Creating a File Depot

Jerry Camel

I'm trying to create a file depot that will hold files for 24 hours and then
kill them. Basically a temporary place for people to post something that
will automatically notify the person that it's posted for. Although I'm new
to ASP and HTML, I've got quite a bit of development experience. If this
wasn't web based it'd be a peice of cake... But I'm not sure how to do a
couple of things through the web...

I figure I'll write a service that will clean up the files - easy. User's
will login and be presented with a list of files waiting for them. - Mostly
done.

Users can transfer files to the server - How? How do I have a user select a
local file and have it copied to a pre-determined place on the server? Then
I need to accomplish the opposite: Have them select a file waiting for them
and have it copied to a specified location on their drive. How do you do
this through a web page? How can you make it secure so that people can't
get to these files without going through this interface? Any help is
greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jerry

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

In short, you can use the file upload control on your toolbar, or type it
into the HTML manually.
<input type=file id=myFile runat=server />
This allows the user to upload files to your site. You can then use the
server side events of this control to save the file wherever you'd like on
your server hard drive or in a database.
Then you could use Response.Writefile to send the file back out again.
Here's more info:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...fsystemwebhttpresponseclasswritefiletopic.asp

Here's a couple good tutorials on the subject for you:
http://www.aspnetpro.com/features/2003/07/asp200307so_f/asp200307so_f.asp
http://aspalliance.com/das/tutorial/fileupload.aspx

Jerry Camel

Maybe the problem is that I was making this much more complicated than it
apparently is.
I'm assuming you mean the "File Field" control on the HTML toobar, right?
Or am I missing one on the "Web Forms" toolbar?

Your help is very appreciated.

Jerry

Jerry Camel

Works like a charm. Is there any way to show file upload progress or would
that require a custom control? Thanks.

Jerry