press for anything better.

Andreas Leitgeb

Lew said:
You've completely and utterly missed his point, which is precisely that it
does not exist. Ergo one must conclude that a lot of people don't want it.

That point wasn't really made by Arne (no matter if or not he intended to).

He made a statement about some need in the presence causing some effect in the
future ("... somebody will ...").

So, from *current* lack of the effect, no *current* lack of need can thereby
be deduced. If anything, then a lack of need at some time sufficiently far
in the past.

PS: Lew, please leave ">"-indentation of attribution lines intact. E.g., if
the attribution line has only one ">" and the following text has three,
then one would read it such that the attributed one only quoted that text,
rather than wrote it. (Yes, I did look up the parent posts to see who
wrote what, before correcting the attributions, now.)

ClassCastException

Your pardon is withdrawn.

You talk like you expect me to give a damn. Perhaps if you were actually
in some position of authority around here, I would. Though, more likely,
given your unexplainable hostile demeanor and evident lack of fairness,
I'd simply plot your overthrow. As things actually are, though, I needn't
bother.

ClassCastException

You've completely and utterly missed his point

Did I ask you for your opinion?

No?

Then butt out. This is, obviously, between me and him. I'm sure he can
argue his own case without needing any "help" from you. Particularly not
"help" that consists solely of personal attacks rather than meaningful
argument on the actual topic.
And again the point just went flying past you, didn't it

No, it did not.
Arne was saying that that set of people is rather small.

Actually, he wasn't. He may have been *thinking* it, but if he intended
to *say* it he didn't do a very good job of it. The only number that's
*evidently* small is the number of people that want that combo of
features *and* don't want lispy syntax.

ClassCastException

PS: Lew, please leave ">"-indentation of attribution lines intact. E.g.,
if
the attribution line has only one ">" and the following text has
three, then one would read it such that the attributed one only quoted
that text, rather than wrote it. (Yes, I did look up the parent posts
to see who wrote what, before correcting the attributions, now.)

If only Lew's freaky quoting style were the only thing he did that was
annoying!

Lew

Did I ask you for your opinion?

No?

Then butt out. This is, obviously, between me and him. I'm sure he can
argue his own case without needing any "help" from you. Particularly not
"help" that consists solely of personal attacks rather than meaningful
argument on the actual topic.

I do beg your pardon. I should not have interjected an opinion on your
comments nor his, of course. I withdraw from this topic forthwith, forsooth.