Creating a File Depot

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jerry Camel, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Jerry Camel

    Jerry Camel Guest

    I'm trying to create a file depot that will hold files for 24 hours and then
    kill them. Basically a temporary place for people to post something that
    will automatically notify the person that it's posted for. Although I'm new
    to ASP and HTML, I've got quite a bit of development experience. If this
    wasn't web based it'd be a peice of cake... But I'm not sure how to do a
    couple of things through the web...

    I figure I'll write a service that will clean up the files - easy. User's
    will login and be presented with a list of files waiting for them. - Mostly
    done.

    Users can transfer files to the server - How? How do I have a user select a
    local file and have it copied to a pre-determined place on the server? Then
    I need to accomplish the opposite: Have them select a file waiting for them
    and have it copied to a specified location on their drive. How do you do
    this through a web page? How can you make it secure so that people can't
    get to these files without going through this interface? Any help is
    greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    Jerry

    Jerry Camel, Feb 5, 2004

  2. In short, you can use the file upload control on your toolbar, or type it
    into the HTML manually.
    <input type=file id=myFile runat=server />
    This allows the user to upload files to your site. You can then use the
    server side events of this control to save the file wherever you'd like on
    your server hard drive or in a database.
    Then you could use Response.Writefile to send the file back out again.
    Here's more info:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...fsystemwebhttpresponseclasswritefiletopic.asp

    Here's a couple good tutorials on the subject for you:
    http://www.aspnetpro.com/features/2003/07/asp200307so_f/asp200307so_f.asp
    http://aspalliance.com/das/tutorial/fileupload.aspx

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Feb 5, 2004

  3. Jerry Camel

    Jerry Camel Guest

    Maybe the problem is that I was making this much more complicated than it
    apparently is.
    I'm assuming you mean the "File Field" control on the HTML toobar, right?
    Or am I missing one on the "Web Forms" toolbar?

    Your help is very appreciated.

    Jerry

    Jerry Camel, Feb 5, 2004
  4. You are correct. Use the "File Field" control on the HTML toolbar.

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Feb 5, 2004
  5. Jerry Camel

    Jerry Camel Guest

    Works like a charm. Is there any way to show file upload progress or would
    that require a custom control? Thanks.

    Jerry

    Jerry Camel, Feb 5, 2004
  6. That would require a custom control.