Creating a function

David

Hi,

This is causing me a few problems as I am not sure how to handle this...

I have a data access layer. My layer is built in such a way that I can use
any database type I choose, such as SQL Server, MySQL etc.

Now, in my layer, I have all my SQL statements and use parameterised
queries. An example of a parameter is...

cmd = DL.CreateCommand(sql, conn);

param = DL.CreateDataParameter();
param.ParameterName = "@DomainName";
param.DbType = DbType.String;
param.Value = DomainName;

cmd.Parameters.Add(param);

(DL is the data layer)

What I would like to do somehow is to call a function and pass the values,
but I am not sure how the function should be constructed.

I want to be able to call it something like...

param = BuildParam("@DomainName", DbType.String, ValueString).

The reason being is my Datalayer is getting quite big now, much of the space
is taken by declaring my parameters like what is shown.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW. Thanks Alexei, the keys in my web.config to allow authentication across
applications worked great.

--
Best regards,
Dave Colliver.

Guest

Something like this is how I might do it (this is untested "Pseudocode"):

public IDbCommand AddParameter(IDbCommand cmd, string paramName, DbType
paramType, object paramValue )
{

IDataParameter param = new (whatever the database provider is, e.g.
SqlParameter)
param.Name = paramName;
param.DbType = paramType;
param.Value =paramValue;
cmd.Parameters.Add(param)
return cmd;
}

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.idataparameter_members(vs.71).aspx

Peter

Jon Paal [MSMD]

This style of coding may help streamline:

Sub Dothis(byVal DomainName As String, byVal Something As Integer)

With cmd.Parameters
.Add(New SqlParameter("@DomainName", DomainName))
.Add(New SqlParameter("@Something", Something))
End With

End sub

David

Fantastic. This lead me onto....

in my calling location
cmd.Parameters.Add(AddParameter(DL.CreateDataParameter(), cmd,
"@DomainName", DbType.String, DomainName));

public IDataParameter AddParameter(IDataParameter param, IDbCommand cmd,
string paramName, DbType paramType, object paramValue )
{
param.ParameterName = paramName;
param.DbType = paramType;
param.Value =paramValue;
return param;
}

Looking at this, I can remove the cmd portion as well.

Once I understood this, I then went further using your code more closely
(where I need the cmd portion)

cmd = AddParameter(DL, cmd, "@DomainName", DbType.String, DomainName);

public IDbCommand AddParameter(DataAccessLayer.ProviderFactory DL,
IDbCommand cmd, string paramName, DbType paramType, object paramValue )
{

IDataParameter param = DL.CreateDataParameter();
param.ParameterName = paramName;
param.DbType = paramType;
param.Value =paramValue;
cmd.Parameters.Add(param);

return cmd;
}

Thanks.

I am gonna have a big job now re-writing my code to use this...

--
Best regards,
Dave Colliver.