    thanks
    from Peter ()
    , Jul 21, 2013

  2. Keith D. Lee Guest

    On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 22:06:24 -0700, mcheung63 wrote:

    > Hi All.
    > creating a new language, i want to call it Titan. Is this word easy
    > to pronounce? i am not western people so want to ask.
    > thanks from Peter ()

    Peter:
    Sounds great to me. What are the differences and/or similarities between Titan and Java?

    --
    Sincerely,
    Keith D. Lee
    Keith D. Lee, Jul 21, 2013

  3. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 7/21/2013 1:06 AM, wrote:
    > creating a new language, i want to call it Titan. Is this word easy to pronounce? i am not western people so want to ask.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan indicates Titan is widely used for
    names (but no programming language yet).

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 21, 2013

    Thanks Keith
    It would be a cloud programming language
    , Jul 22, 2013

    Arne Vajhøjæ–¼ 2013å¹´7月21日星期日UTC+8下åˆ9時27分07秒寫é“:
    > On 7/21/2013 1:06 AM, wrote:
    >
    > > creating a new language, i want to call it Titan. Is this word easyto pronounce? i am not western people so want to ask.

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan indicates Titan is widely used for
    >
    > names (but no programming language yet).
    >

    > Arne

    Thanks Arne
    , Jul 22, 2013
  6. Jan Burse Guest

    schrieb:
    > Hi All.
    > creating a new language, i want to call it Titan. Is this word easy to pronounce? i am not western people so want to ask.
    > thanks
    > from Peter ()

    I wouldn't use a name that is already found in a dictionary.
    You will later have search engine optimization (SEO) problems.
    Its better to invent a name that is new.

    But otherwise I think the name could be also improved what
    concerns the number of vowels. Names such as Java, Modula, etc..
    have a higher vowel ration than Titan.

    Bye
    Jan Burse, Jul 22, 2013
  7. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 7/22/2013 5:42 AM, Jan Burse wrote:
    > schrieb:
    >> creating a new language, i want to call it Titan. Is this word
    >> easy to pronounce? i am not western people so want to ask.

    > I wouldn't use a name that is already found in a dictionary.
    > You will later have search engine optimization (SEO) problems.
    > Its better to invent a name that is new.

    I doubt that Google ranking for a languages name is
    that important.

    > But otherwise I think the name could be also improved what
    > concerns the number of vowels. Names such as Java, Modula, etc..
    > have a higher vowel ration than Titan.

    Ada - 67%
    Java, Modula, Ruby - 50%
    Oberon - 43%
    Cobol, Basic - 40%
    Pascal, Python - 33%
    JavaScript - 30%
    Fortran - 28%
    Lisp - 25%
    C, C++, C#, PHP - 0%

    It is not that obvious that more wovels means more popular.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 23, 2013
  8. Jan Burse Guest

    Arne Vajhøj schrieb:
    > I doubt that Google ranking for a languages name is
    > that important.

    Maybe not for the language design, but for the
    end-users. Compare the following two searches:

    go bug
    go programming language bug

    Further search engine optimization should address
    all search engines. Means not only google:

    In the People's Republic of China, Baidu
    held a 61.6% market share for web search
    in July 2009. In Russian Federation,
    Yandex holds around 60% of the market
    share as of April 2012.

    Finally finding a new name can be surprisingly
    difficult. A name original in one language region
    can mean somthing in another language region.

    Bye
    Jan Burse, Jul 23, 2013
  9. On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 09:06:03 +0200, Jan Burse <>
    wrote:

    [snip]

    >Finally finding a new name can be surprisingly
    >difficult. A name original in one language region
    >can mean somthing in another language region.

    Or in another use of language area.

    An example of this is looking up information on CARDIAC
    (Cardboard Illustrative Aid to Computation) without spelling out the
    acronym.

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko
    Gene Wirchenko, Jul 23, 2013
  10. Jan Burse Guest

    Gene Wirchenko schrieb:
    > Or in another use of language area.
    > Gene Wirchenko

    Yeah, it is sad. For example if you search for
    Java on google, you won't get the Java island
    on the first 10 hits. Although Java, the island,
    has 141 millionen inhabitants.

    Bye
    Jan Burse, Jul 23, 2013
  11. Jan Burse Guest

    Jan Burse schrieb:
    > Gene Wirchenko schrieb:
    >> Or in another use of language area.
    >> Gene Wirchenko

    > Yeah, it is sad. For example if you search for
    > Java on google, you won't get the Java island
    > on the first 10 hits. Although Java, the island,
    > has 141 millionen inhabitants.
    >
    > Bye

    But you won't have the above problem, if
    you choose a word that is not contained
    in vocabularies.

    Titan is not such a word. Java, Ada,
    Oberon are neither. Modula on the other
    hand is a recent creation.

    But I guess one has not only to scan
    vocabularies, but also brand registers
    etc..

    For example although modula is not
    a common word, it is found in many
    product names:

    Atradius Modula
    modula wave
    Notebook MODULA 15M02
    modula city
    modula rosti mepal
    modula lift
    modula plus berding

    Bye
    Jan Burse, Jul 24, 2013
  12. Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 22:06:24 -0700 (PDT), wrote,

    > creating a new language, i want to call it Titan.

    It is easy to pronounce, but it already has two meanings -- the moon
    and the giants of Greek mythology. It might also get confused with
    Titian the artist.

    For google, you want a unique spelling.

