Creating a custom project in VC++ .NET 2003

Discussion in 'C++' started by 50295@web.de, Oct 7, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi -

    I program in C++ but I'm not good with VC++ (yet). I will like to
    create a custom project for which a specific template or wizard does
    not exist.

    Because the program is a console application, I started out with the
    Win32 Console Project template. Having done that, the problem is that
    my application uses a custom header files and libraries (see code
    below) that VC++ does not know about. My question therefore is how do I
    configure the project to find these header files and libaries?

    Thanks

    - Olumide

    //////////////// code /////////////////////

    #include "stdafx.h"
    #include <Matrix.h> // <- Header file

    int main(int argc, char* argv[])
    {
    Matrix m; // <- Class defined by library
    return 0;
    }
    , Oct 7, 2005

  2. mlimber Guest

    Re: Creating a custom project in VC++ .NET 2003

    wrote:
    > Hi -
    >
    > I program in C++ but I'm not good with VC++ (yet). I will like to
    > create a custom project for which a specific template or wizard does
    > not exist.
    >
    > Because the program is a console application, I started out with the
    > Win32 Console Project template. Having done that, the problem is that
    > my application uses a custom header files and libraries (see code
    > below) that VC++ does not know about. My question therefore is how do I
    > configure the project to find these header files and libaries?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > - Olumide
    >

    > //////////////// code /////////////////////
    >
    > #include "stdafx.h"
    > #include <Matrix.h> // <- Header file
    >

    > int main(int argc, char* argv[])
    > {
    > Matrix m; // <- Class defined by library
    > return 0;
    > }

    This newsgroup is concerned with standard C++ only. You should post to

    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
    microsoft.public.vc.language

    or the like.

    Cheers! --M
    mlimber, Oct 7, 2005

  3. Daniel Moree Guest

    don't worry, i got the fix for ya.

    Get a copy of Matrix.h, put it in the same directory as your VC++
    project and just use this
    #include "Matrix.h"

    if you don't like that and would rather have a directory that you want
    to use for all your custom headers follow the below instructions to
    setup VC++ to pull headers from the standard header folder and from your
    custom header folder.

    Startup VC++ .NET
    Click Tools->Options
    Click on Projects (almost at the bottom of the list)
    Click on VC++ Directories
    Click on the combo box that says Show Directories For:
    Click on Include Files
    Click on the New Liine button (the one with the little folder on it)
    Enter the path to the directory of your custom headers!

    now when you compile any VC++ project, it will check those listed
    directories for the include files.

    Daniel
    Daniel Moree, Oct 7, 2005