Creating A Mailing List Using ASP

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by IC, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. IC

    IC Guest

    Hi,

    I'm building a website and I want to include a mailing list. I just
    want a form where a user could enter their email address, so I could
    send them more information. I assume that the best way to do this is
    with ASP. Right now, I'm learning ASP by testing pages using Abyss
    web sever with Active HTML. I have XP Home, so I can't use IIS. Here
    are my questions:

    1. Is ASP the best way to create a mailing list
    2. Can I just use excel for the database - not access
    3. How do I connect to the database. I've read about using ODBC, but
    I think that would only work when the web server is on my computer. If
    I got someone to host the site for me, I don't think that would work.
    4. Is there an easy way to mail to the names in the database?

    Hopefully I'm on the right track.

    Thanks,

    IC, Jan 27, 2004

  2. IC

    Ray at Guest

    "IC" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm building a website and I want to include a mailing list. I just
    > want a form where a user could enter their email address, so I could
    > send them more information. I assume that the best way to do this is
    > with ASP. Right now, I'm learning ASP by testing pages using Abyss
    > web sever with Active HTML. I have XP Home, so I can't use IIS. Here
    > are my questions:
    >
    > 1. Is ASP the best way to create a mailing list

    This depends on how you want your users to sign up. The question isn't so
    much is ASP the best way as much as it would be, "Is a Web site the best
    way?" I'd say that's the most common or second most common way, the other
    being a majordomo type of thing.

    > 2. Can I just use excel for the database - not access

    If you want, but why?

    > 3. How do I connect to the database. I've read about using ODBC, but
    > I think that would only work when the web server is on my computer. If
    > I got someone to host the site for me, I don't think that would work.

    Many hosts allow you to use database connections if they support ASP.

    > 4. Is there an easy way to mail to the names in the database?

    Not if your host doesn't allow you to schedule tasks on the server, which
    they probably won't let you do if it's a shared plan. Have you considered
    using a service that offers mailing lists instead of creating your own? It
    doesn't sound to me that you're ready to create your own or willing to
    invest in what would be needed to do it right. (I don't mean that in an
    insutling way!)

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Jan 27, 2004

  3. IC

    Michael Guest

    If you are just now learning ASP, you may want to consider just starting
    with ASP.NET. If you download Web Matrix, it comes with it's own web
    server, so you wouldn't have to mess with Abyss. The .NET framework has
    built in capabilities for email as well (provided you have an email server),
    and probably would make interacting with a database easier. ASP would be a
    fine solution for this too, if you are just learning (.NET is sometimes a
    little overkill), but definitely, definitely don't use Excel for your
    database (I'm an avid hater of people who write applications around Excel).
    You can use access files .mdb, even if you do not have access installed
    (though it is much easier for debugging if you do have it). If you don't
    have access, yea, go ahead and use Excel. There are about a million
    different faqs out there for how to connect to a database, if you use ASP
    you'll need to study up on ADO. ASP.NET would use ADO.NET.

    Have fun,
    --Michael

    Michael, Jan 27, 2004
  4. > I'm an avid hater of people who write applications around Excel

    Ouch! I usually tend to merely laugh at them. :)

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Jan 27, 2004
  5. IC

    IC Guest

    "Aaron Bertrand - MVP" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > I'm an avid hater of people who write applications around Excel

    > Ouch! I usually tend to merely laugh at them. :)

    Thanks for your help. I don't have access, so that's why I wanted to
    be able to use excel. I do want to do this the "right way" and I want
    to learn how to do it myself. The site I'm building is very small...I
    can't see the database having more than 100 or so email addresses.
    All I really want is a simple form with an action url calling an asp
    page. The asp code would write to a database - excel or access - and
    have all the email addresses.

    IC, Jan 28, 2004
  6. IC

    Michael Guest

    Yeah it's all funny until the boss man wants you to "work around it" because
    they were sold on the presentation layer not the implementation.

    Michael, Jan 28, 2004
  7. IC

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On 27 Jan 2004 12:37:51 -0800, (IC) wrote:

    >I'm building a website and I want to include a mailing list. I just
    >want a form where a user could enter their email address, so I could
    >send them more information. I assume that the best way to do this is
    >with ASP. Right now, I'm learning ASP by testing pages using Abyss
    >web sever with Active HTML. I have XP Home, so I can't use IIS. Here
    >are my questions:
    >
    >1. Is ASP the best way to create a mailing list

    Almost never. :)

    >2. Can I just use excel for the database - not access

    Yes, even though it's ugly. You could use just a text file as well.

    >3. How do I connect to the database. I've read about using ODBC, but
    >I think that would only work when the web server is on my computer. If
    >I got someone to host the site for me, I don't think that would work.

    Most hosts will accept some form of database connection. A text file
    wouldn't necessarily need a connection, just an open.

    >4. Is there an easy way to mail to the names in the database?

    You're looking at using CDO or a component if you're using ASP.
    Better would be a mailing list package for the SMTP mail server you
    use. Might look at:

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2119

    Jeff