    A cloud language might be named with a modification of some Latin word
    for a type of cloud. e.g. cir, cumu

    Getting information off the Internet is
    like taking a drink from a fire hydrant.
    ~ Mitch Kapor 1950-11-01
    Roedy Green, Jul 24, 2013
  13. Joerg Meier Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 01:05:37 +0200, Jan Burse wrote:

    > Jan Burse schrieb:
    >> Gene Wirchenko schrieb:
    >>> Or in another use of language area.
    >>> Gene Wirchenko

    >> Yeah, it is sad. For example if you search for
    >> Java on google, you won't get the Java island
    >> on the first 10 hits. Although Java, the island,
    >> has 141 millionen inhabitants.

    > But you won't have the above problem, if
    > you choose a word that is not contained
    > in vocabularies.

    > Titan is not such a word. Java, Ada,
    > Oberon are neither. Modula on the other
    > hand is a recent creation.

    Another solution is an intentional "misspelling", such as with Google Guice
    (which is pronounced Juice, which obviously wouldn't be terribly
    google-able).

    Liebe Gruesse,
    Joerg

    ungelesen.
    Joerg Meier, Jul 24, 2013
  14. Joerg Meier Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 01:24:07 -0700, Roedy Green wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 22:06:24 -0700 (PDT), wrote,
    >> creating a new language, i want to call it Titan.

    > It is easy to pronounce, but it already has two meanings -- the moon
    > and the giants of Greek mythology. It might also get confused with
    > Titian the artist.

    The moon is of course named after the mythology, as are a LOT of other
    things:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan

    Who knew there was a SUNFLOWER type named Titan ? You learn something new
    every day.

    Liebe Gruesse,
    Joerg

    ungelesen.
    Joerg Meier, Jul 24, 2013
  15. Lew Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > mcheung63 wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >> creating a new language, i [sic] want to call it Titan.

    > It is easy to pronounce, but it already has two meanings -- the moon
    > and the giants of Greek mythology.

    The moon is named after the Greek myth, so that really isn't two things, exactly.

    "Titan" is also a general word meaning "large presence", as in "he is a titan of industry".

    All three of those things might well be desirable associations for this new language. They
    sure don't seem like negatives or reasons to avoid the name.

    > It might also get confused with Titian the artist.

    Not a chance. Most people aren't as erudite as you. Those who might think you mean
    "Titian" are the sort likely to be aware that it is not the same as "Titan".

    > For google, you want a unique spelling.

    Not really, at least not inherently. For example, if you are interested in Java 'for' loops,
    obviously you don't search for "for", but for "Java for loop". You cannot second-guess others'
    google-fu to come up with your own name.

    > A cloud language might be named with a modification of some Latin word
    > for a type of cloud. e.g. cir, cumu

    Ok, "cumu" is an awful name for a product. "Cumulo", maybe. "Nimbus" or some variant, surely.
    "Stratus" makes sense, and so does "Cirrus".

    OTOH, a cloud language (what *is* a "cloud language"?) might not be named with a variant
    of some Latin word for a type of cloud.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jul 24, 2013
  16. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 7/23/2013 3:06 AM, Jan Burse wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj schrieb:
    >> I doubt that Google ranking for a languages name is
    >> that important.

    > Maybe not for the language design, but for the
    > end-users. Compare the following two searches:
    >
    > go bug
    > go programming language bug

    I know that I would never chose a language
    based on how easy it is to search for in google.

    I find it hard to believe that other will.

    But ....

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 24, 2013
  17. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 7/24/2013 4:24 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 22:06:24 -0700 (PDT), wrote,
    >
    >> creating a new language, i want to call it Titan.

    > It is easy to pronounce, but it already has two meanings -- the moon
    > and the giants of Greek mythology. It might also get confused with
    > Titian the artist.
    >
    > For google, you want a unique spelling.

    So Java is doomed because there is an island with that name.

    And C# is doomed because that is used in music.

    I don't think so.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 24, 2013
  18. Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 15:10:03 -0700 (PDT), Lew <>

    >The moon is named after the Greek myth, so that really isn't two things, exactly.

    From the point of view of looking things up, it is two quite different
    things. Sometimes you want the moon, sometimes the mythology. The
    mythological connection is most of the time irrelevant and just a
    nuisance when you google "Titan".

    In a similar way "orange" the colour and "orange" the fruit are two
    different things even though they are logically related.
    Truth is much too complicated to allow anything but approximations.
    ~ John von Neumann (born: 1903-12-28 died: 1957-02-08 at age: 53)
    Roedy Green, Jul 25, 2013
  19. Lew Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > Lew wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >>The moon is named after the Greek myth, so that really isn't two things, exactly.

    > From the point of view of looking things up, it is two quite different
    > things. Sometimes you want the moon, sometimes the mythology. The

    And then you add "moon" or "myth" to your search terms.

    > mythological connection is most of the time irrelevant and just a
    > nuisance when you google "Titan".

    Anyone who just googles "Titan" doesn't know how to do online searches.

    > In a similar way "orange" the colour and "orange" the fruit are two
    > different things even though they are logically related.

    So by your logic we should change one of those in order to make it easier to search.

    Pretty much any search based on just one word is a stupidly framed search, so none of
    that argument is relevant.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jul 25, 2013
  20. Eric Sosman Guest

    On 7/24/2013 6:50 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > On 7/24/2013 4:24 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
    >> On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 22:06:24 -0700 (PDT), wrote,
    >> quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >>
    >>> creating a new language, i want to call it Titan.

    >> It is easy to pronounce, but it already has two meanings -- the moon
    >> and the giants of Greek mythology. It might also get confused with
    >> Titian the artist.
    >>
    >> For google, you want a unique spelling.

    > So Java is doomed because there is an island with that name.
    >
    > And C# is doomed because that is used in music.
    >
    > I don't think so.

    He could try "hiybbprqag" ...

    --
    Eric Sosman